Apple's next-gen iPhone could go on sale during WWDC 2010 - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After Apple announced on Wednesday that its annual Worldwide Developers Conference will kick off on June 7, one new rumor suggests the fourth-generation iPhone could go on sale immediately after it is announced.

Citing "sources familiar with the situation," Ben Parr of Mashable reported Wednesday that the new iPhone could go on sale as soon as June 7, when Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs is expected to give the event's keynote presentation. That would be a change from years prior, when a new handset was announced a few weeks before its sale date.

"Our sources say that Apple may break that tradition this year by shortening the timetable," Parr wrote. "An immediate release would also break another tradition: Apple fans camping out in front of Apple stores just so they can get their hands on the company's newest product."

Mashable also hedged its best by noting that "hardware issues, software bugs and supply chain scarcity always affect launch dates." The publication remains confident, however, that the new iPhone will launch in the first half of June.

Earlier this month, a report alleged that AT&T has blacked out the month of June for its employees to take vacation days. That was taken as an early indication that the iPhone could launch in June, instead of July.

Last year, the iPhone 3GS was launched on June 19. The device was formally unveiled over a week earlier at WWDC 2009, which ran from June 8 through June 12. A year prior, the iPhone 3G went on sale July 11.

Apple announced on Friday that WWDC 2010 will kick off on June 7, running through June 11 at San Francisco's Moscone West. A date for the keynote was not announced, though it is expected to be June 7.

An immediate launch could provide Apple with a surprise for users at this year's WWDC, as a leaked prototype of Apple's next-generation iPhone has already revealed that the handset will likely have a forward-facing camera for video chat, and camera flash to improve picture lighting. Reports have also suggested that the prototype design, which features a changed exterior with a flat back and aluminum sides, will be very similar -- if not identical -- to the shipping product to be sold this summer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    iWant.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    This would mean that there would be no third party software to support new native hardware features at launch, like the new cameras, higher resolution display, etc. Apple could allow these features available in the SDK before WWDC, but that would be VERY un-Apple like
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenJames1 View Post

iWant.

iNeed.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    at the biggest fan boy gathering you would have a mass exodus headed toward the closest Apple and AT&T stores! haha
  • Reply 5 of 41
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    My 3g phone is feeling extremely dated now, cant wait to get an updated product.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    The coolest thing Jobs could do would be to have Gray Powell bring the phone onstage at the keynote.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    I don't see this happening. There's a lot that has to happen internally at Apple before a product launch, and they are very careful about what employees are told about this stuff before it's officially announced. Most Apple employees only know what they heard at the keynote. For the iPad, for example, retail employees weren't briefed until they showed up for work on April 3. I don't see Apple, in spite of the iPhone being splashed across the pages of Gizmodo, looping in their rank-and-file employees before the announcement.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Given the timing of the beta, I'd expect iPhone OS 4 to be ready to go by then. Certainly no sooner.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If that is the case then it won't be shipping with v4.0 but with v3.x. We got the v4.0 Beta and SDK weeks later than usual and to offer the phone weeks earlier than usual gives Apple and 3rd-party devs at least 5 week less time to prepare.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

The coolest thing Jobs could do would be to have Gray Powell bring the phone onstage at the keynote.

And then publicly fire him for using the G4 iPhone to pick up chicks? j/k
  • Reply 10 of 41
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintel4me View Post

This would mean that there would be no third party software to support new native hardware features at launch, like the new cameras, higher resolution display, etc. Apple could allow these features available in the SDK before WWDC, but that would be VERY un-Apple like

True, but it could be workable:

* Apple could have its own app for the video camera (iChat?)

* Apple?s own aps (and home screen) could support the higher res (which I hope is a true rumor!), so that includes web browsing, email and maps?very useful out of the box

* 3rd-party apps should still run and look the same as they do now (pixel-doubled, but unlike the iPad it wouldn?t look bad compared to what we?re used to)

(And anyway, a few weeks or even a month of delay wouldn?t help developers that much. That?s barely enough for approval delay )

HOWEVER, OS 4.0 isn?t due until summer (beginning June 21). So releasing the new iPhone before then would either mean an early release of OS 4.0 (yay!) or that the new iPhone gets OS 4.0 sooner than the general release. I do NOT see much chance of the new iPhone shipping without OS 4.0, unless there?s some interim release like ?3.3? to enable basic functionality of the new resolution. (That would be disappointing, but OS 4.0 will still come along soon.)
  • Reply 11 of 41
    That would be most excellent.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenJames1 View Post

iWant.

iNeed. (rats, sorry Napolean Phoneapart, didn't see)
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And then publicly fire him for using the G4 iPhone to pick up chicks? j/k

Classic!
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Everytime I see that Gizmodo Exclusive watermark I just giggle at the irony.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

No, have Jobs introduce Gray Powell to show off the new iPhone and Mr. Powell fiddles as he searches pocket to pocket to pocket to pocket looking for that thing and have Phil Schilling bring out on a handcart a bunch of German beer and Steve says, "Not again, Gray. Not again, as Jobs shakes his head to the hoots, howls, screams and laughter from the audience...
  • Reply 16 of 41
    wprowewprowe Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Or to be called to bring it on stage and then pretend to have misplaced it.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Apple's next-gen iPhone could go on sale during WWDC 2010

Or not, Apple has a public at large knowing the next version is and thus holding off purchases.

Apple has to wait until a enough know-nothings buy out the previous versions inventory. It could take awhile.

$5,000 buys a lot of German beer...kids got taste.

Well, at least we know what it looks like. ;D

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone
  • Reply 18 of 41
    kevdokevdo Posts: 9member
    This is the stupidest prediction I've heard in a long time.

In addition to the previous pattern of "announce first, release week(s) later" (see: iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPad), Apple has already stated that iPhone OS 4 will be available in "Summer." Which, last time I checked, falls a couple weeks after this year's WWDC.

No way Apple releases the 4h Gen iPhone prior to OS 4 being available! Duh!!
  • Reply 19 of 41
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wprowe View Post

Or to be called to bring it on stage and then pretend to have misplaced it.

The chairs the audience sits in should all be bar stools with an iphone 4G disguised as a 3GS on them.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Yeah. June. Like every year!