Apple's annual WWDC to be held June 7-11 in San Francisco

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple announced Wednesday that its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, where it is expected to reveal its next-generation iPhone, will be held June 7 through June 11 at San Francisco's Moscone West.

The five-day conference will include the first-ever iPad development sessions and hands-on working labs for iPhone OS 4, as well as Mac OS X core technology labs.

"This year's WWDC offers developers in-depth sessions and hands-on working labs to learn more about iPhone OS 4, the world's most advanced mobile operating system," said Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iPhone Software. "WWDC provides a unique opportunity for developers to work side-by-side with Apple engineers and interface designers to make their iPhone and iPad apps even better."

WWDC 2010 is focused on providing advanced content for skilled developers across five key technology tracks: Application Frameworks; Internet & Web; Graphics & Media; Developer Tools; and Core OS. Apple engineers will deliver over 100 solutions-oriented technical sessions and labs. WWDC 2010 gives an incredibly diverse community the opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iPhone, iPad and Mac developers from around the world.

Sessions offered in support of the five technology tracks include:

Application Frameworks: Implementing Local and Push Notifications; Future Proofing Your App; Understanding Foundation; What's New in Foundation for iPhone OS 4; Advanced Cocoa Text Tips and Tricks; API Design for Cocoa and Cocoa Touch; Advanced Gesture Recognition; Integrating Ads with iAd; Building a Server-driven Personalized User Experience; Using Core Location in iPhone OS 4; and Calendar Integration with Event Kit.

Internet & Web: Delivering Audio and Video Using Web Standards; Getting the Most Out of Safari Integrated Developer Tools; Using HTML5 Local Data Storage; Adding Touch and Gesture Detection to Webpages on iPhone OS; and Creating Info Graphics with Standard Web Technologies.

Graphics & Media: OpenGL ES Tuning & Optimization; OpenGL ES Shading & Advanced Rendering; OpenGL ES Overview for iPhone OS; OpenGL for Mac OS X; Game Design and Development for iPhone OS; Introduction to Game Center; Setting Up Games on Game Center; Game Center Techniques; Core Animation in Practice; Discovering AV Foundation; Editing Media with AV Foundation; and Advances in HTTP Live Streaming.

Developer Tools: Developer Tools Overview; Designing Apps with Interface Builder; Working Effectively with Objective-C on iPhone OS; Mastering Core Data; Advanced Objective-C and Garbage Collection Techniques; Advanced Performance Analysis with Instruments; Mastering Xcode for iPhone Development; and Adopting Multitasking on iPhone OS.

Core OS: Network Apps for iPhone OS; Core OS Networking; Creating Secure Apps; Developing Apps that Work with iPhone OS Accessories; I/O Kit Device Drivers for Mac OS X; and Simplifying Networking Using Bonjour.

Additionally, there will be five iPad and five iPhone Apple Design Award winners announced at WWDC 2010. There is no requirement to enter and winners will be selected from the App Store based on criteria that includes design, technical excellence, innovation, quality, technology adoption and performance.

For more information and registration details, visit the WWDC 2010 Web site at developer.apple.com/wwdc.

The first half of June will be particularly busy for Apple. On the first of the month, the company's chief executive, Steve Jobs, will kick off the annual D: All Things Digital conference hosted by The Wall Street Journal with an on-stage interview.

Last year, WWDC 2009 ran June 8 through June 12, and included the introduction of the iPhone 3GS. This year, a leaked prototype of the fourth-generation iPhone has shown the hardware will have a redesigned outer shell, and add new capabilities like a forward-facing camera for video chat, and camera flash to improve picture lighting. Reports have suggested that the prototype design was likely very similar to the shipping product users will see this summer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Cant wait
  • Reply 2 of 54
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Wahoo! OS 4 and iPhone 4! Apple just doesn't let up on the caffeine kool-aid.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    womp womp
  • Reply 4 of 54
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Seems kind of early... maybe not.

But I wonder now that the cat's out of the bag!
  • Reply 5 of 54
    I'm too lazy to look this up, but didn't we expect WWDC to be in late June/early July this year? I could have sworn I read something like that here...
  • Reply 6 of 54
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Good Morning, thanks for coming to WWDC. You know recently we had some issues with the media in regards to our next iPhone. I'm here to say that this year there won't be a new model as punishment.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I agree it is quite early. Perhaps that means no beta of the next OS X this year? No wonder the Mac developer program is lowered to $99. Imagine it was still $499 and all you get all year are betas of point updates.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Wahoo! OS 4 and iPhone 4! Apple just doesn't let up on the caffeine kool-aid.

