Apple Stores will close from 4-5 p.m. to prepare for iPad 3G launch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
All of Apple's U.S. retail stores will close for an hour today, between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. local time, in order to prepare for the official launch of the iPad 3G.

Apple updated all of its domestic retail store hours this week to note that locations will be closed for an hour on Friday "to prepare for the arrival of iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G." The product is set to launch at 5 p.m. local time.

The launch is different from the one earlier this month for the Wi-Fi-only model, which occurred on a Saturday. For that launch, stores began selling the iPad at 9 a.m. and UPS had special Saturday delivery for those who preordered online.

On Thursday, those who preordered the iPad with 3G began receiving notifications that their order had shipped. For this delivery, Apple has employed FedEx, and users should be receiving their 3G models today.

The 3G iPad models carry a $130 premium over their Wi-Fi-only counterparts. The 16GB model starts at $629, the 32GB capacity is $729, and the high-end 64GB offering is $829.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I still don't understand why Apple keep calling it "3G+WiFi" and not just "3G". I know because it have 3G and WiFi but isn't that obvious when you say 3G?! It is just unnecessary.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    Can't wait to see how much worse my ÅT&T signal will get with all these iPad users on the network. Contract is up in a couple of months thankfully
  • Reply 3 of 57
    joerujoeru Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I still don't understand why Apple keep calling it "3G+WiFi" and not just "3G". I know because it have 3G and WiFi but isn't that obvious when you say 3G?! It is just unnecessary.

Many 3G phones don't have WiFi. I think it helps clarify that both networking options are available.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I would think so, but I know I've read and responded to more than a few posters on this forum who were initial upset that the iPad 3G didn't have WiFi.

Though if Apple is trying to be clear why not add GPS in there, too, as I'm sure more people are unaware that GPS only comes with the 3G.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    I'm waiting for the HP Slate. Ballmer says it's killer!
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would think so, but I know I've read and responded to more than a few posters on this forum who were initial upset that the iPad 3G didn't have WiFi.

Though if Apple is trying to be clear why not add GPS in there, too, as I'm sure more people are unaware that GPS only comes with the 3G.

I think this is important. Initially I thought the same thing. It wasn't until I read the specs that I was aware of this. What made it worst was the "Only 3G+WiFi", which cause many to think they meant both models.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeru View Post

Many 3G phones don't have WiFi. I think it helps clarify that both networking options are available.

Well, the iPad does have WiFi and it is not called "iPad WiFi". I think it could be that Apple is thinking of dropping the WiFi only model in the future and replace it with 3G. Maybe..
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:

I think this is important. Initially I thought the same thing. It wasn't until I read the specs that I was aware of this. What made it worst was the "Only 3G+WiFi", which cause many to think they meant both models.

Yeah, that did need a second read to understand what Apple was getting at.

They list the follow specs which make sense in that regard:
    Wireless and cellular

Wi-Fi model

• Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

• Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Wi-Fi + 3G model

• UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

• GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

• Data only

• Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

But then they this info just below it where they repeat much of the same data:
    • Wi-Fi

• Digital compass

• Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

• Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
    My suggestion is to include the location section with the other two:
    Wireless, cellular and location

Wi-Fi model

• Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

• Digital compass

Wi-Fi + 3G model

• Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

• Digital compass

• Assisted GPS

• UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

• GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

• Data only
    For those unaware what we're discussing, check out the left column data: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
  • Reply 9 of 57
    spuditspudit Posts: 49member
    3G+Wi-Fi is showing up today sometime via FedEx. I'm excited because I can actually use it on the road now....just didn't realize how much I've relied on 3G with the iPhone.

Wi-Fi is great at home or work, but travelling bites without being able to get online just about anywhere- Wife is happily/greedily taking Wi-Fi one purchased at the original release.

I'm wondering as well if the new one will have an updated firmware to fix Wi-Fi issues...I've seen the connection problems repeatedly. Great signal...No signal...Great signal...No signal. Worked on all the fixes with router, etc., but am still seeing issues.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    So I don't get why the stores need to close. It's not like this is a brand new product or anything. An hour to put a sign or two up??? I'm sure all the people who are going to be asked to leave the store are going to be thrilled...
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

So I don't get why the stores need to close. It's not like this is a brand new product or anything. An hour to put a sign or two up??? I'm sure all the people who are going to be asked to leave the store are going to be thrilled...

