Apple announces iPad sales top 1 million in less than a month

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2014
Apple's new iPad reached one million sales last Friday, the day the iPad 3G launched, and just 28 days after the hardware was introduced on April 3.

"One million iPads in 28 days -- that's less than half of the 74 days it took to achieve this milestone with iPhone," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO, in a statement released Monday. "Demand continues to exceed supply and we're working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more customers."

The company revealed that iPad users have already downloaded over 12 million apps from the App Store and over 1.5 million e-books from the new iBookstore.

There are also more than 5,000 new applications created specifically for the iPad, in addition to more than 200,000 applications on the App Store written for the iPhone and iPod touch.

The normally tight-lipped company has given numerous updates on sales figures for the iPad in its first month of availability. The Wi-Fi-only model, released on April 3, sold more than 300,000 in its first day alone.

Just 5 days after the iPad launched, Apple revealed that more than 450,000 were sold, and users had downloaded more than 3.5 million applications for the device. In less than a week, the iPad sold more than a half-million in the U.S. alone. Sales have been so strong that Apple was forced to delay the international launch of the device until late May.

Apple officials have said that they were caught off guard by unexpectedly strong sales of the iPad. Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said during the company's quarterly earnings conference call that initial sales of the multi-touch device had "far exceeded" the company's expectations.

Apple did not provide a breakdown of Wi-Fi-only vs. 3G sales, but one analyst revealed on Sunday that a survey of 50 stores revealed most were sold out of both models. The poll found that the newly released iPad 3G was sold out at 49 of 50 surveyed retail stores by Sunday.

That led analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray to accurately predict that Apple sold more than a million iPads, and admit that his previous forecast of 1.3 million sales in the June quarter may be conservative. Munster has forecast that the Wi-Fi iPad will be the best-selling model, taking 60 percent of sales, with the 3G-capable hardware and its $130 premium carrying 40 percent of overall sales.

Apple's million milestone was reached solely with domestic sales of the hardware. Both the Wi-Fi and 3G models will launch later this month in the U.K., Canada, France, Germany, Australia, Italy, Japan, Span and Switzerland. Preorders for international markets will begin on Monday, May 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    2-3 million before fall. Easily.
  • Reply 2 of 102
    agl82agl82 Posts: 15member
    Quote:

• Reply 3 of 102
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Nice. I was guessing maybe a bit higher. Around 1.2 million but then Apple would have announced it right when it happened.

I wonder how the 3G model is doing? I sort of doubt they will separate those when giving numbers.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Nice. I was guessing maybe a bit higher. Around 1.2 million but then Apple would have announced it right when it happened.

I wonder how the 3G model is doing? I sort of doubt they will separate those when giving numbers.

I would find it even more interesting which size people are going for. I would think 32GB most, then 64GB and then 16GB. I would think they will dump the 16GB model quite quickly and then stay with just two sizes.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Love it, the more ipads get sold the more websites will use html5 and work on iPhone as well. Plus iPad is creating countless jobs here for people to recode major websites into html5. Win win for everyone.
  • Reply 6 of 102
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"One million iPads in 28 days -- that's less than half of the 74 days it took to achieve this milestone with iPhone," said Steve Jobs

What? An analyst got the numbers wrong - but just Sunday they said that it had to be at least 1.3 million sold!

Quick, sell while you can. Apple is doomed!
  • Reply 7 of 102
    psylence2kpsylence2k Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I would find it even more interesting which size people are going for. I would think 32GB most, then 64GB and then 16GB. I would think they will dump the 16GB model quite quickly and then stay with just two sizes.

I think you got it backwards, the cheapest model usually sells the most, isnt that the way it works with the macbook, ipods, and iphones? it even makes more sense for the ipad to sell that way.
  • Reply 8 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post

I think you got it backwards, the cheapest model usually sells the most, isnt that the way it works with the macbook, ipods, and iphones? it even makes more sense for the ipad to sell that way.

I don't think so. People know that they need some memory. The first iPhone started with 4GB and 8GB. The 4GB was dumped shortly after.
  • Reply 9 of 102
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

At my local store they indicated that the 32G was the best seller by far but that the 64G had done much better than they had guessed - in fact they were sold out well before my noon appointment to pick mine up. (I had wanted to change mine pre-order to a 64G from the 32G but they had run out much earlier. Serves me right for getting an appointment via the biz folx instead of standing in line.) Note: this is for the WiFi release not the + 3G release although I was told that the numbers for pre-orders broke down "about the same".

Just what I heard - I would like to hear from a much better source what the official breakdown is.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    joe in miamijoe in miami Posts: 158member
    Wishful thinking? \
  • Reply 11 of 102
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

I bought a 32GB but I have sort of thought people would either by the cheapest 16GB or go all the way to the 64GB. I really did not want to spend more than $499 but as usually happens, I was concerned that 16GB might just be a little light so I bit the bullet on the 32GB.

