Apple's annual WWDC to be held June 7-11 in San Francisco

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Gruber either speculated or has inside info that 10.7 won't be announced at WWDC (or this year?) as Apple is too focused on iPhone OS-based products.

Not totally unexpected but I am a bit disappointed. Was hoping to see what they have in store for 10.7. Especially since the features of 10.7 will probably be more user oriented vs. the features of SL that were developer oriented.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Of course you know that the Apple iPhone is the "Un-Cola" of Kool-Aid Smart Phone OS'es ...

That 7-Up commercial wasn't banned, I had to watch that stupid thing a million times when it was on TV.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    *cough* AMD *cough*
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Good Morning, thanks for coming to WWDC. You know recently we had some issues with the media in regards to our next iPhone. I'm here to say that this year there won't be a new model as punishment.

• Reply 25 of 54
    completely off topic, but the 7 Up Wet and Wild commercials were much better than the un-cola
  • Reply 26 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Why don't people due a little due diligence before commenting?

It's still the second earliest WWDC ever.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Not totally unexpected but I am a bit disappointed. Was hoping to see what they have in store for 10.7. Especially since the features of 10.7 will probably be more user oriented vs. the features of SL that were developer oriented.

Maybe it is taking longer because they are skipping 10.7 to go directly to OS XI 11.0? Hmmm, you never know how marketing will want to spin the next major OS, and there are only so many .x left until they have to abandon OS X for something newer.

Seriously though, I doubt they are ready to do this, but it really makes me wonder what the next evolution will bring. I have this foggy image in my head that Apple is readying a huge leap in the coming years that parallels the jump from OS 9 to OS X. Very exciting
  • Reply 28 of 54
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I think this year it will be all iPhone OS. I would love new version of MobileMe and iWork on the cloud.

I think new iPhone announcement will not be that exciting anymore, unless Jobs spin it really hard.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Whenever it arrives, I just hope it has Resolution Independence. I'd be more than willing to pay extra for a display with a higher ppi, but not until RI is a reality. I could be wrong, but RI looks a little better in 10.6.3 than it did in 10.6.2, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

For those that want to test out RI on their systems. 1 is the default, 0.8 would lower sclae down 20%, 1.25 would scale up 25%, et cetera:
    Code:

defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1

• Reply 30 of 54
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    There is no Apple Design Award for Mac apps this year. Only for the iPhone and iPad. This is yet another hint that Mac OS as we know it will no longer exist in 5-10 years and will either merge or be supplanted by the iPhone OS.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

There is no Apple Design Award for Mac apps this year. Only for the iPhone and iPad. This is yet another hint that Mac OS as we know it will no longer exist in 5-10 years and will either merge or be supplanted by the iPhone OS.

In 5-10 years, iPhone OS as we know it will no longer exist.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:

It's sad to see the Mac pushed further and further in to the background. And I know the iPhone is supposed to be the bee's knees, but to me it's for kids. It's a communication device basically: an expansion of the traditional phone to include texting and tweeting and Facebook and games.

But the iPad is something I can get behind. It doesn't have garbage collection which is something I think never should have been added to Mac (developer's rightly should have to think about how they are using memory). Also I like the one app on screen at once model - windows always seemed kind of pointless to me, and whenever an app (e.g. XCode) has an all-in-one mode I immediately switch to that.

In fact if XCode was ported to the iPad, and it had a real Ethernet port, I might make a docked one my main machine. Maybe the iMac will eventually get a touchscreen, and have a dual boot iPhone OS/Mac OS option, before eventually losing the Mac OS option.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's sad to see the Mac pushed further and further in to the background. And I know the iPhone is supposed to be the bee's knees, but to me it's for kids. It's a communication device basically: an expansion of the traditional phone to include texting and tweeting and Facebook and games.

[...]

In fact if XCode was ported to the iPad [...]

Seriously, this is crazy talk. Macs and Mac OS aren't going away. For one thing, they represent a significant portion of Apple's revenue. For another, although you can use them as standalone devices, the iPad and iPhone are conceived as companion devices: companions to a Mac or PC. And Apple hasn't invested the time and money in developing all the technologies that are in Snow Leopard only to toss them on the garbage heap.

And, Xcode/IB along with compilers are not going to be running on iPads anytime soon.

