Apple iPhone takes 72% of Japanese smartphone market

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yet his net profit is 0%. I want to thank him for being right. I have made so much I should really buy him an iPad seeing he can't get in on any of this money the rest of us are making.

Pay up, Skater. You bet me $1000 that the stock would hit $70 before it would $270. And seeing that you're making so much money, it wouldn't hurt to throw in an iMac, too.

• Reply 42 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roy61 View Post

That headline is somewhat misleading. To put in perspective, 72% of the smartphone market is only around 4.9% of the total handset market in Japan which is still pretty good for any one handset but I wouldn't go as far as saying Apple has conquered Japan.

http://asiajin.com/blog/2010/04/23/i...hare-in-japan/

Just curious, which entry in this thread stated that "Apple has conquered Japan"? Can't.....seem...to....find....one...Nope. I think pretty much everyone in this thread recognizes (at least based on a multitude of previous threads) that the smartphone segment is a smaller portion of the overall handset market. But it is arguably the most PROFITABLE part of the handset market. So I'm having trouble seeing where the headline is misleading - it seems to be a fairly straight-forward capture of the article.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think he's overstepping himself. Sure it's possible, but I don't think it's possible in a one year time frame. I think $400 or $500 is as that is essentially a a doubling as I do agree that the iPad is a runaway success and the first computing device that is attractive to older people who have never cared for computers before. I think the iPad will be Apple most profitable leg after the iPhone within 2 years.

I'd like a split, wouldn't mind a buyback, and don't want dividends.

Yes, I'd like a split too... preferably a 4 for 1-- would put it at less than $69.99

Seriously, a split like that would attract a lot of small investors. That, plus the normal bump from a split would, likely, push the stock quickly to $100+ (your $400-$500 before split).

Hmm... I wonder if Apple could offer a share of APPL with each iPad?

• Reply 44 of 101
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roy61 View Post

That headline is somewhat misleading. To put in perspective, 72% of the smartphone market is only around 4.9% of the total handset market in Japan which is still pretty good for any one handset but I wouldn't go as far as saying Apple has conquered Japan.

http://asiajin.com/blog/2010/04/23/i...hare-in-japan/

Unless we know what the original story meant by "smartphone", the statistic is meaningless.

Thanks for putting things into perspective.
  • Reply 45 of 101
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

But $1,000 per share is just crazy. The real problem is perceptions. Apple stock has ALWAYS been hyper-sensitive to perceptions. As soon as there's a bad quarter or bad news of any time, the stock plummets. It's irrational, but that's the way the analysts treat the stock. They carry it because they feel that they have to when it's going up by 50-60% per year, but they don't like it and never have. First sign of bad news and the lemmings flee.

Can't bear to watch the video, but $1,000 per share in 3 years is easily possible. Amazon would be the stock to compare it to to justify the valuation; they trade at a P/E of 70 with similar growth numbers.

I'm pretty confident that we will see $370 within 12 months, as I think the iPad numbers are grossly conservative. Time will tell...

As for the analysts and banks, they have become much bigger fans than they were five years ago. They seem to actually have some faith in Apple now, and that should continue for another 5 years barring a huge disappointment or SJ's departure.
  • Reply 46 of 101
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple Japan leaves a lot to be desired.

Any specifics? Product line, support, inventory, sales team, FileMaker?

I would think the product line is reasonably well suited for Japan (although the 17" MBP and MacPro would be non-starters).
  • Reply 47 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Can't bear to watch the video, but $1,000 per share in 3 years is easily possible. Amazon would be the stock to compare it to to justify the valuation; they trade at a P/E of 70 with similar growth numbers.

I'm pretty confident that we will see $370 within 12 months, as I think the iPad numbers are grossly conservative. Time will tell...

As for the analysts and banks, they have become much bigger fans than they were five years ago. They seem to actually have some faith in Apple now, and that should continue for another 5 years barring a huge disappointment or SJ's departure.

I enjoyed the video... turned the sound off and watched the lovely lady.

