RIM unveils BlackBerry OS 6 with iPhone-like multitouch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    It is a sad attempt to hit every demographic except the Leisure World crowd. An ad like that appeals to the superficial ID. However, isn't there last claim of distinction supposed to be that they are more serious and reliable "business" phone? Every crack-berry head claims it is superior for email, blah blah. RIM would have been better off improving upon that reputation instead of trying to compete with Apple on the coolness factor. They will lose every time. Haven't they been paying attention for the last decade?
  • Reply 42 of 76
    thearetheare Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Just curious as to how long the iPhone has had multi-touch?

Uhhh since the first iPhone came out almost 3 years ago.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Did anyone else notice the clown fish wallpaper in the wallpapers section of the video. Very Apple!
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

It looks like they took the iPhone UI and simply changed the font.

Now that's funny!
  • Reply 45 of 76
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Apparently the new blackberry OS has kinetic scrolling, which Apple holds the patent for. Guess it won't be long before the get a letter from Apple.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Apparently the new blackberry OS has kinetic scrolling, which Apple holds the patent for. Guess it won't be long before the get a letter from Apple.

BB OS had kinetic scrolling ever since 5.0 came out over a year ago.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    I wonder what Blackberry 6, Android, WP7S, WebOS, etc would be like if Apple had never entered the smartphone business.

MUCH different I imagine.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

BB OS had kinetic scrolling ever since 5.0 came out over a year ago.

So it did. Wonder if Apple will be watching to see how OS 6 goes. 5 was pathetic on the storm but more so to do with the weak hardware. Could be interesting times ahead for Rim.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

... If somebody called you up and said "I'll give you 100k to use your song in a commercial for our new phone" you'd take that money in a heartbeat.

No offence, but why do people with low morals always assume that others are the same? I certainly wouldn't allow any song or artwork I ever made to be used in a commercial. I'm not rich, and I wouldn't take any amount of money to do that because I personally think it's wrong.

Not everyone is corrupt. Not everyone would go against something they believe in for something as stupid as money. It's just that the people who would, like to think that everyone is as weak or easy as they are.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    These companies, MS, RIM, Sony, etc., amaze me.

Instead of bashing out quick & dirty subpar copies...take deep breadth, stand back devise a 'longterm' strategy to compete in a meaningful way against Apple. With the resources, customer base (albeit, diminishing) surely they could do better than the storm, Vista, etc.

they all seem to take the Walmart model sell crap but sell a lot of it! The only companies that succeed at this are coca cola (crap for 'drinks'), McDonald's (crap for 'food'), GM (crap for 'cars'), MS (crap for 'software')
  • Reply 51 of 76
    kisinkisin Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

That video makes me cringe.

So I'm not the only one who found it annoying and pretentious...

It's sad to see how RIM stereotypes it's users...
  • Reply 52 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

I wonder what Blackberry 6, Android, WP7S, WebOS, etc would be like if Apple had never entered the smartphone business.

Android before the iPhone is easy.
    I figure the others would still be pushing physical keyboards as standard with some really poorly designed, overly expensive and pretty much useless touch based phones for the outer fringe.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

BB OS would still look the same as the 5.0 release. Android would have looked similar to the BB OS (since it was the smartphone "leader" before the iPhone), WP7 would have probably continued looking like WinMo 6.5.

webOS on the other hand, I would say probably would have taken the place of the iPhone OS and we would probably all be carrying around Palm smartphones. It's the most unique of all the OSs on the list.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    This would have been interesting.

In 2007.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    I've no real problem with RIM, but who the hell approved the idea behind that video? "Hey lets demo our new UI! That will be the focus of the video! ...Wait no, lets make it semi-transparent and have someone dancing or jigging around behind it, obviously not actually using it and pointing at the air."

Way to distract from the whole purpose of the video: to show off the new OS.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    That ad's just creepy! Who they think they gonna reach with it! It's horrible!
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This would have been interesting.

In 2007.

It would have been annoying even way back then!
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Brings new focus to bear on the original title of their song "Let's Get Retarded".

That is the funniest thing I've read all day! +1
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

If somebody called you up and said "I'll give you 100k to use your song in a commercial for our new phone" you'd take that money in a heartbeat.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No offence, but why do people with low morals always assume that others are the same? I certainly wouldn't allow any song or artwork I ever made to be used in a commercial.

What if I offered you $10 million, threw in a private plane, and offered free health care to all of your extended family forever?

Be truthful now......
  • Reply 60 of 76
    It's like watching your parents dance to the Black Eyed Peas at a wedding or something...

And to have the UI as an opaque layer rather than front and centre clearly shows where the focus (certainly in marketing and also engineering it seems) has gone with this release...