Oprah gushes over 'amazing' new Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

She actually bought a new car for each of 276 people in her audience in 2004.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/5989964/

She will probably buy 3G x 64GB iPads for everyone this year.

Time will tell.

I think that's a pretty likely scenario.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Yeah but those people were incensed that that "FREE" car wasn't exactly free as they had to fork over $1000.00+ bucks to pay for taxes!

But if you sold the car, you'd more than cover the cost of the taxes.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Oh no! Here comes the stampede of soccer moms and suburban poser housewives into all Apple stores across the nation! Get out of the way!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattnation View Post

Or get IN the way.

Oh yeah.

Hello Ms. Cougar.

How you doing?
  • Reply 64 of 92
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

McCain!!! hey... is that you?

nice
  • Reply 65 of 92
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Yeah but those people were incensed that that "FREE" car wasn't exactly free as they had to fork over $1000.00+ bucks to pay for taxes!

They could just have refused it. Or, give it to me.

If you win the lottery, or get a gift large enough, you are also expected to pay taxes.

It is just like those people who expected a largesse from the Federal government whenever there is a disaster. then complain about being taxed, the government meddling with their lives, blah, blahh, blahhh.

CGC
  • Reply 66 of 92
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

...oprah=sales. Period.

ka-CHING!!!
  • Reply 67 of 92
    This makes total sense. The people who watch oprah are the perfect demographic for apple products, though they probably can't afford anything with an apple logo.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'm still surprised about how people are fixating on eBooks. Sometime ago, someone must have planted that seed and it has blossomed into a full-fledged meme. Apparently people are buying the eBook hype. It is almost like they've never heard of... wait for it... the internet.

Here's my prediction. eBooks will still not be popular yet the web and apps will continue to be wildly popular.

But yeah.... oooo.... ahhhh.... turning eBook pages looks cool.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

I don't dispute for a second that she's done a great deal of good. And with the popularity of her show she has the ability to do much good. Unfortunately she's often MISused her influence, too

I do not follow Oprah that much. One person here injected politics by criticizing Oprah for supporting Obama. I am sure possibly have the same reaction if she is an avid supporter of Sarah Palin. Personally,

I detest her politics, but if she happens to be elected President, I would accept the verdict of the people, much as I accepted that George Bush and Ronald Reagan. I would continue to disagree with their politics but I will not go out of my way to cause them physical harm (just like those who committed murder because they disgree vehemently against abortion, or whatever they believe in). To be honest, I like many qualities of Reagan as a person, even if I disagree with his politics.

The same is true with Goerge Bush. he li tt was a class act of him to fade to the background, once the new President was elected. And when called upon by the President, he tried to help in the way he can.

The bottom line is that if we are not very careful, our own point of view affects how we judge the action of others.

As far as Oprah is concerned, she will always be limited by her upbringing, like all of us are in one form or another -- experiences, surrounding, education, socio-economic status grwoing up, etc. We have to take that into consideration whenever we listen to her crusades. With this in mind, I would not likely just follow her latest diet program.

What little I know about Oprah though, she is not like those evangelists who preach against sin and sanctity of marriage, then it turned out they are the ones who cohabitate, some turned out to be pedophiles, there are some people (politicians, priests, etc.) who were so vehement about gays, then they turn out to be attracted to males themselves, name your poison or pet peeves.

We are not perfect ourselves, so that we should focus more on how we can improve our own self, before we become too harsh on others.

If we have common grounds, then let us find the ways to collaborate. Where we differ, let us agree to disagree in a more civil manner.

Let us have the humility that no matter how much faith we have on the foundations of our ethics and moral code, let us always entertain the possibility that we could be wrong -- because we may not know the whole story.

We are prisoners of our space and time.

CGC

N.B. I realize that politics and and perspectives have been injected here. However, they are used more as examples. I dismay sometimes how we completely forget the essence of civil discourse.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Debaser1000 View Post

I always find it is the best course of action not to speak on things about which I have little knowledge. The IRS considers gifts such as those provided by Oprah as taxable income in the amount the item costs. Say the car costs $20,000. Imagine two people each with $100,000 in income, both identical in every way. One goes out and buys the car for $20,000, the other receives it as a gift. Now the one who bought it has $80,000 and a $20,000 car. The other has $100,000 and a $20,000 car. The IRS's logic is such that Pontiac, in a roundabout way, gave $20,000 to the audience member, who then used the $20,000 to buy a car. Receiving that money was a taxable event, even though the middle step of receiving, then spending, the money was skipped.

