Apple releases iTunes 9.1.1, fixing VoiceOver, Genius Mixes issues

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released a minor update for iTunes, its media player suite for Mac and Windows, with version 9.1.1 bringing fixes for a number of issues, including stability and usability problems with VoiceOver and Genius Mixes.

According to Apple, iTunes 9.1.1 provides a number of "important bug fixes." They include:

Addresses several stability issues with VoiceOver

Addresses a usability issue with VoiceOver and Genius Mixes

Addresses issues with converting songs to 128 kbps AAC while syncing

Addresses other issues that improve stability and performance

The update is available via software update or direct from Apple. iTunes 9.1.1 is a 93MB file available for Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista 32 bit and 64 bit, and Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit.

iTunes 9.1 arrived late last month just before the iPad went on sale in the U.S. That update added a number of new features, including the ability to sync and organize books with the software, and the ability to rename, rearrange or remove Genius Mixes.

The update also added the ability to automatically convert songs to 128 Kbps AAC format when syncing with a specific device, shrinking the file size to allow users to fit more onto their iPhone, iPod or iPad. Previously that feature was only available for the iPod shuffle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Phat!
  • Reply 2 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    FYI: Not that it was expected, but they didn't address the issue with iPhone OS v4.0 that allows you to backup and maintain folders after you add a new app.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Do we know what the bugs that this update fixes with VoiceOver?
  • Reply 4 of 30
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Only on Winblows could one app crash another.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

What are you referring to?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:

Sorry. This little tidbit isn't in the AI article but is in the Macrumors one.

"The Windows version offers a slightly different list of issues addressed, dropping the VoiceOver and Genius Mixes bugs and adding a fix for iTunes crashing when conflicting with other third-party software."
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Sorry. This little tidbit isn't in the AI article but is in the Macrumors one.

"The Windows version offers a slightly different list of issues addressed, dropping the VoiceOver and Genius Mixes bugs and adding a fix for iTunes crashing when conflicting with other third-party software."

Which has nothing to do with Windows and everything to do with iTunes. If Apple had to peform the fix then it was an iTunes induced crash.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    I wish they would enable use of genius mixes on my iPod classic 120G... \
  • Reply 9 of 30
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Which has nothing to do with Windows and everything to do with iTunes. If Apple had to peform the fix then it was an iTunes induced crash.

Not necessarily. If you know your software is crashing because of conflicts with other software, and you know why, and you even know it's the other software's fault, what's easier, changing your software to avoid the conflict, or convincing the other vendor to change theirs? Based on the available information, your assertion is unsupported.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1621434]

I was able to convert my songs to 128 kbps AAC in the last version.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Can anyone confirm if the Smart List bug is fixed where it doesn't include all of the songs that match the criteria? I've had to turn off the 'live updating' to get around it.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    [QUOTE=crackedpot;1621484]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iTunes already automatically converted songs during syncs on my iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Well, this update did not fix the extremely slow sync with the iPad. It still takes a LOT longer than to sync with the iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    [QUOTE=crackedpot;1621484]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I think they are talking about the Ringtone issue...
  • Reply 15 of 30
    iMac 3.06Ghz 24"; latest OSX; installed update and no longer have output from internal speakers or from the headphone jack; your help? TIA Michael
  • Reply 16 of 30
    iMac 3.06Ghz 24"; latest OSX; installed update and no longer have output from internal speakers or from the headphone jack; your help? TIA Michael
  • Reply 17 of 30
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MMurphy View Post

Go into the Control Panel, then the Output tab, and ensure a sound device is listed there and that it's not muted. Try selecting Internal Speakers and ensure the volume is turned up to the middle setting.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MMurphy View Post

Have you restarted your computer?

Did you check System Preferences » Sounds » Output tab to see if Internal Speakers is selected or even available?

Did you have headphones in the jack and then remove them, thus causing the issue? If so, replace them, restart and after it boots up then remove them again.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Currently doing the upgrade on 1 of my 2 iPhones. 2g & 3G. I currently have a Droid and will upgrade to the Incredible as soon as it comes available.

iTunes is going through every song (about 2 seconds per song) as well as a half hour backup of my iPOS (current to now on firmware and iTunes).

UNACCEPTABLE! A full updated for a 0.0.1 upgrade and it's going to take hours for each phone (that I use as iPods).

Apple has to get their Shit Together. a 0.0.1 upgrade should be as simple as an upgrade on Windows or Apple.

Android has Apple's POS Mobile POS OS beat on every front.

APPLE & STEVE JOBS. GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND GET A VERSION OF ITUNES THAT DOESN'T SUCK ON THE PC.

AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT. GET TRUE MULTI-TASKING. THE CURRENT BS OFFERINGS AS TO WHY YOU ARE NOT DOING IT ARE BS.

Sent from my iPhone.

Steve Jobs. No big deal.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    blowabsblowabs Posts: 70member
    The voice over is for the shuffle, I hope? Ty.