Apple announces iPad sales top 1 million in less than a month

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Yep. See?? It fails on so many levels! It lacks so much that consumers are going to stay away in droves! Droves I tell you!

It doesn't have [fill-in the feature]...

It doesn't do [fill-in the service]...

They are lying to you! The analysts and the pundits and especially Steve "RDF" Jobs (the Tech Satan) are lying to you! Wake up you drones of Cupertino! You are being sucked into the Vortex of Control! There is barbed wire on the walled garden! Freedom! And Flash! And...and...and...freedom!

APPLE IS DOOMED?

*This rant is brought to you as a service of the regularly scheduled contributors. Normally the usual group of nay-sayers would be filling this role, but they are depressed and in denial. So we who would normally be objective or positive contributors have taken it on ourselves to add this special rant in whenever Apple is horrendously successful at a release, to ease the burden of our fellow contributors who cannot handle that success. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread*

You're getting really good at this!
  • Reply 22 of 102
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I bought a 32GB but I have sort of thought people would either by the cheapest 16GB or go all the way to the 64GB. I really did not want to spend more than $499 but as usually happens, I was concerned that 16GB might just be a little light so I bit the bullet on the 32GB.

Of course, I am still running an original iPhone with 8GB ram.

Interesting - I have my original 8GB 1st gen iPhone as well. Was going to upgrade, but the darn thing just kept working. And working. I tried to kill it! I flip up in the air and let it crash on tables and counters. I demonstrate the tempered optical glass screen with my keys 100's of times without a scratch. It.just.won't.die!

So I figure I'll wait until the new one comes out in a couple of weeks, and maybe I''ll upgrade then.

My friends have gotten all sizes of the iPad though, no one size seems to be prevalent yet.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    One million without 3G or international sales????? By Christmas time I think we will be sitting at around 5-6 million sold!
  • Reply 24 of 102
    crawdad62crawdad62 Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I bought a 32GB but I have sort of thought people would either by the cheapest 16GB or go all the way to the 64GB. I really did not want to spend more than $499 but as usually happens, I was concerned that 16GB might just be a little light so I bit the bullet on the 32GB.

Of course, I am still running an original iPhone with 8GB ram.

That's what I plan on... getting the 32GB model. At first I was going with the 16 since my 16GB iPhone is only half full but then I saw that the "Elements" app/book is huge. Something over a GB. Not that I'll actually buy it but I figure there's probably going to be other things that will take advantage of the increased horsepower of the iPad and be bigger than most of the iPhone apps.

I'm still torn over the 3G though. We vacation a couple of times a year and that's about the only time I'll need 3G coverage (which I'll have with my phone) and the rest of the time I'll be using the iPad at home and work which have WiFi.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    oodlumoodlum Posts: 40member
    I couldn't wait any longer. It's due here at the end of the month but who knows if it will get put back again. I just ebayed a Wifi + 3G. Fingers crossed the guy bought enough before it sold out.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    tumme-tottetumme-totte Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I definitely do think there is a market for both WiFi and WiFi+3G. Simply because you don't pocket you iPad as easily as you iPhone - and there is the extra charge.

When I get my hands on a Wifi + 3G my 64 GB Wifi only will be in the mercy of our kids 2 and 5,5 years old! They love it and me and my wife think it's great! Much better than mobile DVD, DVD in cars, better than that they block our TV and we may not even bye them their own TV sets once the time comes.

• Reply 27 of 102
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You're getting really good at this!

It is a bit like a regular Olympic athlete competing at high school level though. This is purely primitive brain stem material. Same class of material as caveman grunts and scratching private parts.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's a good start, congrats Apple. Given how lukewarm tablet laptops have been received in the past it was a risky move bringing out the iPad, but it may just be working.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I completely agree on the sales strategy. But as much more a media device when compared to the iPhone and even iTouch, people will store much more movies, pictures, etc. on the iPad than on the iPhone/iTouch.

