App Store submission offers wireless iTunes sync for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A developer has created an application that allows the iPhone and iPod touch to sync wirelessly with iTunes over Wi-Fi, and plans to submit the software to the App Store later this week.

The software, dubbed "Wi-Fi Sync," requires a separate desktop application on either a Mac OS X or Windows machine that allows the sync to occur over a wireless network. The developer, Greg Hughes, released a video that shows the syncing process with the application, which must first be approved by Apple before it could be released for the App Store.

The first sync includes a pairing process that must only be done once to verify that the iPhone is to be synced with the computer. Once a handset has been paired with a computer by accepting prompts on both devices, iTunes is launched on the computer and begins syncing with the mobile device.

The video shows off the feature with an iPod touch. When the sync is activated, the standard iPhone OS "Sync in Progress" screen, complete with a slide to cancel option, is displayed. When done, iTunes updated to say that the sync was completed and it was OK to disconnect -- just like if the device had been tethered via a USB cable.

Whether Wi-Fi Sync falls within the rules of Apple's iPhone OS developer agreement is unknown, but if the software relies on non-public application programming interfaces, it would likely be rejected. The developer said he believes his application doesn't break any of Apple's rules.

Engadget, which first discovered the video, suggested it would become available on the App Store "in your dreams," but presented the Cydia jailbroken marketplace as a potential alternative. In a comment on his YouTube video, Hughes said he'll consider his options should Apple reject the application.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    I want it!

Hopefully it will be approved...
  • Reply 2 of 39
    This is useful.. But I think it isn't necessary...
  • Reply 3 of 39
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Interesting. Is this a private API call that enables this?
  • Reply 4 of 39
    marikmarik Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post

Well...there are lots of apps currently on the appstore that are well short of being useful...

Likewise not many of them are necessary, either.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Right - Lets try sync a couple of movies or Gb of music. No thanks - the device needs to be charged anyway so this may be just an excursive in creativity. IMHO
  • Reply 6 of 39
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Interesting. Is this a private API call that enables this?

probably not on the iphone side.

the "server" app tricked the iphone into thinking it's connected, the iPhone app's just for connecting it to the "server".
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Would be nice if you could update your podcasts over wifi. Supposedly it can be done, but I can't find out how.

Post if you know about it.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

You don't own an iPad, do you?

While it's no big deal to connect the iPhone to your Mac/PC when you get home in the evening, for charging, back up and syncing. The iPad cannot charge via USB in most cases, so you have the strange situation where you have to plug in to sync, then take it away and plug it into the mains for a charge.

There is no real reason not to offer this as part of iTunes, especially when you have thinga like Home Sharing on your computers anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

You don't own an iPad, do you?

While it's no big deal to connect the iPhone to your Mac/PC when you get home in the evening, for charging, back up and syncing. The iPad cannot charge via USB in most cases, so you have the strange situation where you have to plug in to sync, then take it away and plug it into the mains for a charge.

So I see you don't have an iPad.

The lower powered USB does in fact charge the iPad, just not when the screen is on.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Would be nice if you could update your podcasts over wifi. Supposedly it can be done, but I can't find out how.

Post if you know about it.

That's what I'd like it for. There are a couple of podcasts from the UK that I like to listen to in the morning when I walk the dog, and I'd like it if there was a way to have them available on my iPod Touch when I wake up, rather than me having to go and plug it into the Mac.

I hope Apple either develop their own way of doing this sync wirelessly, or allow this app. Whilst I agree it's not essential, it would be a nice to have.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    ill be keeping my eye on this one in case it shows up for an hour like NetShare. Could be useful for the occasional across the room/house sync.

But for the most part, syncing makes the most sense if it takes place while also charging, so wireless syncing will never be that useful until you can transfer gb's in seconds.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    potentially useful to supplement normal syncing. but as observed, not a replacement
  • Reply 13 of 39
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    With Android and WebOS (and soon Windows Phone 7) offering free cloud-based syncing, it's sad that us iPhone users are forced to use USB cable (unless we pay $100/year for MobileMe or use Exchange Server).

Apple should offer a limited version of Mobile Me for "free" (I say free in quotes since we pay $30/month for iPhone data plan), one that omits email and large storage space.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

With Android and WebOS (and soon Windows Phone 7) offering free cloud-based syncing, it's sad that us iPhone users are forced to use USB cable (unless we pay $100/year for MobileMe or use Exchange Server).

Apple should offer a limited version of Mobile Me for "free" (I say free in quotes since we pay $30/month for iPhone data plan), one that omits email and large storage space.

actually gmail does provide activesync and it's free.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:

You probably said the same about copy/paste , multitasking, and even third party apps (for the original iPhone. Would you rather the developer create yet another fart app instead?
  • Reply 16 of 39
    See i, like many others i believe, would find this very useful. I currently use a dock plugged into the mains to charge my iphone, and i'm sure other people use sound docks such as home speaker systems etc. Therefore i do not need to plug in my iphone into my mac to charge it, only to sync it. So with this app i could sync while it is still being charged in my dock when i am at home, or could just sync it while i'm out without the need to carry a cable with me. Easy.

Yes i see that it wouldn't help with large movies etc, but just for the odd updated few tracks, or for a new podcast etc, this would be very useful. Hope apple either develops this itself, or approves this app!
  • Reply 17 of 39
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I have to admit, I thought the way you could do pretty much everything through the cloud with the Google phone was a real plus point. Hopefully Apple will do something similar.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I hope the software isn't as crudely made as that video. Talk about bad marketing!
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Pretty much guaranteed to be rejected, but there's always hope that it'll spur Apple on to build in that functionality themselves. Let's say...iPhone OS 5.0?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    One of the biggest problem I have here at home is with my wife's dell laptop. When the lid is closed and it's in sleep mode, the usb is not being powered. So at night, her iphone is not being charged. If we could have the iphone plugged in to the wall and wirelessly sync it, then we would not have to worry about the laptop being awake or asleep.

Luckily, my macbook charges my iphone while asleep.

Yes, I know the answer is to get her a macbook. Easier said than done.