Nearly 30% of Apple's first-gen iPhones are still in use - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    mosxmosx Posts: 26member
    Still using my original iPhone. Still using my original iPod touch as well.

Refuse to sign another contract with AT&T. Their service is the worst. And around here in SoCal, I get a better signal on EDGE than my 3G and 3G S using friends.

If theres no iPhone for other carriers announced this Summer then I suppose I'll just use my iPad around the house, upgrade my iPod touch this Fall, and get a regular phone on a carrier that actually works. I don't "need" a smart phone, I just like my iPhone. But no device is good enough to make me stay with the hell that is AT&T's service.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
  • Reply 63 of 74
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

What's happened to the other 70%? Recycled, I hope.

Mine is sitting in my personal Apple museum. What, you don't have a personal Apple museum?
  • Reply 64 of 74
    jbondojbondo Posts: 6member
    I have an original 4GB iPhone, and I use web services all the time-- in the form of apps... Facebook, Myspace (okay, not so much anymore), etc... It's actually pretty rare that I use Safari to get info on the web. So I wonder if usage like this skews the data?
  • Reply 65 of 74
    I'm still using my 1st gen iPhone. My AT&T contract expired in December 2009 and I refuse to renew it b/c I don't want to give AT&T any more money than I have to. Aside from that, my iPhone still works great so I have no real reason to upgrade - at least not yet.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Disappointed Apple doesn't sell unlock codes for a premium after 3-12 months of service...

Simple: fly to Sydney Australia, catch a train to Town Hall, buy an unlocked iPhone at the Apple Store, return by train to Sydney international, fly back to where you started from. The cost and the 40+ hrs flying might be a problem, though ;~(.

Cheers
  • Reply 67 of 74
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

1G

Still working like a champ

Ok, almost 'upgraded' one time, need to get into iTunes Store while 'out on a job'

But now, least in my City, Edge connects just fine

So, like Emmett told Aunt Bee, "If it ain't broke, no need to fix it"

And, imho - is just like an iPad, only smaller

• Reply 68 of 74
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

There was a time a phone used to last forever. Now, when I go to the phone store to have my old phone "maintained", the clerk tells me, it is too old (after two years). They want me to buy a new one.

It just happened to coincide with their renewal cycle.

CGC.

Apple pretty much invented the idea of phone maintenance...before, even with smartphones, you got what you got in the box, period. and if you did ever get a firmware update, it was just a bug fix, and the razor or blackberry at the store 9 months to a year later may well have been the same chips on the inside, but it now did xyz because of a software patch that U cant get on yours, Apple ended that shit, and for that those who care about not waisting resources, and those on the wireless phone treadmill owe Apple a lot of thanks.

P.S.

That is why I will be rreplacing my aging iPhone 3g 8gb with a 16 GB model of whatever apple releases in June because I will get at least 2 and maybe 3 major revs out of it and thus be at least semi current for 4 years or so. I will be loyal to Apple because they did not screw me when I was unemployed in 2009, I got 85-90% of the usability of the 3gs that my friends bought with just a patch that cost me nothing...who says apple is more expensive?
  • Reply 69 of 74
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    The number of 1st generation Iphone users sounds believable. After all some people use their iphones occassionally, others are satisfied with the features they have.

Eventually when a new IPHONE comes out with some real hot features we'll see a big run to upggrading. What's a 'REAL HOT FEATURE'???? It's certainly not muliitasking, or folders or an LED flash.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

The number of 1st generation Iphone users sounds believable. After all some people use their iphones occassionally, others are satisfied with the features they have.

Eventually when a new IPHONE comes out with some real hot features we'll see a big run to upggrading. What's a 'REAL HOT FEATURE'???? It's certainly not muliitasking, or folders or an LED flash.

you want a hot new feature? how about letting the Macbook Pro team design the phone...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/c...sius-your-lap/
  • Reply 71 of 74
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SFSwitcher View Post

This analysis includes only people that have accessed AdMob through Apps or web sites I believe. I'm sure there is a significant group of users that just use their iPhones for cell phone, email and calendaring so this number could be even higher.

I would be extremely skeptical that such a "significant group" exists.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

My 1st gen iPhone has been notoriously abused by me. I got a Vaja case for it a few months after i got it just for safety's sake. I routinely demonstrate the hardness of the tempered optical glass to my Blackberry friends - and invite them to join me in swiping car keys back and forth across their screens - hundreds of time (for me) by now I think. Most demur - but one took me up on it (after he had bought his new 3GS ) and he delightedly scored his Blackberry screen with his keys.

I toss mine some distance onto tables and desks with the occasional collision with other objects, drop it, and otherwise behave very badly towards it - and it keeps working. My battery still manages a full day and some before recharge.Since it consolidated my PDA, iPod and cellphone into one device - the price I paid for this resilient kit was well worth it and more. I may, just may, upgrade this summer with the new OS and hardware, depending on the final config of the new model. I never imagined that one device like this could so readily handle my mobility needs so well.

You are luckier than me. I don't cosset my 1st gen iPhone by any means, but I certainly don't test it the way you do. Nevertheless, I am hoping it will survive to June or whenever the next one appears. I had a stuck pixel recently, which had gradually extended itself to a grey line that covers around half the screen. Another two appeared above the first, so I have three pixel-deep lines now. I suspect they'll gradually increase in size until they cover the full width of the screen. They don't bother me that much, given that the next update is likely close, and I obviously qualify for the cheaper option. My fear is that more will appear...

Overall, I think the phone has done fairly well for a complex piece of tech that has lived in my pocket for three years, has been dropped multiple ( I have a five yo and a three yo who love to game on it) times, and has been used in all weathers and temperatures. It sure lasted a lot longer than the crappy Motorola Q it replaced.

Edit: appy-polly-logies for the double post...
  • Reply 73 of 74
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    The number I find shocking is those still on 3.1.2! I have to assume the vast majority of these are jail broken and/or unlocked. While one can upgrade to 3.1.3 it was advised against since there were no new features.

As for how many ate on 3.x I actually don't find that surprising. The device essentially HAS to be tethered occasionally to remain useful, and thr update OS box pops up making it trival.

I am surprised so many original models are off the Internet entirely, so realiZE that just because they dropped edge data plans does mean they don't have wifi.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Simple: fly to Sydney Australia, catch a train to Town Hall, buy an unlocked iPhone at the Apple Store, return by train to Sydney international, fly back to where you started from. The cost and the 40+ hrs flying might be a problem, though ;~(.

Cheers

Problem is you are still stuck in a 2-year contract with a carrier in the US. (I'm fine with that part to be honest.) I want to get the subsidy for signing the contract, since I am stuck with it anyway. Pre-paid plans for the iPhone don't make sense here, although they are great for travel!