I disagree. I think the iPad will mostly be used in the home (that's where I mostly use mine)... and as such... local storage is barely needed. I can stream all my media to the iPad using Air Video or Stream To Me... or control my iTunes on my 1GB desktop hard drive using Apple's Remote app. It's not like an iPod where you carry it everywhere and want to have your entire iTunes library with you. The iPad, I think, will mostly live at home. I bet the majority of folks are using the iPad for web and email at home... on the couch... on the nightstand. Or maybe for client meetings at the local coffee shop (view a website, send a quick email, show off your portfolio...) or recipes in the kitchen. Or maybe to take on the plane and watch a movie or two that you just rented off iTunes. Things like that. None of which require much storage space. The few times you leave the house with it, you take the few things you need and go. That's how I'm using my 16GB iPad so far and space hasn't been an issue at all. I thought about buying the 32 or even the 64... but I couldn't justify sending my purchase price into the range of a low end MacBook for something that's not nearly as full featured. $499 was the sweet spot for me that clinched my decision to give the iPad a try. And I'm glad I did. I love this thing.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Wishful thinking? :

I might buy one at $199. It would be frustrating to not have the full 'web, and movies are smaller than optimum, but for other stuff it works OK.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    The danger of projections is that you can end up with any number you want. It all depends on the assumptions and the validity of the sampling.

Chitika is off by almost 800,000

http://labs.chitika.com/ipad/

as of early Monday, 3 May 2010. In this case, maybe the origin of the sample not truly representative of IPad buyers.

CGC
  • Reply 32 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I might buy one at $199. It would be frustrating to not have the full 'web, and movies are smaller than optimum, but for other stuff it works OK.

Actually... I very rarely come across a site where video doesn't work on my iPad. Most mainstream sites now have iPad-friendly video. At least... all the ones I've visited. 9 times out of 10 it's a non-issue.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Don't bother! Buy the 32 GB Zune for the same price. You will be much happier.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I disagree. I think the iPad will mostly be used in the home (that's where I mostly use mine)... and as such... local storage is barely needed. I stream all of my movies and music to my iPad using Air Video or Stream To Me... or control my iTunes on my 1GB desktop hard drive using Apple's Remote app. It's not like an iPod where you carry it everywhere and want to have your entire iTunes library with you. The iPad, I think, will mostly live at home. I bet the majority of folks are using the iPad for web and email at home... on the couch... on the nightstand. Or maybe for client meetings at the local coffee shop or recipes in the kitchen. Or maybe to take on the plane and watch a movie or two that you just rented off iTunes. Things like that. None of which require much storage space. The few times you leave the house with it, you take the few things you need and go. That's how I'm using my 16GB iPad and so far... and space hasn't been an issue at all. I just could not justify sending my purchase price into the range of a low end MacBook for something that is not nearly as full featured.

I think a lot of people like myself are trying to replace older laptops like my 2007 MacBook with an iPad. I'd like to put it in my shoulder bag and take it to the cafe. I think if your needs are anything BUT creating media projects i.e. Logic, Final Cut and graphic design, the switch from latop to iPad can easily be made. One day there will be an iPhone OS for all those pro multimedia applications and I can't wait for that day.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

When I get my hands on a Wifi + 3G my 64 GB Wifi only will be in the mercy of our kids 2 and 5,5 years old! They love it and me and my wife think it's great! Much better than mobile DVD, DVD in cars, better than that they block our TV and we may not even bye them their own TV sets once the time comes.

Just curious. Can you have more than one of the iPad, and have just one account for the iTunes, iBooks, etc. the share the Apps and the eBook content?

This will save me a bundle.

CGC
  • Reply 36 of 102
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

At my local store they indicated that the 32G was the best seller by far but that the 64G had done much better than they had guessed - in fact they were sold out well before my noon appointment to pick mine up. (I had wanted to change mine pre-order to a 64G from the 32G but they had run out much earlier. Serves me right for getting an appointment via the biz folx instead of standing in line.) Note: this is for the WiFi release not the + 3G release although I was told that the numbers for pre-orders broke down "about the same".

I got the 64 GB 3G and am glad I did. I have 30 GB of music and 15 GB of video. Add in some apps, books (which fortunately don't take much space) and 64 GB is starting to get a little crowded. I'm really glad I didn't go for the base model.

[QUOTE=Damn_Its_Hot;1625201]What? An analyst got the numbers wrong - but just Sunday they said that it had to be at least 1.3 million sold!/QUOTE]

I'm actually a little disappointed with this number. We know that 500,000 WiFi models were sold in the first week. Estimates are that 3G sold 300 K on the first day. That means only 200,000 WiFi models from April 11 to April 30? I expected more, although it's not clear that there were enough supplies to sell more even if the demand was there.

