Valve sets public Mac Steam release for May 12, 2010

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Valve Software has announced the public release of its new Mac version of the Steam gaming platform will happen May 12, slightly later than its initial goal of April.

Valve is currently operating an invitation only beta program for the Mac edition of Steam. This week, the company released a major new update to Steam for Windows users, which had been in beta for months.

The company first officially announced it would be bringing its Steam gaming service its Source gaming engine to the Mac platform in early March, after clues in late February suggested that a Mac version was imminent.

Valve president Gabe Newell said at the time in a press release, "The Mac is a great platform for entertainment services." Jason Holtman, Valve's Director of Business Development added, "our Steam partners, who are delivering over a thousand games to 25 million Steam clients, are very excited about adding support for the Mac.

"Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs, and we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge."

John Cook, Director of Steam Development said, "we looked at a variety of methods to get our games onto the Mac and in the end decided to go with native versions rather than emulation. The inclusion of WebKit into Steam, and of OpenGL into Source gives us a lot of flexibility in how we move these technologies forward.

"We are treating the Mac as a tier-1 platform so all of our future games will release simultaneously on Windows, Mac, and the Xbox 360. Updates for the Mac will be available simultaneously with the Windows updates. Furthermore, Mac and Windows players will be part of the same multiplayer universe, sharing servers, lobbies, and so forth. We fully support a heterogeneous mix of servers and clients. The first Mac Steam client will be the new generation currently in beta testing on Windows."

Valve announced it would be bringing its games powered by the Source engine to the Mac, including Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2. It also said the new Portal 2, due this holiday season, would be the company's first simultaneous release for Mac and Windows.

"Checking in code produces a PC build and Mac build at the same time, automatically, so the two platforms are perfectly in lock-step," said Josh Weier, Portal 2 Project Lead. "We're always playing a native version on the Mac right alongside the PC. This makes it very easy for us and for anyone using Source to do game development for the Mac."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I'm gonna friend EVERYONE here

then fuck you up in css
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Not to crap on the good news, which it certainly is, but everything after the first sentence has been covered (and re-covered) in previous articles. Just feels like a whole lot of filler, is all.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Awesome. Let's see what my Santa Rosa MB Pro's 8600M GT can do in my favorite Steam games. I doubt it will run stuff like F.E.A.R. 2 with mostly max settings however.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Thanks valve i'm looking forward to playing half life 2 for the first time.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Thanks valve i'm looking forward to playing half life 2 for the first time.

Really?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Excellent!!! I'm ready! 12th May is here!!
  • Reply 7 of 28
    zonk3rzonk3r Posts: 8member
    All I want is TF2 and L4D2 so I can play on my MacBook Pro. Gimme that and I'm happy!
  • Reply 8 of 28
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    The best news? If you already own the PC versions of the Source games, you don't have to buy them again.

Can't wait to try out Left 4 Dead 2 on my MBP.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    "The Mac is a great platform for entertainment services" Umm... relative to what?

The Sony console - no.

The Microsoft console - no.

The Nintendo console - no.

Microsoft PC + NVidia GTX 480 - double noes.

I am all in favor of this, but let's be honest: the Mac is not a great platform for games, in anything expect potential.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    As the new Total War games are on steam I hope that means they'll be going Mac, what with StarCraft II and Diablo 3 coming out from Mac friendly Blizzard will mean an end to bootcamp for me!
  • Reply 11 of 28
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"The Mac is a great platform for entertainment services" Umm... relative to what?

The Sony console - no.

The Microsoft console - no.

The Nintendo console - no.

Microsoft PC + NVidia GTX 480 - double noes.

I am all in favor of this, but let's be honest: the Mac is not a great platform for games, in anything expect potential.

Stop looking at the hardware. The modern macs are perfectly capable of running

all modern 3d-intense games with the exception of the most low-end macs not

being able to run the "benchmark-games" like Crytek-powered games.

He wrote the Mac is a great platform entertainment services.

In contradictory to something like "Macs are computers mainly

used as workstations used in complicated calculations of aerodynamics".

Mac is, and has always been, an entertainment platform, as well as a workspace.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Really?

Yes really. I don't own or want to buy an xbox or a copy of windows.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The best news? If you already own the PC versions of the Source games, you don't have to buy them again.

Can't wait to try out Left 4 Dead 2 on my MBP.

Really? That's what I was wondering! Good news! Now I just have to save up to upgrade from my G4 iMac..LOL!
  • Reply 14 of 28
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Can we get a link to the source (no pun intended) of this announcement? I've been looking around and can't find where Valve has set the March 12 date.

C
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Will this work on the late 2009 iMacs?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Can we get a link to the source (no pun intended) of this announcement? I've been looking around and can't find where Valve has set the March 12 date.

C

Because it's May 12th, not march.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Stop looking at the hardware. The modern macs are perfectly capable of running

all modern 3d-intense games with the exception of the most low-end macs not

being able to run the "benchmark-games" like Crytek-powered games.

He wrote the Mac is a great platform entertainment services.

In contradictory to something like "Macs are computers mainly

used as workstations used in complicated calculations of aerodynamics".

Mac is, and has always been, an entertainment platform, as well as a workspace.

They're perfectly capable of running them but Apple's history with gaming has been beyond terrible. OpenGL is still not updated to 3.0, let alone 3.2, their relationship with developers is neglectful at best and hostile at worst, input device support and performance is terrible, and they let the platform's biggest chip slip right through their fingers and right into Microsoft's hands. The porting houses can't make enough money and the first tier publishes are skeptical. There's potential but Apple has to follow through.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    ruckerzruckerz Posts: 58member
    If the leaked beta screen shots I've seen are true, I'm disappointed that Valve decided to go with their own ugly UI on my beautiful Mac desktop instead of using the native Mac gui toolkit. Nothing jaratees mac users more than disrupting our gorgeous desktops.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I am all in favor of this, but let's be honest: the Mac is not a great platform for games

It is now. That's the whole point.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    ruckerzruckerz Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slinberg View Post

It is now. That's the whole point.

An additional point, Macs may not have the *greatest* hardware, but for the hardware that it does have, it does what it needs to do much better than PCs because of the hardware optimization that can only be done when the user's exact hardware configuration can be known.

Game development for a Mac is similar to developing for a console: the hardware specifications are exact and the same across the entire product line which leads to better programming since you're not trying to make the game run on every possible configuration of hardware.