It's not required but I can think of several reasons for it.
    1. It helps create anticpation, just like with the Apple Stores going down. Even if the online store goes down on a Sat night/Sun morning for routine maintence you'll still see articles about it.

2. Allows the staff to get a little breather from customers before they get bombarded for the rest of the night.

3. It allows managment to train everyone at the same time on the features and talking points of the 3G model. Make no mistake, Apple CSRs are less aware of new Apple Products than we are on tech forums.

4. It's more than just the signs, they also have to put out a few 3G iPads which I imagine is easier if there isn't a bunch of customer crowding around you while you're doing it. Sure, it'll just use WiFI, but the A-GPS should work and the look is a little different so it needs to be put out.

• Reply 12 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Ooh! Ooh! What about the Microsoft Courier? I hear it's a spectacular piece of vaporware. Hmmm... "vaporware"... I bet that means it's powered with a hydrogen fuel cell!
  • Reply 13 of 57
    iPad 3G just arrived! FedEx guy said "We've got trucks full of them."
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Duck -- there is an airbourne chair coming your way.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Quote:

In a few words:

Marketing

Preparation

Set-Up

Training

Breaks

As a former retailer:

Clearly, you've never worked in a retail environment. You sound like the customer who comes in and doesn't understand why every employee is with another customer, or why you have to wait to be seen at the Genius Bar. The world doesn't revolve around you - and retail stores don't either. The people working hard to sell and merchandise items are people and they work damn hard at what they do. Show some patience, understanding, and compassion and it'll get you so much further than complaining or 'wanting to speak to a manager.' Rant over.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ooh! Ooh! What about the Microsoft Courier? I hear it's a spectacular piece of vaporware. Hmmm... "vaporware"... I bet that means it's powered with a hydrogen fuel cell!

... actually, as someone else noted on here in another thread, the Slate is now shelved for a while. Apparently, and who would have guessed, Win 7 is not the best operating system for this type of device and Intel processor is a power hog.

Once they finish tinkering with their new $1.2 billion toy, HP "might" release a Slate with WebOS. Of course they'll have to find a new chip set to work with it... hmmmm... I'm guessing early 2012... and that will be the demo.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    They better put out better security and use plain bags with no drawstrings, you think all the strong arm robberies for the Wifi iPad was bad... the rich can afford the 3G+Wifi models and usually carry more than just pocket change and a debit card.

New 16GB Wifi iPads were selling for $1000 on eBay, only imagine what the 3G models will get.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Allows the staff to get a little breather from customers before they get bombarded for the rest of the night.

yep. they cut all training and tech after 4pm. but it's hard to get folks to leave if the store is open. so 'sorry we are closed you have to leave' is easier

plus they likely have staff that need to have a meal break.

Quote:

Make no mistake, Apple CSRs are less aware of new Apple Products than we are on tech forums.

I suspect you are the one making the mistake. they very likely receive tons of information about all the products via videos, text documents etc. they just perhaps haven't had a chance to put finger to the steps. or perhaps they have. who knows if there's a 3g that's under lock and key in an office behind those doors.

Quote:

It's more than just the signs, they also have to put out a few 3G iPads

well they don't HAVE to do anything, but yes, as you point out they will probably want to show off the GPS etc and likely will put at 3-4 3g models. And since they have apps and such on them, if those demos aren't sent set up they'd have to do that also. that's another 5-10 minutes of set up. and they probably wouldn't be able to open any boxes until 4pm.

Quote:

which I imagine is easier if there isn't a bunch of customer crowding around you while you're doing it.

having been in the store when someone was trying to replace a broken demo phone when the store was open I can say that it's more than a 5 minute task. Plus it looked like they had to shut off the alarms for half if not the whole table (which was why they had two extra staff at the table as security). so yeah, don't want to do that with the doors open if they can help it.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:

I called the store a few hours ago and they actually suggested I get there at 4pm to avoid a crowd. They probably didn't even know the store was closing until very recently....
  • Reply 20 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Here's a question... Apple's description of the plans says this:

Quote:

You sign up for 3G service right on your iPad. And you can monitor your data usage and change your plan at any time, including switching to unlimited data or canceling 3G service if you know you won't need it.

Does this mean you could sign up, use it for 2 hours, then cancel, then only pay for a fraction of the plan... or do you pay for the full month regardless of the total time used?