$370 is certainly doable within 12 months.

I hope Steve shares more and more of the spotlight with others like Tim Cook as it will help prepare the investment community for Steve's eventual departure.

• Reply 48 of 101
    I have to say that it is refreshing to see extreme taking such a positive and affirming note in his commentary today vis a vis the joys of owning Apple stock. The little side comment about Quadra's lack of stock ownership, simply demonstrates his heartfelt sympathy for that lack, however comfortable Quadra may be in his lack of largesse. Truly a break-though moment here in the AI fora. In fact I'm feeling a bit verklempt, please, type amongst yourselves, topic: how Gizmodo is neither a Giz nor a Modo - discuss. *choke* *wipes tiny tear away*
  • Reply 49 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I suspect he is closer to the truth than many will credit him with. Perhaps the $1000 is a few years out but it's coming. Look at the speed Apple is closing in on M$s market cap. They have gone from half to within striking distance in a very short time. I haven't done the graph but they should pass M$ within a year or two I'd guess. Any math people here that could graph this closing gap to see the intersection point date on current projections?

That guy is off his rocker, and I consider myself a big Apple fan.
  • Reply 50 of 101
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Does anyone has numbers about the size of the so-called smartphone market compared to the overall mobile phone market?

EDIT: Someone already posted it while I was writing. As expected, AppleInsider added some spin to the story.

EDIT 2:

Quote:

The definition of “smartphone” is vague even among Japanese. Japanese Wikipedia [J] says that smartphone means that the phone has any of these operating system; “Symbian OS, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone 7, iPhone OS, Android, BlackBerry OS, Palm OS and Palm WebOS”. That is, all non-Japanese OS.

Emphasis mine. LOL.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Pay up, Skater. You bet me $1000 that the stock would hit $70 before it would $270. And seeing that you're making so much money, it wouldn't hurt to throw in an iMac, too.

You're under the assumption that extremskater actually bought AAPL. Monopoly money is not legal tender. I guess he thinks owning vaporstocks is the same as the real thing.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    Reading recent rumors about Apple's interest in NFC (scroll near bottom):

http://www.patentlyapple.com/

I suspect that Apple may have included some of these capabilities in the next iPhone.

Apparently NFC is a superset of RFID-- which could mean that the iPhone could be used as an electronic replacement for cash when boarding trains, dining, buying things, etc.

I have read that Japan is quite advanced in its use of "electronic cash"... does anyone know if RFID is compatible with Japanese systems?

When I leave the house, I take my wallet, my keys and my iPhone... someday soon, I hope that it's only the iPhone.

• Reply 53 of 101
    The Japanese market is a tough one to crack for any western electronics company. That being said there are exceptions to the rule. As other users have pointed out, Japan's telecommunications markets are so volatile that any accurate predictions are near-impossible about the short, medium or long-term performance of a product.

It's heartening to see Apple's sales increasing there lately, though. ^_^
  • Reply 54 of 101
    Quote:

I have made so much I should really buy him an iPad seeing he can't get in ......

Stop bragging, shut up, and do it.

So that you can spare us this juvenile nonsense.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Any specifics? Product line, support, inventory, sales team, FileMaker?

I would think the product line is reasonably well suited for Japan (although the 17" MBP and MacPro would be non-starters).

Keep in mind we have two Apples operating in Japan: Apple US operates the walk-in stores, Apple Japan does everything else (local resellers, online store, support).

The Japan Call Center is horrible; even a reseller I spoke to yesterday said he has a hard time recommending Apple products because of the troubles he and his customers have had with the Call Center. Staff at an Apple Store (walk-in), which is run by Apple US, said that they had received many complaints about the Japan Call Center. The call center is very reluctant to pick up any machines and once even blamed a keyboard problem I had on me: they said I probably typed too hard, and refused to check my computer... until the discussion boards were filled with similar cases.

Personally, I have gone in to detail in other threads about some things. One story I have not yet mentioned (at least anytime recently) is I had a situation whereby I called the Call Center and ultimately they said that they would have Customer Relations call me back. This came from the manager of the call center. I'm still waiting for the call and it has been two years.

