Apple's iPad camera adapter supports USB audio, keyboards

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

No, the RAW file is not imported, only a lower resolution JPEG preview image, which most cameras create. You will not be able to store your RAW images on the iPad and erase the SD card for re-use.

Can you point us to a site that backs this up? According to Apple the "iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.". Using the word "support " in reference to the iPad for RAW would be false advertising if it did not, in fact, support RAW, but only JPEG. And the fact that it asks you to delete the images afterwards makes for a very bad experience if uses think the iPad now stores the original photos.
  • Reply 62 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't think this will work, at least not without the camera kit, or I suppose the dock perhaps. I tried connecting my digital camera to the iPad with a female-to-female adaptor and it did not work. The iPad did not recognize that a camera was connected and the camera did not recognize that it was connected to anything. Something is going on inside Apple's camera adaptor, though what it is, I have no idea.

The only thing I can think of is the USB cable that comes with iPad is limited in functionality, but since it's already used for power and for syncing everything should be working already. These FAQ, as well as Apple's site, llead me to believe it should be possible.
  • Reply 63 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ReverendIvanStang View Post

I'm looking at my iPad dock and that connector is pretty deep - not sure if it could be made magsafe given the length of the plug.

I'm just happy to see features that I may not want (a camera) offered to people who "have to have it".

I don't want a nose-hair cam "now". But if there's a need in the future it'll be nice to have - vs "having" to have.

Did anyone think of all the places that restrict cameras? Military? Hospitals? High security areas? I think that's the real reason it was left off.

Exactly. We can't bring a cell phone into our local court house if it has a camera. The iPad would be perfect for bed side clinical systems in hospitals. add a camera and it becomes a privacy issue.
  • Reply 64 of 107
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The only thing I can think of is the USB cable that comes with iPad is limited in functionality, but since it's already used for power and for syncing everything should be working already. These FAQ, as well as Apple's site, llead me to believe it should be possible.

What part leads you to that conclusion? All I know, is I tried it and it did not work. I suppose it's possible that Apple disabled one of the connections within the included USB cable to make it impossible to bypass their accessory kit (a dirty trick, if true), but the only way to prove that would be buy a third-party 30-pin to USB cable and see if that worked.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Various makers have come out with audio/mic adapters for iPods and iPhone. I think it is just a matter of time before something comes out for the iPad that will turn it into a portable studio.

One example: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProTrack/

The recording apps for the iPhone are currently OK and some have been used to actually create CDs for sale (some hip hop group wanted a "on the street" sound) as is. With the bigger screen and better CPU o the iPad, somebody should be able to develop an awesome app that, in combo with an audio interface, could really make for an awesome system that would satisfy many a need.

Or is a current portable recorder (eg, Zoom's H4n) were made to connect to the iPad that would be great.

AFAIK, Apple no longer allows anything like that. I saw a bunch of cool stuff for iPhone recording, but AFAIK, none of it is current.

Apple locks down the 30 pin adapters. You need to apply to Apple to get them. And Apple does not (AFAIK) license anyone to make add-on recording equipment currently.

If anybody has better info, I'd love to see examples of current iPhone gear.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    Flip Mino HD cameras won't transfer the MP4 video, which uses H.264 codec, to the iPad which means the AVI video of the Flip Mino [SD] is also a no go. Does any camera work with a direct connection? Why do people doing these reviews always do a halfassed job of testing? Don't make me start my own review site!
  • Reply 67 of 107
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For iPhone OS v3.0 SDK Apple created APIs that allowed 3rd-party HW vendors access to the 30-pin connector. This allows them to make pretty much any HW attachment they can conceive of and allow apps to connect to this HW. This means that a camera attachment can be built for the iPad.

Only if they pass Apple's scrutiny and biases. They only sell the 30 pin connectors to selected companies.

AFAIK, there no longer exist the cool docks one could use for the iPhone to turn it into a multi-track recording studio.

The hardware attachments are locked down by Apple. The lack of cool 30 pin attachments is a huge disappointment.

The universe is currently restricted to mundane stuff like speaker docks and the like.
  • Reply 68 of 107
    Can I plug in a mouse?

That way I can play flash games...
  • Reply 69 of 107
    .... how about that wifi SD card? does it work on the iPad?
  • Reply 70 of 107
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    It's still not clear to me how exactly the iPad handles RAW images, particularly those that don't have a fullsize imbedded jpg inside (Nikon's .NEF format, for example). Does the iPad download the RAW image and display it fullscreen on the iPad, or does it create a jpg version and leave the RAW file on the SD card? I'm confused because I tried sending a .NEF RAW file to my iPad, and all it could display was a tiny jagged thumbnail in the middle of it's screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

No, the RAW file is not imported, only a lower resolution JPEG preview image, which most cameras create. You will not be able to store your RAW images on the iPad and erase the SD card for re-use.

What does the iPad do when the camera hasn't created a fullscreen jpg preview? Does it create it's own jpg, or stick you with the postage-stamp sized thumbnail?
  • Reply 71 of 107
    So what about a GPS? I use my Garmin on the go and would love it if I could sync my portable Garmin 60csx. I understand there is a GPS navigation available on the ipad, but I use this gps for offroad (using a topographical map on the Garmin) purposes on a quad. Too dusty and impractical to drag the ipad out with me.
  • Reply 72 of 107
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

My daughter saw my post and said I was out of date - happens to the best of us I guess.

