Anecdotal phone call suggests 2010 iphone is named "iphone 4gi"

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I Called AT&T today and asked if I can return my recently purchased 3gs and he said, "sure, you can return it and get the new iphone 4gi later this Summer. Good news.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maximus2515 View Post

I Called AT&T today and asked if I can return my recently purchased 3gs and he said, "sure, you can return it and get the new iphone 4gi later this Summer. Good news.

Their going to actually let you return it? I got my 3gs in Feb knowing that June was the likely date for a new model. Iv'e since decided that i'm best off skipping this hardware refresh and updating my contract in 2011 when the success to the 4th Gen iPhone comes out.

My next iPad will likely be one with built in 4G support.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I have a nice bridge I can sell you. Let me know of you're interested.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

I have a nice bridge I can sell you. Let me know of you're interested.

???????
  • Reply 4 of 12
    To the OP. The ATT reps really have no clue what the next iPhone will be called. Gullible. They are going to tell you whatever they can to keep you in a contract.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

To the OP. The ATT reps really have no clue what the next iPhone will be called. Gullible. They are going to tell you whatever they can to keep you in a contract.

Yeah they don't have a clue.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yeah they don't have a clue.

I've only has it for about three weeks and he did not try to pursuade me to keep the phone. He told me to come and return it. I think they know a little. Anyways, I posted this as an FYI. Thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

I've only has it for about three weeks and he did not try to pursuade me to keep the phone. He told me to come and return it. I think they know a little. Anyways, I posted this as an FYI. Thanks!

While SOMEONE at ATT knows something, the person you talk to on the phone or in the store knows no more about it than Bill Gates does.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Friendly moderator note: I've made some adjustments to the thread title in order to reflect the nature of the source.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    i wouldn't put a ton of faith into what a sales rep at a store or on the phone said.

Besides, 4Gi? That's a worse name than the iPad. Unless the phone is a true 4G phone (as in, LTE) calling it 4G will just create a lot of confusion.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

... I think they know a little. ...

Fairy tales can come true

They can happen to you

When you're young at heart.

Long story short: No way in h e l l. There are reports elsewhere that an Apple employee was dismissed because he briefed Steve Wozniak. That Apple employee that you claim to have spoken to much further down the food chain than Woz. And you are even further down the food chain. Which Apple employee with the sense God gave red brick is willing to sacrifice his paycheck in this economy just to brief a random AT&T employee?

Think.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kernel843 View Post

Besides, 4Gi? That's a worse name than the iPad. Unless the phone is a true 4G phone (as in, LTE) calling it 4G will just create a lot of confusion.

Exactly, the 2G iPhone had edge, 3G and 3GS have 3G. If the 4th gen iPhone has 3G then it should be 3G + letter. The S stands for speed on the 3GS so the letter should define what makes this model unique. The higher resolution screen, better camera, flash, ceramic or possibly faster CPU. I'd say the screen is probably the most important so iPhone 3GHD would be ok.

Of course, the new one looks different and runs OS 4 so 4G would work.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    4gi sounds good to me..could refer to it being more powerful or intelligent...who knows. With the word of the blackout days for ATT, I still think they know. Thanks for all the replies and thread change!