Apple's annual WWDC to be held June 7-11 in San Francisco

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

No, it really isn't. Notice the I.T. Track has been eliminated. Yes, the "D" in WWDC shows it's for Developers, but traditionally there have been sessions on those of us who do more than pound code. You know--the ones who keep you developers functioning? Sessions on imaging, deployment, network optimization, latest I.T. tools & methods, etc. Now...nothing. I honestly don't see much that would make me want to return to WWDC this year.

Maybe the IT track wasn't much attended last year, compared to other sessions.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think the Mac will go away, I just think it will eventually become an iPhone OS device.

Exactly.

On the one hand, there will be no "OS-11," on the other hand, OS-11 is already in your pocket in it's primitive form.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's not evidence, it's just fodder for idle speculation:

1. Because the iPad is revolutionary and new MBPs are not. MBP updates rarely "dominate" the "front page".

2. There's no evidence that they aren't likely to return. It's just as likely that Apple will have 2 developer conferences: one focused on iPhone OS and one on Mac OS.

3. Just because they are ending a series of ads doesn't mean they aren't planning to replace them with something else.

4. Jobs has not "repeatedly" said that, he's said it's as important as the Mac.

And there is no writing on the wall. Macs will also continue to get faster processors, with an OS that will also be "fleshed out" and can make full use of them.

1. The iPad is not a revolutionary device. It is an evolution. It is rather odd that the iPad would consume the front page when laptops are updated and the most expensive iPad is cheaper than a Macbook.

2. You don't remove an ADA for the Mac before, what you believe, will be split dev sessions. You do it on the same year when the Mac and iPhone split conferences. There is no doubt that Apple is sending a message.

3. The Get a Mac ads have been around for years and the only devices that have ads now are iDevices. In conjunction with #2 only confirms suspicions.

4. Jobs has repeatedly said this and Tim Bajarin spoke about this. At the OS 4.0 intro Jobs also said that hopefully people will look back and see how important this was. This is not something you say of a tertiary device.

It will eventually be able to run Final Cut. There will be a desktop hardware running iPhone OS that will run the pro apps that are needed. Hardware is the least of concerns when it comes to this transition. It should be clear that "touch" is the future of tech and not a mouse. The only question now is how is Apple going to go about this.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Maybe the IT track wasn't much attended last year, compared to other sessions.

If the I.T. Track was lightly attended, a likely reason was the economy, not the legitimacy/usefulness of the track. Big companies (such as my employer) weren't allowing any travel during 2009. Now they've relaxed that policy with the improving economy and I'm ready to return to WWDC. But there's nothing for me to return to.

This is such a pity. The two WWDC's I attended on the I.T. Track were two of the best, most educational weeks of my life. It torques me off that Apple had to mess with things.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

1. The iPad is not a revolutionary device. It is an evolution. It is rather odd that the iPad would consume the front page when laptops are updated and the most expensive iPad is cheaper than a Macbook.

2. You don't remove an ADA for the Mac before, what you believe, will be split dev sessions. You do it on the same year when the Mac and iPhone split conferences. There is no doubt that Apple is sending a message.

3. The Get a Mac ads have been around for years and the only devices that have ads now are iDevices. In conjunction with #2 only confirms suspicions.

4. Jobs has repeatedly said this and Tim Bajarin spoke about this. At the OS 4.0 intro Jobs also said that hopefully people will look back and see how important this was. This is not something you say of a tertiary device.

It will eventually be able to run Final Cut. There will be a desktop hardware running iPhone OS that will run the pro apps that are needed. Hardware is the least of concerns when it comes to this transition. It should be clear that "touch" is the future of tech and not a mouse. The only question now is how is Apple going to go about this.

1. Well, in your opinion it isn't, but the people who write the front page disagree with you.

2. I didn't say there would be split conferences, just that it was just as likely as your conclusion. It would make some sense, however.

3. That they may have dropped the Get a Mac ads, and that they don't yet have a replacement, doesn't confirm any suspicions. They may just feel that the competition is most heated in mobile at the moment.

4. He said it was important, not the most important thing he ever did. You are exaggerating in this claim, just as all your points exaggerate circumstances to fit your points.

A touch interface is great on a phone or tablet. A touch interface is not so great on a monitor sitting on your desk that you are arms length and shoulder height from. Not everything is best served by touch, although, a touch keyboard, with configurable controls would be great, as would a trackpad like device to replace a mouse, but touching a desktop screen would be great for about 15 minutes. Even for Final cut, a touch interface would only be good if a) it were on a keyboard device, or b) the monitor were mounted in the desktop, and most people aren't going to have monitors mounted in desktops. Fortunately, Apple aren't stupid, they realize that touch isn't best for everything, so they won't make everything touch based and get rid of physical keyboards (even if these become devices with virtual keyboards) or mouse/trackpad devices.

And, although Final Cut may one day run on an iPad-like device, there will also be a version of Final Cut that runs on a Mac and is way more powerful than Final Cut today. Yes, tablets will evolve so they can support what desktops/laptops can do today, but desktops and laptops will also evolve to be able to do things we haven't even imagined today.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I think this year it will be all iPhone OS. I would love new version of MobileMe and iWork on the cloud.