Peace. Keep on truckin!

P.S. Would it have been to oldster to say "what a rush man"?

Rad..
  • Reply 73 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Groovy!

I have so been trying to work that word back into the mainstream, and failing miserably.
  • Reply 74 of 107
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ReverendIvanStang View Post

I'm looking at my iPad dock and that connector is pretty deep - not sure if it could be made magsafe given the length of the plug.

I'm just happy to see features that I may not want (a camera) offered to people who "have to have it".

I don't want a nose-hair cam "now". But if there's a need in the future it'll be nice to have - vs "having" to have.

Did anyone think of all the places that restrict cameras? Military? Hospitals? High security areas? I think that's the real reason it was left off.

Don't roughly 99.9% of cell phones and notebooks/tablets/netbooks have a camera or webcam? It's kind of hard to avoid.
  • Reply 75 of 107
    Bitchin'!
  • Reply 76 of 107
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

It's still not clear to me how exactly the iPad handles RAW images, particularly those that don't have a fullsize imbedded jpg inside (Nikon's .NEF format, for example). Does the iPad download the RAW image and display it fullscreen on the iPad, or does it create a jpg version and leave the RAW file on the SD card? I'm confused because I tried sending a .NEF RAW file to my iPad, and all it could display was a tiny jagged thumbnail in the middle of it's screen.

What does the iPad do when the camera hasn't created a fullscreen jpg preview? Does it create it's own jpg, or stick you with the postage-stamp sized thumbnail?

Im still not clear on this either. I also don't know what they meant by "full" 2048x1536 in the article. Full? Full what?

Being able to unload my card would have been half the reason for getting the camera kit. Other half is Flickr while on the road. But I'd end up uploading again if i cant get max resolution onto the iPad. Not good...
  • Reply 77 of 107
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Im still not clear on this either. I also don't know what they meant by "full" 2048x1536 in the article. Full? Full what?

Being able to unload my card would have been half the reason for getting the camera kit. Other half is Flickr while on the road. But I'd end up uploading again if i cant get max resolution onto the iPad. Not good...

Read the original article:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/bac...onnection-kit/

Quote: "Resolution: If you?re worried that you?ll be capped to sending out low-quality photos from your iPad, there?s some mostly good news to share. Rather than chopping JPEG pictures down to 800x600 as is done with iPhone photos, the iPad defaults at e-mailing images out at roughly 3-Megapixel resolution: 2048x1536 for typical 4:3 point-and-shoot images, or 2048x1364 for 3:2 DSLR images. EXIF data is stripped for re-sized images. If you select an image manually using the Copy button and Paste it into an e-mail, you can send the full-resolution version out instead, complete with EXIF data."

--

I.e. if you use the default iPad settings to share/email images your photos will be sent at preview image size: 2048x1536.

Note: the pics will also be stored inside the iPad in their original resolution*, allowing you to use the iPad to backup your images from the card - without loosing resolution (or EXIF-info).

Also, if you want you can use copy/paste to email pictures in original size.

*if I understood the article correctly.
  • Reply 78 of 107
    swnsnswnsn Posts: 1member
    RAWs will be downloaded to the ipad. if the raw format isn't supported then it will still be available to your computer upon sync, just not viewable.
  • Reply 79 of 107
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

There will be a lot of good music making programs released for the iPad. There many great audio interfaces for mobile musicians (typically featuring 1 or 2 mic preamps, line ins, MIDI, and more).

Why are you so desperately defending Apple's decisions to limit its devices usability without expensive adapters? A regular computer without USB would be unthinkable. Since the iPad is regarded as a replacement for a laptop for certain uses, USB would greatly expand its capabilities. You sound silly saying that if they include USB than others would want ethernet. USB is a ubiquitous standard used by every peripheral in the last 10 years. I doubt there would be issues fitting a USB port on an iPad either.

I'm hoping Apple comes out with either a compact version of GarageBand or Logic (Logic Lite anyone?) for ipad and a MIDI adapter. Can you imagine Apple's version of either a control surface, or a sheet music app with built-in syth functions. Would be great.
  • Reply 80 of 107
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

Read the original article:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/bac...onnection-kit/

Quote: "Resolution: If you?re worried that you?ll be capped to sending out low-quality photos from your iPad, there?s some mostly good news to share. Rather than chopping JPEG pictures down to 800x600 as is done with iPhone photos, the iPad defaults at e-mailing images out at roughly 3-Megapixel resolution: 2048x1536 for typical 4:3 point-and-shoot images, or 2048x1364 for 3:2 DSLR images. EXIF data is stripped for re-sized images. If you select an image manually using the Copy button and Paste it into an e-mail, you can send the full-resolution version out instead, complete with EXIF data."

--

I.e. if you use the default iPad settings to share/email images your photos will be sent at preview image size: 2048x1536.

Note: the pics will also be stored inside the iPad in their original resolution*, allowing you to use the iPad to backup your images from the card - without loosing resolution (or EXIF-info).

Also, if you want you can use copy/paste to email pictures in original size.

*if I understood the article correctly.

Thanks Kendoka. More info on actual RAW experience here. (dpreview)