That they are focusing on iPhone OS at this years WWDC isn't that surprising, given that mobile is where most of the competition is coming from these days, and there are big changes with iPhone OS 4.0.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

I would LOVE to see a 10.7 preview, but I am not at all expecting it. Snow Leopard is a very mature OS that only came out 8 months ago.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Seriously, this is crazy talk. Macs and Mac OS aren't going away. For one thing, they represent a significant portion of Apple's revenue. For another, although you can use them as standalone devices, the iPad and iPhone are conceived as companion devices: companions to a Mac or PC. And Apple hasn't invested the time and money in developing all the technologies that are in Snow Leopard only to toss them on the garbage heap.

And, Xcode/IB along with compilers are not going to be running on iPads anytime soon.

That they are focusing on iPhone OS at this years WWDC isn't that surprising, given that mobile is where most of the competition is coming from these days, and there are big changes with iPhone OS 4.0.

I think it would be hard to argue that all these iDevices are not responsible for the increased Mac sales well above the industry average. And that Apple's increased focus on these satellite devices is not partially geared to sell more Macs.

The fact is, the cellphone market is simply more profitable than the PC market. The last report I read showed Apple getting about 35% of the operating revenue from worldwide PC sales. I doubt they would consider giving that up.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

It isn't crazy talk. Look at the evidence:

1. The MBPs were updated yet the iPad still dominates the front page.

2. There is no ADAs for Mac apps and are likely not to return.

3. The 'Get a Mac' ads have been rumored to been ended by people like Justin Long.

4. Jobs has repeatedly said that the iPad is the most important device he's ever made.

Since the iPhone's intro we are now at 1.0 Ghz dual core processors just three years later. In 5-10 years the iPhone OS will likely be fully fleshed out and there will far more powerful processors. The writing is on the wall. As of today the Mac only constitutes around 25% of Apple's total revenue.

The main concern is how closed the OS will be.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Seriously, this is crazy talk.

No, it really isn't. Notice the I.T. Track has been eliminated. Yes, the "D" in WWDC shows it's for Developers, but traditionally there have been sessions on those of us who do more than pound code. You know--the ones who keep you developers functioning? Sessions on imaging, deployment, network optimization, latest I.T. tools & methods, etc. Now...nothing. I honestly don't see much that would make me want to return to WWDC this year.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

As am I. I am hoping that this year is just hype and excitement due to the iPad and new iPhone (to be announced) and that once these products settle (after WWDC). Apple will get the ball rolling on the Mac OS X train again.

Quote:

Mac OS 10, 11, 12, etc will continue to be developed because face it, a Final Cut Pro user does not want to be using the iPhone OS to edit the next up and coming Avatar, nor would Coldplay want to record and produce their next album on an iPad. As *cool* as that would be, Apple and the professional masses know that it is in no way realistic, nor would they allow it to happen.

I do believe that Mac OS 10.7 will have lots of multi-touch functionality embedded and we will start to see iMacs with touch screens but I don't believe that will happen till 2012 or so.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    I don't think the Mac will go away, I just think it will eventually become an iPhone OS device.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:

It isn't crazy talk. Look at the evidence:

1. The MBPs were updated yet the iPad still dominates the front page.

2. There is no ADAs for Mac apps and are likely not to return.

3. The 'Get a Mac' ads have been rumored to been ended by people like Justin Long.

4. Jobs has repeatedly said that the iPad is the most important device he's ever made.

Since the iPhone's intro we are now at 1.0 Ghz dual core processors just three years later. In 5-10 years the iPhone OS will likely be fully fleshed out and there will far more powerful processors. The writing is on the wall.

The main concern is how closed this system will be.

That's not evidence, it's just fodder for idle speculation:

1. Because the iPad is revolutionary and new MBPs are not. MBP updates rarely "dominate" the "front page".

2. There's no evidence that they aren't likely to return. It's just as likely that Apple will have 2 developer conferences: one focused on iPhone OS and one on Mac OS.

3. Just because they are ending a series of ads doesn't mean they aren't planning to replace them with something else.

4. Jobs has not "repeatedly" said that, he's said it's as important as the Mac.

And there is no writing on the wall. Macs will also continue to get faster processors, with an OS that will also be "fleshed out" and can make full use of them.