I think new iPhone announcement will not be that exciting anymore, unless Jobs spin it really hard.

Yes. I can certainly see a new iWork before "Back to School" swings into motions. Mobileme hasn't had a major update in a while so it "feels" like they are working on the next major update. I'd like to see a new iLife as well.

Quote:

There is no Apple Design Award for Mac apps this year. Only for the iPhone and iPad. This is yet another hint that Mac OS as we know it will no longer exist in 5-10 years and will either merge or be supplanted by the iPhone OS.

It's only a hint if you take it as a hint. Mac OS is fine and frankly every WWDC that I've experienced has come with at least one developer saying "I just got my code ready for 10.x and now they want me to learn new stuff?"

The Mac lover in me wants to see what 10.7 offers but the realist says that focusing on the iPhone doesn't mean that development on 10.7 has stopped. Until then I'll happily compute on my iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1) It's the first successful tablet computer that created a great deal of other tablets to appear at CES this year with most going back to the drawing board when they found out it didn't start at $1000, but only $500, and had performance, battery and a display they couldn't compete with, even with more expensive models. Sounds revolutionary to me.

2) The most expensive iPad is the 64GB model with 3G at $829. The cheapest MacBook is $999. That is $170 cheaper than the MacBook. This information is readily available.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Whenever it arrives, I just hope it has Resolution Independence. I'd be more than willing to pay extra for a display with a higher ppi, but not until RI is a reality. I could be wrong, but RI looks a little better in 10.6.3 than it did in 10.6.2, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

For those that want to test out RI on their systems. 1 is the default, 0.8 would lower sclae down 20%, 1.25 would scale up 25%, et cetera:
    Code:

defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1

I am running your test at 1.25. Looks wonderful! Thank you so much for posting it!!!
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

I am running your test at 1.25. Looks wonderful! Thank you so much for posting it!!!

Definitely improving, albeit slowly. You'll have to log out or kill DashboardClient and Finder to see some of the native issues still affecting it. iTunes still looks washed out in the windows. That might be a Carbon issue. It should all look crisp like the Menu Bar items.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:

Definitely improving, albeit slowly. You'll have to log out or kill DashboardClient and Finder to see some of the native issues still affecting it. iTunes still looks washed out in the windows. That might be a Carbon issue. It should all look crisp like the Menu Bar items.

My eyesight is always less than crisp. Everything is sort of fuzzy. Computer monitors are the worst. I am using this in 10.6.3, by the way. It is sharper looking that anything I can achieve with the zoom feature in Universal Access. On the other hand, it isn't a lot better than bumping it up a notch (CMD +) in Safari.

I have to agree with your original post. Hopefully, 10.7 will include RI in a perfected state. For me, it is the difference between staying with Mac OS, or having to return to Windows. Some things in your test don't work. My favorite Flash game doesn't fit on the screen, for example. That too can happen with an increase in DPI over on the Windows side.

I am frustrated with all the attention on things I don't care about: iPad/iPhone. It would be really nice to hear something regarding the future of Macs and the OS!

I know nothing about programming. I assumed this was something I'd use in Terminal. It didn't take effect until I closed Terminal. Is there a way, perhaps using Automator, to make a set of commands to change from one setting to another? If not, is there a way to duplicate my user settings, and create another user with the RI on?
  • Reply 51 of 54
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    No Mac OSX talk eh? That's alright, I'm glad to see them slow down OSX development. Every 3 years would be fine with me. Snow Leopard is a find OS. I would like them to work on their apps a bit more though in the meantime (i.e. Safari 5.0, refine server offerings, iLife and iWork 2010, etc).
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

I know nothing about programming. I assumed this was something I'd use in Terminal. It didn't take effect until I closed Terminal. Is there a way, perhaps using Automator, to make a set of commands to change from one setting to another? If not, is there a way to duplicate my user settings, and create another user with the RI on?

You can use Automator if you want, but it's just a simple command. If that is the last thing you put in Terminal hitting the Up Arrow will bring that command back up. I also suggest saving it to Stickies or wherever you keep assorted stuff like that.

Note that it went into effect as soon as you hit enter, but any app already running will still already in memory so won't be affected by this change. You'll have to restart each app you want it to affect, which is why I suggested logging out and then back in.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Anyone notice the similarity?
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:

You can use Automator if you want, but it's just a simple command. If that is the last thing you put in Terminal hitting the Up Arrow will bring that command back up. I also suggest saving it to Stickies or wherever you keep assorted stuff like that.

Note that it went into effect as soon as you hit enter, but any app already running will still already in memory so won't be affected by this change. You'll have to restart each app you want it to affect, which is why I suggested logging out and then back in.

I can only do the RI test for a little bit at a time. It is just blurry enough to make my eyes sore. But it looks good and gives me hope for being able to keep my Mac, and even get another one. Is there a secret formula for getting a better look? I used it at 1.25. During my testing of W7 RC, I increased the DPI to 125%.

My eyesight situation would be considered very unique. For the purpose of testing RI, I would be a perfect candidate for Apple. My brain sees imperfections, most people either can't, or ignore. Do you have any idea who I might contact at Apple to get involved?