Of course, I am still running an original iPhone with 8GB ram.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I don't think so. People know that they need some memory. The first iPhone started with 4GB and 8GB. The 4GB was dumped shortly after.

Some people thought that the WiFi model should go away too, but given that half a million of those were sold, I'd suggest that suits people just fine.

I think the low sales of 4GB original iPhone was an early adopter phenomenon, the early adopters are willing to pay more anyways. Not only that, there are now three capacity levels sold with the iPhone, and the iPad's 16GB starting size is a far cry from 4GB. So far, app size hasn't been a big problem, one of the big concerns with capacity.

Even if not many people buy the base model, it's a starting point for an upsell, a pretty basic sales technique. You get people interested with the low price, then give them several options to step up from that. Given how strongly they're hawking the starting price, my guess is that's what they are trying to do.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    It is a worry for us non USA customers if supply is still not meeting demand.

Does not bode well for the release in the UK.

I would not be surprised if they delay the release again!
  • Reply 14 of 102
    dlcmhdlcmh Posts: 43member
    Apple Isn't Doomed?
  • Reply 15 of 102
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Yep. See?? It fails on so many levels! It lacks so much that consumers are going to stay away in droves! Droves I tell you!

It doesn't have [fill-in the feature]...

It doesn't do [fill-in the service]...

They are lying to you! The analysts and the pundits and especially Steve "RDF" Jobs (the Tech Satan) are lying to you! Wake up you drones of Cupertino! You are being sucked into the Vortex of Control! There is barbed wire on the walled garden! Freedom! And Flash! And...and...and...freedom!

APPLE IS DOOMED™

*This rant is brought to you as a service of the regularly scheduled contributors. Normally the usual group of nay-sayers would be filling this role, but they are depressed and in denial. So we who would normally be objective or positive contributors have taken it on ourselves to add this special rant in whenever Apple is horrendously successful at a release, to ease the burden of our fellow contributors who cannot handle that success. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread*

• Reply 16 of 102
    tumme-tottetumme-totte Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

UK!?!?! What about Sweden? We haven't event been mentioned in the first group of European countries! When will we have this magical thing?
  • Reply 17 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Some people thought that the WiFi model should go away too, but given that half a million of those were sold, I'd suggest that suits people just fine.

I think the low sales of 4GB original iPhone was an early adopter phenomenon, the early adopters are willing to pay more anyways. Not only that, there are now three capacity levels sold with the iPhone, and the iPad's 16GB starting size is a far cry from 4GB. So far, app size hasn't been a big problem, one of the big concerns with capacity.

Even if not many people buy the base model, it's a starting point for an upsell, a pretty basic sales technique. You get people interested with the low price, then give them several options to step up from that. Given how strongly they're hawking the starting price, my guess is that's what they are trying to do.

I completely agree on the sales strategy. But as much more a media device when compared to the iPhone and even iTouch, people will store much more movies, pictures, etc. on the iPad than on the iPhone/iTouch. That's when they start thinking about the memory. As it appears, the 16GB is not the most appealing to customers - even if it is base on the sales strategy.

I definitely do think there is a market for both WiFi and WiFi+3G. Simply because you don't pocket you iPad as easily as you iPhone - and there is the extra charge.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    tumme-tottetumme-totte Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Yep. See?? It fails on so many levels! It lacks so much that consumers are going to stay away in droves! Droves I tell you!

It doesn't have [fill-in the feature]...

It doesn't do [fill-in the service]...

They are lying to you! The analysts and the pundits and especially Steve "RDF" Jobs (the Tech Satan) are lying to you! Wake up you drones of Cupertino! You are being sucked into the Vortex of Control! There is barbed wire on the walled garden! Freedom! And Flash! And...and...and...freedom!

APPLE IS DOOMED?

*This rant is brought to you as a service of the regularly scheduled contributors. Normally the usual group of nay-sayers would be filling this role, but they are depressed and in denial. So we who would normally be objective or positive contributors have taken it on ourselves to add this special rant in whenever Apple is horrendously successful at a release, to ease the burden of our fellow contributors who cannot handle that success. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread*

• Reply 19 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Hey, here's an idea ... if you can get half of the UK's population to carry guns, believe the earth was made 6,000 years ago and believe in UFOs you could probably become the 51st State and get supplies along with the rest of the US... just kidding
  • Reply 20 of 102
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Well from what I found this weekend, the 3G model is like rocking horse sh**! Drove round multiple stores here in the Bay Area and couldn't find any (that said, the WiFi only models were all sold out too).

Sounds like the supply situation is not good at the moment though. Each Best Buy store I went in said they got 5 3G units last Friday and they all sold immediately. None of them knew when they would be getting more.