Quote:

Dream on. I'd buy a new Ferrari for $10,000, too. That doesn't mean it's going to happen. Demand is good at list price, so why in the world would they cut the price by 60% or more? Sheesh.
  • Reply 37 of 102
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    The 16GB is enough for a lot of use-cases. I pictured mine being primarily for around the office as a paper substitute. 16GB would have been plenty, and the $499 price is right where it needs to be for that. Unfortunately, the iPad fails miserably in that arena as iWork is a joke and there aren't any practical tools to manage a large number of files on the iPad. (About 1,000 documents sorted in 100 projects is my personal need-- nothing that grand!)

Likewise, for viewing web pages, the storage goes to waste.

Most of the newspaper applications are a complete disappointment; they should have plugged into a universal reader rather than everybody doing it their own way. They are also way too focused on high-impression advertising, which on an LCD screen is a lot different than in print. Uninstalled the NY Times app for that reason, and a few more are going to follow.

Will be interesting to see how Netflix does in the long term, but I really just want to be able to put content from my DVR onto the iPad painlessly.

(Returning my WiFi model today to get a 3G. The WiFi problems (prompting for password every time a new access point comes in) make that version almost useless for me.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

I think a lot of people like myself are trying to replace older laptops like my 2007 MacBook with an iPad. I'd like to put it in my shoulder bag and take it to the cafe. I think if your needs are anything BUT creating media projects i.e. Logic, Final Cut and graphic design, the switch from latop to iPad can easily be made. One day there will be an iPhone OS for all those pro multimedia applications and I can't wait for that day.

Right... but I actually don't have a laptop (just a useless 9 year old iBook G3 that was only used for web and email before the iPad... and the odd client meeting when we absolutely HAD to have a computer for the meeting). I have a 27" iMac paired with a 27" external monitor for serious media creation and the iPad is used for casual use... web/email on the couch... client meetings at the local cafe... etc. So for me at least... I don't really need any storage space on the iPad. It's used at home 90% of the time. And even outside the home... it would only be used for meetings and travel. So I don't need a whole library of movies, photos and video for that. For travel, I just take what I need for the trip (some tunes and a movie or two) plus all my apps of course and maybe an eBook or two... but they take no space.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    igrumbleigrumble Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

What? An analyst got the numbers wrong - but just Sunday they said that it had to be at least 1.3 million sold!

No, he said the total for the quarter would be 1.3M, he actually estimated the sales to end-of-Friday as over a million. I think the only reason he didn't adjust his 1.3M figure is in case his guess for the sales to date was wrong. He may have guessed, but he guessed right.

I think it's totally reasonable to presume that the sum of the international launches will be similar to the US launch (which would imply something in the 2-3M range for the quarter, and would neatly explain the launch, wait 3 weeks, launch, wait 3 weeks, launch pattern).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

It is a worry for us non USA customers if supply is still not meeting demand.

Does not bode well for the release in the UK.

I would not be surprised if they delay the release again!

No, I'm sure it'll be okay. Manufacturing capacity tends to increase, so they should be producing iPads at a higher rate in a few weeks' time, and initial projected sales in the international launch countries are probably not significantly higher than US sales - so it is extremely likely to launch on time, and with somewhat less severe shortages than the US launch. The only reason Apple will have had for pushing the international launch was that they were doing another launch in the US (ie, expecting another surge in sales); the ongoing sales should be much more stable and easier to satisfy.

So basically I expect it'll be like the iPhone 3G launch was.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

UK!?!?! What about Sweden? We haven't event been mentioned in the first group of European countries! When will we have this magical thing?

It's a good question. Why don't you pop down to Germany and buy one there? Apple are probably going through the markets in size order. I think the same happened with one of the iPhone launches? There's probably not any kind of a localisation hold-up, since it is the iPhone OS and there has been a reasonable amount of time, but Apple might want to be sure how many units it can expect to sell before it starts trying expensive product launches in lots of countries at once. If the European launch countries all have predictable demand, I suppose maybe there could be a second international launch covering more countries before the end of the year, but if not, I doubt it'll reach Sweden before March. Keep in mind that Apple might have a big job ramping up production for xmas as it is.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Just curious. Can you have more than one of the iPad, and have just one account for the iTunes, iBooks, etc. the share the Apps and the eBook content?

This will save me a bundle.

CGC

Yes, you can.