When it says that Pontiac paid the taxes on the cars, the people were still subject to the same tax. If the tax were $1000, then Pontiac gave them $1000 on top of the car, and the audience member received $21,000 in taxable income. This would take the tax due up to $1050. Getting upset about paying $1000 tax on the $20,000 received is the same as getting upset about paying the $50 tax on the $1000 received, it's just a measure of scale. The idiots might say, "Thank you Pontiac! Now I only owe $50 tax on the car!" But in reality, they could have accepted Pontiac's $1000, sold the car on the open market for fair value and now had $21,000 cash, on which they would owe $1000 tax, leaving $21,000 cash; they then pay the $1050 tax and have $19,950 cash. Or they could pick the car and the money from Pontiac, which would mean they have a car, $1000, and a $1050 payment to the IRS, leaving a car and a $50 tax payment out-of-pocket.

You're correct, in principle, but the numbers are way off. In most state, sales taxes are 3-9%, so you're going to have $1 K in sales taxes. Income tax must be paid by the recipient - and the actual rate depends on your particular situation. If you're earning nothing, you'll probably not end up paying any tax. If you're earning $100 K per year, your incremental taxes would be more like $4,000 to $6,000 (including both income tax and social security taxes).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I'm still surprised about how people are fixating on eBooks. Sometime ago, someone must have planted that seed and it has blossomed into a full-fledged meme. Apparently people are buying the eBook hype. It is almost like they've never heard of... wait for it... the internet.

Here's my prediction. eBooks will still not be popular yet the web and apps will continue to be wildly popular.

But yeah.... oooo.... ahhhh.... turning eBook pages looks cool.

Maybe no one has explained it to you, but no one is going to make you use an eReader if you don't want. You can use a laptop to read Kindle eBooks. Or you can download ePub books from the internet.

Some of us prefer the format of a Kindle or iPad. It's easier to read on a plane or lying in bed and allows us to have access to new books even if we don't have Internet access.

In any event, it's optional. If you prefer to read a pdf file on your laptop, no one is stopping you. Similarly, you have no say in telling others what they should do.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregroberts View Post

Don't forget her pathetic endorsement of all Obama

Please exit....

Stage Right.

Or find a political thread to post your drivel.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSux View Post

This makes total sense. The people who watch oprah are the perfect demographic for apple products, though they probably can't afford anything with an apple logo.

Not so. I just came from an Apple Store and it was completely packed with people curious about the iPad. Incredible.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Similarly, you have no say in telling others what they should do.

Of course not, but one can always try to make them feel inferior.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not so. I just came from an Apple Store and it was completely packed with people curious about the iPad. Incredible.

I was in an Apple Store on Sunday and was surprised at how packed it was. The store was overly packed but the front of the store made it seem even worse by the number people surrounding the iPads.

Despite their size Apple Stores are very much anchor stores for malls. I have to wonder how much of a discount they get just from choosing to be in one mall over another and how much they can charge stores proximal to Apple Stores.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    wow, where have you naysayers been for the past 20 years. Whatever Oprah endorses is immediate gold. She is by far the most influential person for American women, and it's people like her that get people elected, authors on the bestseller list and films made or broken. The iPad is going to sell like hotcakes.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Oh god, how did you get in here?

let's face it Obama is the biggest quacks that Oprah has ever promoted. As such she is directly responsible for the embarrassing situation we are in right now. The harm she has done by promoting lesser idiots is insignificant in comparison.

Dave
  • Reply 77 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Seriously, let's knock off the political comments.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Seconded. Not for this thread.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think some of it is par for the course when the headline concerns a super-popular and well-known media figure. For example, the comments would have more numerous and political if the headline was about Limbaugh gushing (ugh... the image.....anyway.... )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

let's face it Obama is the biggest quacks that Oprah has ever promoted. As such she is directly responsible for the embarrassing situation we are in right now. The harm she has done by promoting lesser idiots is insignificant in comparison.

Dave

What is the 'embarrassing situation' that we are in right now? Care to explain with actual facts?
  • Reply 80 of 92
    tsad23tsad23 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

She actually bought a new car for each of 276 people in her audience in 2004.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/5989964/

She will probably buy 3G x 64GB iPads for everyone this year.

Time will tell.

She did not buy the cars. GM gave those cars away on her show. It as a very costly advertisement for GM that Oprah took credit for.