Of course you know that the Apple iPhone is the "Un-Cola" of Kool-Aid Smart Phone OS'es and smart phone hardware out there, and it comes from the "Think Different" company, to boot! So you can have your Droid Does, Android OS, Nexus One iPhone-lite and all the other iPhone wannabes all you want... They'll never be the "Un-Cola" of Smart Phones, Apple and it bunch of computer guys just walked in and they just got it (Thanks Ed)!

HAHAHA....

And this is what the iPhone does to the competition!

The Apple iPhone, "Crisp and Clean and No Android OS... "Never had it! Never will!"

Love those retro commercials!...
  • Reply 9 of 54
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Of course you know that the Apple iPhone is the "Un-Cola" of Kool-Aid Smart Phone OS'es and smart phone hardware out there, and it comes from the "Think Different" company, to boot! So you can have your Droid Does, Android OS, Nexus One iPhone-lite and all the other iPhone wannabes all you want... They'll never be the "Un-Cola" of Smart Phones, Apple and it bunch of computer guys just walked in and they just got it (Thanks Ed)!

HAHAHA....

And this is what the iPhone does to the competition!

The Apple iPhone, "Crisp and Clean and No Android OS... "Never had it! Never will!"

Love those retro commercials!...

That was a trip! Love the second one especially. Looks like what Apple did to Google, lol.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I agree it is quite early. Perhaps that means no beta of the next OS X this year? No wonder the Mac developer program is lowered to $99. Imagine it was still $499 and all you get all year are betas of point updates.

The iPhone 3GS announced last year at WWDC on June 8...
  • Reply 11 of 54
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Why don't people due a little due diligence before commenting?
    • WWDC 2010: June 7-11

• WWDC 2009: June 8-12

• WWDC 2008: June 9-13

• WWDC 2007: June 11-15

At least read the last paragraph

P.S. James, Rich, Sylvie, Arnold: Your addresses on the 'other' server. Got the house boat again. Let me know. [On the QT]
  • Reply 12 of 54
    bosoxbosox Posts: 20member
    I predict a squarish iPhone with a front facing camera and longer battery life. Call me Nostra-gizmo-damus...
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

That was a trip! Love the second one especially. Looks like what Apple did to Google, lol.

Like I said, love those retro commercials of my childhood. Brings back simpler times! Have a great day all... off to work...
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

• WWDC 2010: June 7-11

• WWDC 2009: June 8-12

• WWDC 2008: June 9-13

• WWDC 2007: June 11-15

That's why I said "maybe not"...

Quote:

At least read the last paragraph

I would have had to read ALL THAT to get to the last paragraph!? Nope, like our Congressman and Senators in Washington in passing legislation, I only read the title, not the heart of the bill!
  • Reply 15 of 54
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Am I missing something or is there nothing on 10.7?
  • Reply 16 of 54
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Why would there be anything on 10.7? Look at the time between Tiger and Leopard, and then look at the time between Leopard and Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

Just for you, I got off my lazy ass and did some searching around:

WWDC 2010, iPhone announcement rumored for June 28-July 2

See? I'm not crazy!
  • Reply 18 of 54
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Why would there be anything on 10.7?

I don't know. I guess because maybe it'll be the next Mac OS.

Quote:

Look at the time between Tiger and Leopard, and then look at the time between Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Yeah I'm aware of that but I was hopeful that the developers could get a preview.

Generally they do give a preview before they release it to the untamed masses.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Gruber either speculated or has inside info that 10.7 won't be announced at WWDC (or this year?) as Apple is too focused on iPhone OS-based products.

Quote:

Why would there be anything on 10.7? Look at the time between Tiger and Leopard, and then look at the time between Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Because historically it is the typical timeframe to Preview 10.7, with the first developer Betas coming months later with a release slated for Fall 2011. It's far from an unreasonable assumption.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    circuscircus Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

Just for you, I got off my lazy ass and did some searching around:

WWDC 2010, iPhone announcement rumored for June 28-July 2

See? I'm not crazy!

Wonderful - this little banter added a nice chuckle to my day. I remember reading that too but didn't even have the energy to write it.

It is so easy to misinterpret things when you don't have facial expressions and voice intonation to guide you. That is what give so much life to this forum.