App Store submission offers wireless iTunes sync for iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    easy288easy288 Posts: 80member
    Zune HD already does this. Another way Apple is behind the curve.

Next thing will be iPhone can output HD video to tv. Wait for it.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Would be nice if you could update your podcasts over wifi. Supposedly it can be done, but I can't find out how.

Post if you know about it.

You can't sync them with the Mac using just iTunes. But you can get new episodes via iTunes on the iPhone. There's a link on the iPod side for each podcast that launches itunes to look for more episodes. You can get them over 3 g if they are small enough.

Is that what you mean?

Personally i would like wifi sync. Especially with 802.11n on the iPad. My iTunes library resides in a different place from where i usually charge my phone. What's the harm in letting me choose how to do it?
  • Reply 23 of 39
    100% fake you can see another iphone connected by usb behind the monitor.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    I can't believe it has taken so long to have such basic functionality.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    If it gets rejected please bring it to cydia. Can't wait.

Unless it's already there... gonna go check.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    If they bring wireless sync it will probably only be on the new phone (at the time), so this is a good app to have around whether it gets through (unlikely) or ends up on cydia.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

Zune HD already does this. Another way Apple is behind the curve.

Next thing will be iPhone can output HD video to tv. Wait for it.

I had a Zune before I had my iphone. I miss my wireless sync. Whenever my zune was docked in the kitchen on the radio and it wasn't playing music it would sync. I just had to grab in on the way out the door and never had to worry if I downloaded the new podcasts or transferred my new tunes. I really miss that feature. Really, that is the only thing I miss because the iphone is pretty sweet. I think Apple won't due wifi sync due to it's speed.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    I hope it's approved.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

I hope it's approved.

Well if its not, at least it will definitely sell on RockYourPhone
  • Reply 30 of 39
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpokorny View Post

One of the biggest problem I have here at home is with my wife's dell laptop. When the lid is closed and it's in sleep mode, the usb is not being powered. So at night, her iphone is not being charged. If we could have the iphone plugged in to the wall and wirelessly sync it, then we would not have to worry about the laptop being awake or asleep.

Luckily, my macbook charges my iphone while asleep.

Yes, I know the answer is to get her a macbook. Easier said than done.

On my work machine - ThinkPad T61p - there is a setting to leave the USB powered on when the machine is asleep.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post

This is useful.. But I think it isn't necessary...

How about when you're late getting out the door, you want to quickly sync a podcast or a few tracks to listen to in the car, and you can't find your goddamn cable? The device has wifi; it's insane that wifi syncing isn't possible.

Let's see what the overlords decide.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

So I see you don't have an iPad.

The lower powered USB does in fact charge the iPad, just not when the screen is on.

I do and I never knew that. I have just plugged my iPad into the Dell here at work, screen is off it was 31% charged. I'll look in an hour to see if it's gone up.

If it has, thanks for the tip. **edit - OK it does, vveerrryyy slowly. About 5% in an hour.

I still think wireless syncing is something we should have. The Zune has had it for 3 years...
  • Reply 33 of 39
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carlo Pagani View Post

Right - Lets try sync a couple of movies or Gb of music. No thanks - the device needs to be charged anyway so this may be just an excursive in creativity. IMHO

Just like wireless Time Machine backups to an Apple Time Capsule. Apple should either remove wireless Time Machine backup capability, or discontinue Time Capsule entirely.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Personally i would like wifi sync. Especially with 802.11n on the iPad. My iTunes library resides in a different place from where i usually charge my phone. What's the harm in letting me choose how to do it?

Because the very thought of having a feature that they personally don't need is so offensive to some people, they would prefer that nobody gets to have it at all.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not make a 3G iPhone. Nobody cares about 3G.

Apple will not add GPS to the iPhone. Nobody cares about GPS.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple will not make a tablet. Nobody cares about tablets.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carlo Pagani View Post

Right - Lets try sync a couple of movies or Gb of music. No thanks - the device needs to be charged anyway so this may be just an excursive in creativity. IMHO

My phone charges for at least 8 hours every night in a dock no where near my computer.

I think it's ridiculous that with everything else we have there is this absolutely asinine arbitrary restriction.

I hardly sync "gigabytes of movies or music" regularly - but I routinely sync a hundred gigs of new podscasts or other daily content. It's a massive PITA to tether my iPhone to do so, and wholly unnecessary.

And even if I wanted to re-sync my entire phone over wifi, who the heck cares? If I want to let it go literally all night long, oh well! It's not hurting one damn thing.

I sincerely hope this app gets in and I think it's crazy it took a third party developer to do something that should be in the @^#^%! OS.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

But for the most part, syncing makes the most sense if it takes place while also charging, so wireless syncing will never be that useful until you can transfer gb's in seconds.

I very rarely charge my phone at my computer. I have multiple iPod accessories from car kits and powered speakers where I use my iPhone. Again if my phone is plugged in overnight to charge by my bed, why do I need to transfer gigabytes in seconds?

And as others pointed out, this idiotic restriction makes even less sense for the iPad.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

With Android and WebOS (and soon Windows Phone 7) offering free cloud-based syncing, it's sad that us iPhone users are forced to use USB cable (unless we pay $100/year for MobileMe or use Exchange Server).

MobileMe doesn't sync iTunes content, and it has nothing to do with this program. This program gives you sync with iTunes - but instead of via a USB cable, it's over wifi.

That's it. Your MobileMe light suggestion doesn't address what this program does.

Something that should be built into the OS, from Apple, is instead delivered by a developer. Ridiculous...
  • Reply 38 of 39
    oodlumoodlum Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Because the very thought of having a feature that they personally don't need is so offensive to some people, they would prefer that nobody gets to have it at all.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not make a 3G iPhone. Nobody cares about 3G.

Apple will not add GPS to the iPhone. Nobody cares about GPS.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple will not make a tablet. Nobody cares about tablets.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

I guess your point is that Apple does listen to customers and willingly adapts to make their products more useful, right?? At least, that is the point you just proved. You seem to be angry that they didn't do EVERYTHING, all at once.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

MobileMe doesn't sync iTunes content, and it has nothing to do with this program. This program gives you sync with iTunes - but instead of via a USB cable, it's over wifi.

That's it. Your MobileMe light suggestion doesn't address what this program does.

Something that should be built into the OS, from Apple, is instead delivered by a developer. Ridiculous...

Maybe not so ridiculous, and your answer suggests a reason why maybe it's not so ridiculous. This function should be built into the OS? Meaning, works only on a Mac? Has that been Apple's approach to supporting their mobile devices? Since it hasn't been Apple's approach, this function would have to be supported within iTunes for both Mac and Windows. Possibly this results in issues that are more complex to address than the "we just should have it" crowd allows.

What's more, we don't know if this (so far) non-product even works. That extremely unprofessional video tells me nothing more than the people who produced it are extremely unprofessional. I certainly would not use it as proof positive that this problem has been solved.