Unexpected delays slow delivery of custom-built MacBook Pros, Apple says

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Users who have purchased Apple's new 15-inch MacBook Pro models with build-to-order options have been notified that their shipments are delayed.

A number of customers who ordered new MacBook Pros the day they were released were originally quoted ship dates within a few weeks. Now, those customers have told AppleInsider, those orders have been pushed back to early May.

One customer ordered a custom configuration MacBook Pro with the antiglare screen and extra memory on the day the hardware was released. While it was originally scheduled to be delivered between April 20 and 26, it has now been pushed back to between April 30 and May 6. Another customer who ordered a Core i7 15-inch MacBook Pro with antiglare and 8GB of RAM saw their shipment delayed to May 3.

Standard configurations of all the new MacBook Pro models, without the antiglare screen or other custom options, are still listed on Apple's online store as shipping within 24 hours. Any custom 15-inch MacBook Pro appears to have a wait time of 5-7 days, while adding the antiglare option to the 17-inch model results in a wait of 1-3 days for shipping.

The 15-inch MacBook Pro now has three display options, with the standard model carrying a 1440x900 pixel LED-backlit glossy screen. That can be upgraded to a 1680x1050 resolution for another $100, and the antiglare option at a higher resolution will cost customers an additional $150.

The antiglare display for the 17-inch MacBook Pro costs an extra $50. Both it and the glossy display are 1920x1200 pixel LED-backlit LCD screens.

Apple's new MacBook Pros equipped with Intel Core i7 and Core i5 processors were released earlier this month. They feature new, proprietary automated graphics switching technology that maximizes battery life.

Neither the antiglare display nor the Core i5 and Core i7 processors are available on the low-end 13-inch MacBook Pro. That model features Nvidia's 320M GPU, an integrated graphics chipset made especially for Apple. It does not utilize the graphics switching featured on the high-end notebooks.

Initial demand for the machines was said to be strong, particularly with the low-end 13-inch model, which one analyst noted sold out in some locations on the first day of availability.

Pricing and availability for Apple's new professional line of notebooks can be found in AppleInsider's Mac Pricing Guide, included below:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    Weird. I did not order the first day, selected a 17" with antiglare, and my laptop is on the truck for delivery today. It actually shipped MUCH earlier than their estimates (April 26-30 for delivery).
  • Reply 2 of 83
    Tegeril,

It's the high-res antiglare 15" that's being delayed; not the 17". That's b/c all of the 17" have the same resolution LCD, while the 15" is 1440x900 default with the 1680x1050 upgrade option. I originally ordered the high-res antiglare 15" online. When it hadn't shipped in a few days, I went to great lengths to find an Apple store with some models in stock. Luckily, the model I wanted (the highest end 15" with high-res antiglare screen and no other customizations) was in stock at *1* of the many Apple stores in the the MD/VA area. I picked it up last Thurs. and have been happy with it ever since. I would be dying if the MBP I ordered on the day of release still hadn't arrived yet (none-the-less shipped)!.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    Ordered the morning when it was announced and was delivered Wed. Apr 21. That's a high-res 15" i7 with 8GB. Strangely enough, a high-res 15" i5 with 4GB that was on the same order came a day later.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    I ordered when the new models were released. Just got the "sucks to be you" email from Apple this morning. Copied from Apple's website:

MBP 15.4/2.66/CTO

Z0J6

\t \t

2.66GHz Intel Core i7

8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x4GB

512GB Solid State Drive

SuperDrive 8X DL

MBP 15" HR Glossy WS Display

No iWork preinstalled

No Final Cut Express preinstd

No Aperture Preinstalled

No Logic Express Preinstalled

No FileMaker Preinstalled

No MSO preinstalled

No DVI Adapter

Mini DisplayPort - VGA Adapter

Keyboard/Users Guide

Country Kit

\t\t\t\t\t\t

Ships: 5 - 7 business days \t\t\t\t\t\t

Delivers: May 3 - May 7
  • Reply 5 of 83
    Another data point: I'm typing this on my 15" high-res antiglare. I ordered it about half an hour after the Apple store came back up, and it arrived on Monday. So at least some of them have shipped.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Actually, I hope the 'unexpected delay' is another way of saying millions (and MILLIONS) of new MBPs were ordered and Apple can't keep up with demand and this quarter they'll be posting even more ridiculous blow-out numbers
  • Reply 7 of 83
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tegeril View Post

Weird. I did not order the first day, selected a 17" with antiglare, and my laptop is on the truck for delivery today. It actually shipped MUCH earlier than their estimates (April 26-30 for delivery).

Consider yourself lucky. I ordered a 15" hires antiglare the day they were released and got a shipment estimate for April 22.-23. According to the TNT tracking number, it actually did leave the factory on April 17th and then got stuck at Pudong Int'l Airport on the 19th. No word ever since then. I understand they couldn't fly because of Eyjafjallajökull (the bloody volcano), but according to the TNT newsletter, they're back to normal schedule for several days now. I'd expect the shipment to at least move on now...

