Hackers release new 'jailbreak' for Apple's iPhone 3GS, iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new "jailbreak" for the iPhone 3GS and iPad was released this weekend by hackers, and allows users to run third-party software with features not authorized by Apple, including multitasking.

Dubbed "Spirit," the software for Windows and Mac OS X allows users to jailbreak their iPhone OS device, including firmware 3.1.2, 3.1.3, and the iPad-exclusive 3.2. The practice of jailbreaking allows users to run code not approved by Apple on their mobile device.

The hack was released by a coder who goes by the handle "comex," and is a member of the Dev Team group. They, along with George "Geohot" Hotz, are the most high-profile hackers of the iPhone OS.

The Spirit jailbreak was first demonstrated on the iPad in early April. The release was delayed until after the iPad 3G went on sale last Friday to ensure it would work with the new hardware.

The jailbreak installs Cydia, an unauthorized digital storefront that is the hackers' equivalent of Apple's own App Store. It includes unauthorized software such as "Backgrounder," which allows users to run more than one application at once. Early reports indicate that Backgrounder works on the iPad, though most other Cydia software created for the iPhone must be updated to run on the larger 9.7-inch screen.

Previously, many iPhone 3GS users could only use a "tethered" jailbreak released by Hotz. This method meant users of the latest iPod touch, and any iPhone 3GS released in October 2009 or later, could not perform a hardware reset of the phone without connecting it via USB cable to a computer. The Spirit jailbreak is not tethered.

Last year, Apple updated the BootROM for the iPhone 3GS to iBoot-359.32 in a mid-cycle hardware release in October -- the first time ever that the handset maker modified its hardware in the middle of a product line, without a new model released. That update has slowed hackers in their ongoing game of cat and mouse with Apple.

Apple and the jailbreaking community have gone back and forth for some time, as the Cupertino, Calif., company has looked to close avenues used by hackers. One of Apple's main concerns about jailbreaking is piracy, as the procedure can allow users to steal software from the App Store, in addition to running unauthorized third-party applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    You know - if they (Apple and AT&T) would simply allow tethering (or maybe better - actually support tethering, without exorbitant charges) that alone might eliminate the desire (or need) by many to even want to jailbreak. I suppose the option to buy an unlocked phone would be another big factor. and they ought to be able to come up with some way to allow you to load your own apps without compromising the app store. maybe by adding some sort of digital signature to the app installer that is linked to your authorization on the app store - or maybe an isolated space on the device that allowed apps not downloaded from the app store to run without the ability to interfere with app store apps. Its kinda like the whole downloading of music - people obviously want to do it -so instead of making it difficult or expensive or even illegal - get creative and find a way to support it that is easy, inexpensive, and legal, and the sit back and collect the $.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    At first glance I thought the headline was going to say, "Hackers release new jail sentence, re-locks Apple's 3G iPad to AT&T"
  • Reply 3 of 48
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Spirit is here and it works well, except for your iPhone photos.... they disappear.

make sure you backup first.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    FYI, from an experienced Jailbreaker, don't bother doing your iPad with this just yet. There is absolutely nothing on Cydia that is fully compatible yet, and it's just a myriad of crashes and bugs and inevitable restore right now.

Give it some time..

iPhone wise, looks to be the first 3.1.3 JB and the first for newer 3GS devices. Again, take caution. It's a little early and undoubtedly buggy.

(Personally I'm sticking with 3.1.2 on my 3GS until public 4.0 is jailbroken this summer)
  • Reply 5 of 48
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

FYI, from an experienced Jailbreaker, don't bother doing your iPad with this just yet. There is absolutely nothing on Cydia that is fully compatible yet, and it's just a myriad of crashes and bugs and inevitable restore right now.

Give it some time..

iPhone wise, looks to be the first 3.1.3 JB and the first for newer 3GS devices. Again, take caution. It's a little early and undoubtedly buggy.

(Personally I'm sticking with 3.1.2 on my 3GS until public 4.0 is jailbroken this summer)

Why bother at all - I have seen nothing on Cydia but Apps that would tend to make you system less stable and certainly not anything that I can't do without? I know people like to customize their phones with diff icons and skins, but what a hassle and risk to do that.

