Apple hires new games editor for the iPhone App Store from IGN

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has hired Matt Casamassina of IGN to serve as the global editorial games manger for its iTunes App Store.

Casamassina got started in covering gaming when he launched N64.com, a site that was later bought by IGN. After 13 years of reviewing games and covering the industry, he's known to many readers in the gaming industry as a prime source for information about Nintendo.

In his new position at Apple, Casamassina wrote in a blog posting, "I will be leading the charge for games on the App Store, so whether you browse through iTunes, iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, the games content you see will be handpicked and organized by me and my team. I couldn?t be happier."

Apple has been promoting App Store games particularly on the iPod touch, which features game play in its ads. Games make up a large percentage of the apps available for the iPhone OS, and iTunes' model of a wide variety of low priced game titles has attracted enthusiastic development and strong sales volumes to users.

The success of the iPod touch and iPhone as handheld gaming devices has shocked Sony and Nintendo, which are both struggling to reinvent their handheld gaming platforms to make them more attractive to a young demographic that is increasingly more ubiquitously networked and socially connected than ever.

The huge selection of games in iTunes poses a challenge for small developers looking to stand out, but many developers have discovered that the meritocracy that Apple has cultivated has allowed great work from even independent individuals working alone to become popular and profitable titles.

The new games editor position will be tasked with helping users discover new and interesting content. Casamassina will start work in the new role in early May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Very interesting. I always thought Matt was the only guy at IGN who could really write. What exactly is he going to be doing at Apple? Will he continue his reviews or is this just a game shuffling post? I bet he's thrilled either way. Good for him.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    So this is a step to develop Game Center..!
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Apple has hired Matt Casamassina of IGN to serve as the global editorial games manger for its iTunes App Store.

In other news, a new rumor strongly suggests that Apple will debut an iPhone Mini, which pundits have quickly dubbed the "Baby Jesus Phone".
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

The success of the iPod touch and iPhone as handheld gaming devices has shocked Sony and Nintendo, which are both struggling to reinvent their handheld gaming platforms to make them more attractive to a young demographic that is increasingly more ubiquitously networked and socially connected than ever.

Overstatement of the year. (Nintendo's record sales suggest otherwise, in fact).

Anyway, as one who used to work with Matt, he's a great guy and I'm excited for his new position.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    away in a manger,

no spellcheck did work,

brought out spelling Nazis,

wherever they lurk.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Jeez. Obviously a guy can't crack a joke without somone writing a lame, snarky poem about it.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Interesting. Anyone want to pick up a new magazine that just came out called iPhone Gamer Monthly?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Anything to streamline identification of great games is definitely appreciated. Hopefully he'll also be able to encourage particularly the bigger game studios to produce increasing full featured, full length games for the App Store of comparable depth to those they make for consoles. If they are concerned about the low pricing structure in the App Store, they should offer the quality to justify charging higher prices, and hopefully Matt Casamassina will be able to assure that worthwhile higher priced games aren't swamped by lower priced games purely based on pricing.

Now if only Apple could be motivated to hire an evangelist for games on the Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I wouldn't mind seeing a section called "New" in the App Store that actually contains "New" games and apps.

Since Day 1 of the iPad I've seen some of the same stuff in "New and Noteworthy". I'd like a way to see stuff that's recently been added to the store. I don't mean filtered/edited/sponsored; I mean NEW so that I can find something interesting.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zapf Brannigan View Post

Jeez. Obviously a guy can't crack a joke without someone writing a lame, snarky poem about it.

Gee Zapf, a bit sensitive are we?

I got a good laugh from the Baby Jesus Phone! (BTW, your spelling was perfectly FINE!)

I think the poem (pretty funny, too!) was his/her attempt to play off your joke and start some banter.

ANYway, whatever Apple can do to push games for the App Store (or Macs... PLEASE!) can only bring good things to Apple. Some money, too.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I am familiar with his work at IGN. I was really looking forward to his review of Super Mario Galaxy 2 due next month. I think Apple chose wisely. He has a deep understanding of the core elements of game theory and knows what makes for a satisfying game and what doesn't. Congratulation Matt!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    wow interesting news.

hope we still get to read/consume content by Matt, not just see a list update every few days - always enjoyed and trusted his write ups on IGN.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

away in a manger,

no spellcheck did work,

brought out spelling Nazis,

wherever they lurk.

Nice one!

Your moniker: is it THAT Hill 60 in Belgium ?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing a section called "New" in the App Store that actually contains "New" games and apps.

Since Day 1 of the iPad I've seen some of the same stuff in "New and Noteworthy". I'd like a way to see stuff that's recently been added to the store. I don't mean filtered/edited/sponsored; I mean NEW so that I can find something interesting.

Agreed. I thought I went through every game that is listed, then I searched for Texas Holdem and more iPad apps came up. It makes no sense. I would like an area that just has everything listed and let me decide what I want.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Qualified for the job, though kind of ironic since he's been publically ho-hum about the Wii and it's lack of sufficient hardcore titles. Taking on an iphone app job isn't going to sooth that craving.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I am familiar with his work at IGN. I was really looking forward to his review of Super Mario Galaxy 2 due next month. I think Apple chose wisely. He has a deep understanding of the core elements of game theory and knows what makes for a satisfying game and what doesn't. Congratulation Matt!

Hopefully they actually listen to any advice he gives.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Wasnt he the one who kept predicting nintendo would do this then nintendo will do that and when he was wrong would disappear for a while?

Why would apple want somebody like that ?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Wow. I've followed Matt since his N64.com days, before it was bought by IGN. Good for him!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Overstatement of the year. (Nintendo's record sales suggest otherwise, in fact).

There is a difference between coasting on your past accomplishments and breaking new ground.

Nintendo is currently coasting. Sony never did really get out of the gate. I think struggling is appropriate. It will be interesting to see what Nintendo's move is long term.