iPad cases thread.

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Add your best iPad case here, you are only allowed mention 2: your winner and your runner up.

I'm looking into this myself. I'm thinking I want something very minimal.

Vaga appear to have some interesting stuff: http://www.vajacases.com/home.html Though I've still yet to conclude what makes a good iPad case. Less is more I'm thinking.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I ordered the Apple case. It seems to be quite versatile. It provides the functions of a stand for any orientation.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    I'm also going to get the Apple case. But since I live in Hong Kong, I can pretty much get any case I want on the street, and cheap cases cost next to nothing. I have at least 10 cases for my Touch, a few of which cost less than US$2.

The first case I bought for the iPad is a standard white silicone stretch-over case, feels kind of thick. It cost me about US$7.50.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Most of the cases I've seen are too elaborate and bulky IMO. It looks like Kensington and others will sell a simple neoprene sleeve for $10-15. I'd probably prefer microfiber (easy to shove in your pocket when not being used) but I'll probably go the sleeve route.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I'm not sure yet which I'd prefer for the iPad, but I know its either:

A) A neoprene slip cover for when not in use,

or

B) A slim rubber skin.

Not sure I want something on the iPad when I'm using it, but I definitely do not want anything anywhere near as bulky and ridiculous as the Apple case and similar alternatives.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I'm liking the one by Apple, but will see what 3rd party cases are out.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Waiting to see what Otterbox comes up with.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Assuming it doesn't add too much in bulk, I can't see why you wouldn't want something at least as flexible as the Apple case. Protection plus a comfortable typing position plus a comfortable table top viewing position? Seems like a no-brainer.

That doesn't mean someone else can't make a nicer/cheaper version of the idea, I just can't see going with a slipcase only.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Assuming it doesn't add too much in bulk, I can't see why you wouldn't want something at least as flexible as the Apple case. Protection plus a comfortable typing position plus a comfortable table top viewing position? Seems like a no-brainer.

That doesn't mean someone else can't make a nicer/cheaper version of the idea, I just can't see going with a slipcase only.

I've always had a problem with cases that add bulk (they always do) and can't be easily removed and stowed when not needed (which is most of the time). I'm going to spend some time with the iPad before deciding what sort of case is necessary or useful, but at the start I will probably spring for some sort of slipcase just to protect it when carried.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    So the apple case is great for primary device use...need a recommendation for a "toting" satchel to move about with it.

Regards,

Big
  • Reply 10 of 47
    I'm confused about the ipad case situation! When I bought my iphone, I started with a big case that surrounded the phone, then I realized that such a case destroys the sleek design elements Apple worked so hard to implement, so I went with the thinnest plastic case and the thin film on the screen. Then I dropped my phone once or twice. Then I noticed there was a small crack down the middle near the dock connector. So I decided to ditch the case altogether! Now I'm happy using my caseless phone and I'm just trying to keep my 3G alive long enough to get the new one when it comes out.

However, what to do about ipad? Unlike the iphone, which you need handy on a moments notice, the use of ipad may not be quite so urgent. More like a laptop. Do you get a "sleeve" that is meant to protect the device during transport, but gives you the ability to use ipad as designed, without any extra bulk or weight when in use? But then what about viewing angles and typing? You need a stand, and possibly a keyboard. That's a lot of stuff to lug around...

Do you get a flip top book jacket thingy, which looks cool in theory, but will make it difficult to dock, heavier to hold, etc..,?

Is there such a thing as a flip top case where the ipad easily detaches for use out of the case?

What about a sleeve that comes with a little folding ipad stand? or a sleeve that can be folded by some combination of straps to form a handy stand?

If any of these designs end up working well, please send me some royalties.

Is there a support group for people obsessing, not over the ipad, but over the CASE?
  • Reply 11 of 47
    I like using the iPad naked (take that as you will), but I wanted to protect it when not in use, and to avoid overly-bulky or complicated solutions. I also wanted to solve the problem right away. So I bought an expensive neoprene netbook case made by Inland. Cost me $15 at Fry's. It's slightly too large for the iPad, but it works.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I ordered the apple case yesterday. It's supposed to arrive in 3 weeks.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I opted for the belkin grip vue (hard, rubbery plastic) case. So far it seems optimal for my needs. No longer do I constanly feel on the verge of dropping the iPad. No longer do I have to worry about putting down the iPad on any surface.

The apple case is nice but not for everyone. It is well suited to carrying out of the house, providing a flip-over screen protector. Nice scratch protection but little drop protection.

Howerver that flippy screen protector also makes it annoying for around the house use. I far prefer the more grippable and decreased hassle of the belkin case. While the apple case doubles as a stand, that functionality isn't something I need.

For me the case is just for grippability and scratch protection when placed on hard, abrasive or dirty surface. As a side benefit, I noticed that it is more comefortable to hold in cold weather. The aluminum really sucks heat away from your hands.

YouTube of unboxing, annoying commentary but at least it shows the case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC2Ctnu3pxk
  • Reply 14 of 47
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pluto198 View Post

Griffin Elan Sleeve. Love it.

Maybe, but fifty bucks?
  • Reply 16 of 47
    I have been looking for a minimalist sleeve to protect the iPad when not in use. I just ordered the Sena sleeve ($50) since I use it for my iPhone and like it. I really like the looks of the Vajacase that Ireland mentioned, but it is $120.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Whatever you do, don't fall for the Sprint case they were advertising with the Overdrive. I don't have a link to the original ads. But this is what they actually ship.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    I bought these two and am happy with them, the first is rubber cover which works rather good after I trimmed the holes for the charger and volume. The second is a netbook case that was on sale for $6 at the time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Whatever you do, don't fall for the Sprint case they were advertising with the Overdrive. I don't have a link to the original ads. But this is what they actually ship.

And don't fall for the Sprint "4G" bullshit. 3G in most countries is faster (7.2M) than Sprint's Overdrive device (3-6M). The real 4G spec shows speeds can go up to 50M. I think this kind of marketing lie should be illegal.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Here's another option:

http://www.ipadsock.net/