Does your machine run hot?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Since a few days Safari (4.0.5) runs my early 2009 MBP very hot (80º to 90º C) with the cooling fan in overdrive when generally surfing the web or playing Youtube videos.

When I do exactly the same stuff in Firefox or Chrome the MBP's temperature immediately drops over 30º C!

I strongly suspect Flash to cause it. But Flash is pretty much ubiquitous now, and virtually unavoidable IRL.

Seems to me Flash and Safari is a really bad combination these days.

Anybody else noticed something similar?

Are Adobe and Apple now duking it out on our machines...? Arrogantly oblivious of the collateral damage they cause?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    It's Flash. Get ClickToFlash, not only will your MBP run cooler but your Safari crashes will also stop. Besides you will now be able pick what Flash you want to view and leave the Flashy crap in the dustbin where it belongs.

PS: It's not new. That's why Apple separated Safari plugin processes from Safari in Safari 4, so that when Flash crashes it does not take Safari down with it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Apple separated Safari plugin processes from Safari in Safari 4, so that when Flash crashes it does not take Safari down with it.

Well Apple did a very sloppy job then, because it doesn't work. Safari (4.0.5) still crashes over Flash. At least once a day.