Hows your 2010 MBP's heat doing?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Plan on buying 17" i7, but my curiosity about how hot the macbook pro's get extends to i5 as well. So, 2010 MBP owner: How hot to the touch is it for you on your lap? Is it the same as last gen or its really bad or you notice nothing except typical warmth of a laptop?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

Plan on buying 17" i7, but my curiosity about how hot the macbook pro's get extends to i5 as well. So, 2010 MBP owner: How hot to the touch is it for you on your lap? Is it the same as last gen or its really bad or you notice nothing except typical warmth of a laptop?

Thanks

My i5 MBP 15" is about the same as my 07 white MacBook. In other words it's fine, just a little warm. I haven't tasked it too hard yet though. I'm going to be doing some heavy stuff and also lots of virtualization soon so we will see, I will report back. But so far, nice and cool really. Maybe cooler than my MacBook even. Now if only wireless reception was good...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    m3rc natem3rc nate Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

My i5 MBP 15" is about the same as my 07 white MacBook. In other words it's fine, just a little warm. I haven't tasked it too hard yet though. I'm going to be doing some heavy stuff and also lots of virtualization soon so we will see, I will report back. But so far, nice and cool really. Maybe cooler than my MacBook even. Now if only wireless reception was good...

Thanks Aquatic, thats good to hear. Yeah i would definitely love to hear more info once you have done some CPU intensive stuff.

Preferably to anyone else reading, hearing from a i7 owner would be perfect. From a bit of what iv read, the i5 and i7 technically shouldn't be too different in the heat department, but doesn't hurt to hear from someone that owns one.

Yeah what is the deal with the wireless reception thing? I think i read somewhere that it was reportedly not good, why? whats changed in the new MBP?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    My i7 has been running for 3 days in a row now, doing only very mild tasks and it's only warm to the touch, no heat issues whatsoever. Going to play some games soon and will try again then.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

My i7 has been running for 3 days in a row now, doing only very mild tasks and it's only warm to the touch, no heat issues whatsoever. Going to play some games soon and will try again then.

Great to hear, would love to hear some more of your thoughts once you have played some games. Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The fans haven't even come on in my i5 MBP. Not even for Flash!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

The fans haven't even come on in my i5 MBP. Not even for Flash!

Haha, well thats good i think. Just cause im assuming your saying its staying cool, but then again the issue with MBP's and their heat is partly cause of form factor, and partly cause apple has their fans turn on once the laptop is already too hot.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Been playing Fallout 3 today for a couple of hours in Bootcamp and the fans have come on pretty quickly, as was the case for the 2007 MBP too, after about half an hour the fans kind of settled to medium revs and the enclosure did get very warm, but not any warmer than the 2007 model. In fact I believe it's overall a bit cooler and the heat is spread more evenly. So heat doesn't seem to be an issue at least for GPU intensive tasks, CPU crunching must be observed further still.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Been playing Fallout 3 today for a couple of hours in Bootcamp and the fans have come on pretty quickly, as was the case for the 2007 MBP too, after about half an hour the fans kind of settled to medium revs and the enclosure did get very warm, but not any warmer than the 2007 model. In fact I believe it's overall a bit cooler and the heat is spread more evenly. So heat doesn't seem to be an issue at least for GPU intensive tasks, CPU crunching must be observed further still.

Fallout 3 is a heavy game, and Bootcamp Windows automatically turns on the Nvidia permanently (which im sure you know already), so its good to hear that not only did it not get warmer than the last generation, but maybe even a little less warm.

Just need to hear someone with i7 doing some stuff like photo-shop or a stress test or something CPU intensive and i'll be 100% set to order
  • Reply 9 of 10
    It's the 15" i7.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

It's the 15" i7.

Oh sorry, i saw before that you said its a i7, what i meant is you mentioned you were playing a GPU intensive game and it got hot but not crazy hot, not more (maybe even less) than the previous gen MBP. So i was saying that now hearing from someone doing a CPU intensive thing and hearing bout the heat would be great.