Sales: spotty service. Two years ago, my local shop was suddenly marked as excellent by AJ and given a fabulous in-store display complete with video, etc. Sales reps came down twice a month. The reps' visits slowly decreased in number, then ended, with no word from AJ. The display was suddenly withdrawn by Apple last year without a visit from a rep and again no explanation to the shop. This month, the shop was suddenly told they could no longer sell Apple products (this was communicated by phone to a floor salesman, not the manager; in the same call, AJ cancelled an order for a Mac that had been placed by the shop and AJ had even sent out a shipping date for). Some of the younger sales reps had poor manners: chewing gum during presentations, ruffled appearance (necktie with the tie very loose, shirt not buttoned... they could have gone for the t-shirts). A couple of shops in town have been fairly unhappy with the sales staff for some time; the recent moves have managed to really prove the last straw for at least one shop; even if AJ decides in the future to again sell through electronics stores, this shop will more than likely say no.

There are lots of things I could go into, but it's late (1:20am) so I gotta hit the sack. I love Apple's products. I just think AJ has a spotty record of quality and service. It is hard to buy from them with confidence. If they cleaned up their act a bit, sales would increase and buyers would stay (I heard yesterday one shop in town sells lots of PCs to Mac owners switching back to PC). Japan also is very Windoze-friendly. The iPhone and iPad are outside the realm of PC/Mac, so they should be able to do well here.

On the other hand, my experiences at the Apple Stores (walk-in) have been excellent. It is a different world from dealing with Apple Japan.
  • Reply 56 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes, I'd like a split too... preferably a 4 for 1-- would put it at less than $69.99

Seriously, a split like that would attract a lot of small investors. That, plus the normal bump from a split would, likely, push the stock quickly to $100+ (your $400-$500 before split).

Hmm... I wonder if Apple could offer a share of APPL with each iPad?

Groan. We've been through this 'split' thing dozens of times. It amounts to a hill of beans. It doesn't hurt, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with valuation. A 4-1 split is no more, no less than your giving me a $20 bill, and my giving you four $5 bills in return.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Who remembers the Chinese guy and the internet site that made a big splash about Japanese not liking the iPhone, . . .

N.B. The misleading article wirtten by the Chinese guy stirred a controversy because . . .

That "Chinese guy"? You mean, Brian X. Chen?

And that "internet site"? You mean, Wired?

I guess that makes me that "Welsh guy" and Apple insider Forums that "bulletin board!"
  • Reply 58 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Groan. We've been through this 'split' thing dozens of times. It amounts to a hill of beans. It doesn't hurt, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with valuation. A 4-1 split is no more, no less than your giving me a $20 bill, and my giving you four $5 bills in return.

It's a psychological move, but it does have a real long term effect as people do think the stock is easier to obtain. I know people that won't buy GOOG because it's priced too high despite them asking my opinion back when GOOG went public that it will grow very quickly. It's all relative, but it has a real effect on purchase habits.

The bottom line is if stock splits and reverse stock splits had no effect then they wouldn't exist in the first place.
  • Reply 59 of 101
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's a psychological move, but it does have a real long term effect as people do think the stock is easier to obtain. I know people that won't buy GOOG because it's priced too high despite them asking my opinion back when GOOG went public that it will grow very quickly. It's all relative, but it has a real effect on purchase habits.

The bottom line is if stock splits and reverse stock splits had no effect then they wouldn't exist in the first place.

The problem with splitting is that it makes options more affordable allowing an already volatile stock to be manipulated even more. On the other hand, if options were more affordable perhaps I would buy some to hedge and make my Apple stock less volatile for myself!

Anyway, I think this is one of the reason SJ is against splits, he's tired of the stock getting manipulated by speculators.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Yet his net profit is 0%.

So?

LOL I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but it's probably ridiculous.

Whether or not I have an investment in Apple has nothing to do with discussing same. I don't do it for financial gain.