Somehow Murphy really likes me, the last MBP I ordered took 3 weeks to arrive, instead of the estimated 7 days. Guess I can only wait and hope that it will eventually arrive before the next generation is out.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Just to reiterate the point other commenters are making, the delay is with the HIGH-RESOLUTION displays, not with anti-glare, but since the anti-glare only comes in high-res it also affects them.

Also, if you opt for the base model 15" MBP it's ONLY 1-3 days for anti-glare while it's 5-7 days for the high-res glossy.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    Ordered 15" lowest config with anti-glare online on Saturday night 4/17 and it was delivered yesterday.

It is FAST!
  • Reply 10 of 83
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Ordered a 15" i7 high res glossy model on the day that they were announced. Apparently I should get it by 5th May.

Stupid ash could.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    Well I guess I was lucky. I ordered the 15" i7 HR anti-glare with 8GB ram the day it was released, and it arrived 20 April 2010.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nomad421 View Post

Tegeril,

It's the high-res antiglare 15" that's being delayed; not the 17". That's b/c all of the 17" have the same resolution LCD, while the 15" is 1440x900 default with the 1680x1050 upgrade option. I originally ordered the high-res antiglare 15" online. When it hadn't shipped in a few days, I went to great lengths to find an Apple store with some models in stock. Luckily, the model I wanted (the highest end 15" with high-res antiglare screen and no other customizations) was in stock at *1* of the many Apple stores in the the MD/VA area. I picked it up last Thurs. and have been happy with it ever since. I would be dying if the MBP I ordered on the day of release still hadn't arrived yet (none-the-less shipped)!.

Ooo, my mistake, reading comprehension fail

Also for the shipping curious, my laptop did this:

Shanghai -> Alaska -> New Jersey -> Massachusetts.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    hambohambo Posts: 4member
    I ordered my Mac book pro on the first day it is ful spec here are the details:

2.66GHz Intel Core i7

8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x4GB

500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200

SuperDrive 8X DL

MBP 15"HR Antiglare WS Display[/COLOR]

It still has not arrived ans it has a estimated delivery date for the 5th may an absolute joke.

Not only have i had to wait an extremely long time for these laptops to be released i now have to suffer further delays. And with this Volcanic ash that has hit the UK god knows when i will actually get it. they sent me this

Dear ....

We are happy to inform you that your order is in transit however we are experiencing some

unexpected delays in delivering your order.

This is due to ongoing air traffic disruptions across Europe.

Your business is very important to us and we regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Visit online Order Statusto view the most up-to-date status of your order.

Kind regards,

Apple Online Store Support

This laptop is doomed!!!
  • Reply 14 of 83
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I ordered a 2.4GHz 15" with hi-res Anti-Glare this past Friday, and it arrived a day early (Wednesday) this week. The only other option was a 500GB 7200rpm drive.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    Is the edge around the display nicer and more refined on these anti-glare MBPs than on the previous ones?
  • Reply 16 of 83
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    I ordered a MBP 17', i7 with 8GBs RAM, 500GB HD @ 7200RPM, and HR Antiglare screen through the Small Business unit at my local Apple store on Friday, April 16.

The order did not even show up in the system until Tuesday, April 20.

I called 800 My Apple and asked the usual WTF? type of questions.

This morning I just got the email that my new MBP shipped from Shanghai and will arrive on Wednesday, April 28.

This waiting for Godot stuff is really hard!

I think it is fairly safe to say that they had much lower expectations for this release and are getting slammed with orders at this point.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is the edge around the display nicer and more refined on these anti-glare MBPs than on the previous ones?

Mine (17" anti-glare with SSD) has not arrived yet, but the one I saw at my reseller looked absolutely identical to the previous generation (same bezel).
  • Reply 18 of 83
    I ordered the 2.66 i7 with 8gb ram, 500gb @ 7200 rpms, and the Hi-Res antiglare screen last Friday (3 days after release) and I was given a quote time of 5-7 business days to ship. It hasn't shipped yet, I just hit the 5 day window as of today. I haven't received any sort of delay email from Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Mine (17" anti-glare with SSD) has not arrived yet, but the one I saw at my reseller looked absolutely identical to the previous generation (same bezel).

Okay, I must have been comparing it to the pre-glass displays (still used in the MBA) that don't have a black rubber ring between the top case and metal bezel.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    I custom ordered a 17" MacBook Pro with i7 processor and the anti-glare option. I placed the order minutes after the Apple store was open following the availability of the new models. The MacBook Pro arrived just under a week from placing the order (delivery of April 19th from a delivery of April 13th). This Mac is AWESOME. This a replacement for an ancient (but still very useful) PowerBook G4 1.3GHz 17". A definite upgrade!!!