Apple to shutter acquired streaming music service Lala on May 31

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

This should be a taken as a lesson, buy and download your songs immediately in a neutral DRM-free format and make plenty of backups.

Who knows who or what will happen with your digital music, subscriptions, gift cards or accounts, it´s a changing environment.

People should be reminded that at the RIAA request, Apple has been tagging one´s iTunes purchased music with user identifiable information.

Does anyone know if Apple extends this to pre-existing music or cd rips?

Utter nonsense. I would agree with not wanting DRM-protected music from Apple, but the tagged stuff?whatever. It isn't going anywhere. Just don't share it over the web (not that I've heard of a single case of people getting prosecuted over that anyway).
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

I created a Lala account when I heard Apple bought them just to check out the service. It seemed like a nice idea to have my music available anywhere I could access the internet. It was only a matter of days before I was craving the app for my iPhone.

Yep. I started a lala account about a year ago in hopes of an iphone app to access it. lala.com is a very slick service. Well done. I bet Apple vetted their iphone app submission and found the golden egg. No need for a large hard drive on your iphone.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I have nearly 30,000 lossless tracks on my iMac, and would love an easy and legal way to stream them to my iPhone and iPad, even if it's 192Kbps.

I can recommend taking a look at a music service called Bitspace. It is a really nice and beautiful way to store and listen to your music and stay in the cloud. It works really good on the iPad with background playback even before iPhone OS 4.0 and there seems to be an iPhone app on the way. Try it out at http://bitspace.at.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Nothing to see here folks, move along. Show's over.

Buy 'em up, shut 'em down.

All that's left to do now is to pick over the corpse looking for reusable bits and bytes.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Oh so Apple's going to replace the free streaming with paid streaming? Big surprise!
  • Reply 26 of 33
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post

Oh so Apple's going to replace the free streaming with paid streaming? Big surprise!

Lala isn?t free (unless you count being able to stream a song once for free).
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Lala isn’t free (unless you count being able to stream a song once for free).

Lala offers free storage of your iTunes music library. I have mine set up so that when I add a song to my iTunes library, it also pushes a copy up to the cloud (lala.com). If lala already has that track in the cloud, it adds it's copy to my library... What it doesn't it uploads.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

Pandora incorporating Facebook sharing is not the same. And I don't want to hear about what folks i went to high school are listening to. I want to find new music, often from people I don't know, but appreciate their taste. I'm not sure that's part of Apple's plan which could be a hugely missed opportunity. I'm still experimenting with Last.fm and blipper.com to see if one of those has the same potential.

Have you tried Spotify? It is pretty much as you described. Quite an amazing application and Europeans go nuts over it, mainly because of the social aspect of it.

It worries me how much the labels like it, as nothing those bastards like will benefit mankind in the long run, but in the meantime it is worth checking out.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Have you tried Spotify? It is pretty much as you described. Quite an amazing application and Europeans go nuts over it, mainly because of the social aspect of it.

It worries me how much the labels like it, as nothing those bastards like will benefit mankind in the long run, but in the meantime it is worth checking out.

If Spotify becomes available in the U.S., and I believe it's coming, I'll definitely check it out. Assuming Apple doesn't give us a better option before then.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

People should be reminded that at the RIAA request, Apple has been tagging one´s iTunes purchased music with user identifiable information.

Why is that a problem?

I can't think of anything legal I would want to do with a downloaded track that is impaired by Apple putting a watermark in it that identifies me as the downloader.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

"Hey Opie, you know about that Apple Farm thingy down the road don't ya?"

"Well Gomer, yea, heard something about it. But they not growing apples, believe they raising 'servers' or something"

"Yep, what I heard too. Just not sure what that is, or how they're gonna use them."

"Yea, oh well, maybe just so much Lala yada yada"

"Shazzam"

• Reply 32 of 33
    I don't know if I can trust Apple after the way they treated the current Lala Users. For one thing my $9.00 iTunes credit in no way matches the 100+ songs I lost as a result of the shutdown of Lala. Another problem is that as a Linux user that credit is worthless since iTunes does not run on Linux. (Please don't mention wine I've had too many crashes from that piece of Junk)

Would anyone be interested in purchasing some iTunes Credits
  • Reply 33 of 33
    richardurichardu Posts: 1member
    http://www.psonar.com/ is another worth checking out.

It's also a cloud-based solution so you can upload the music you own so it is accessible everywhere, from any internet-connected device.

It offers unlimited storage and unlimited streaming for free.

You can also search and listen to clips of any other track uploaded to the cloud and buy that music if you like.

Psonar does more though - it also provides web-based iTunes-style management so that you can drag and drop tracks to any device, such as your iPhone, Android device or MP3 player - in fact anything that you can connect to a PC via USB. This means you can have your music on your device when that's best, but also in the cloud - so it's also great for backup:

http://blog.psonar.com/2010/02/26/la...ad-music-safe/

So - it's perfect if you love your old MP3 player, want to keep your music on an inexpensive memory stick or for when you don't have an internet connection and thus offers you the best of both worlds.