Other than the obvious (being able to run a shell and terminal would be cool - ssh, file system, etc...) what is the draw? I do understand that there is a desire to choose carriers from some but I get the feeling that it is mostly other add-ons. Can someone inform this developer?
  • Reply 6 of 48
    technohermittechnohermit Posts: 564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Why bother at all - I have seen nothing on Cydia but Apps that would tend to make you system less stable and certainly not anything that I can't do without? I know people like to customize their phones with diff icons and skins, but what a hassle and risk to do that.

Other than the obvious (being able to run a shell and terminal would be cool - ssh, file system, etc...) what is the draw? I do understand that there is a desire to choose carriers from some but I get the feeling that it is mostly other add-ons. Can someone inform this developer?

1) Tethering (technically stealing if you're on AT&T.)

2) SBSettings is great.

3) Backgrounder, so you can run Pandora and still check Mail and Stocks without stopping the music.

That's about it.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

I know everyone here states the "unlocked phone" excuse, but I have never heard that from any of my friends or fellow students who have jailbroken. It also does not explain anything for iPod Touch users. The only two reasons I have personally heard are themes and backgrounds, and the ability to "try" an app before they buy it. The first reason is removed with 4.0, and the latter I think is the "legal" version of "I don't want to pay" that makes them feel better. I could be wrong, but after telling jailbreakers with this excuse about the 60-day refund period, they always say that they'll go back if that's the case, but never do. The only conclusion I can make is that people want to pirate apps.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Another reason to jailbreak - access to emulators such as SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

You know - if they (Apple and AT&T) would simply allow tethering (or maybe better - actually support tethering, without exorbitant charges) that alone might eliminate the desire (or need) by many to even want to jailbreak. I suppose the option to buy an unlocked phone would be another big factor. and they ought to be able to come up with some way to allow you to load your own apps without compromising the app store. maybe by adding some sort of digital signature to the app installer that is linked to your authorization on the app store - or maybe an isolated space on the device that allowed apps not downloaded from the app store to run without the ability to interfere with app store apps. Its kinda like the whole downloading of music - people obviously want to do it -so instead of making it difficult or expensive or even illegal - get creative and find a way to support it that is easy, inexpensive, and legal, and the sit back and collect the $.

If AT&T even offered tethering I don't think it would stop people from jailbreaking to use it and I can't blame them. You pay for an unlimited data plan and tethering is extremely expensive in the US. I would hope others don't abuse it though.

Unlocking has become less of an issue because most places now (except the US) have the iPhone available to multiple carriers.

To those who claim that it's just way to pirate apps, most of the people who use cracked apps are in China and Russia (surpise!) so I don't think it can be called a real legitimate cause of concern.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    exscapeexscape Posts: 27member
    Works great on my iPod Touch 3G (3.1.3 from the factory). Yay!

So much fun. Scrobbling from the iPod, SSH access, SBSettings is awesome for toggling WiFi etc, play/pause/skip tracks with the volume buttons... That's what I did the in the first hour or so.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I know everyone here states the "unlocked phone" excuse, but I have never heard that from any of my friends or fellow students who have jailbroken. It also does not explain anything for iPod Touch users. The only two reasons I have personally heard are themes and backgrounds, and the ability to "try" an app before they buy it. The first reason is removed with 4.0, and the latter I think is the "legal" version of "I don't want to pay" that makes them feel better. I could be wrong, but after telling jailbreakers with this excuse about the 60-day refund period, they always say that they'll go back if that's the case, but never do. The only conclusion I can make is that people want to pirate apps.

Good to see Apple has someone convinced. I know many who jailbreak and they do not pirate squat. tethering is the main reason, followed by customization and just a boatload of fun, but useless apps you will never get on the app store. What refund period are you talking about? Oh yeah, that painfully long, useless process to get a few dollars back. That's not a refund option, that is a "shut up" option.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

I bought my first iphone used on Ebay when the 3g was just coming out. I did not want or need data at the time so I jailbroke it and used my original simcard. Eventually Att caught up to me and forced me to buy a data plan. I kept it jailbroken however because of a glitch between Att and Apple I would get stuck in this stupid loop on itunes and it would not activate and neither Apple nor Att was able to help.

I have never stolen an app, but I could see where theft of apps could be a problem. Personal experience has taught me that some people will steal anything even if for no other reason then because they can.

I will probably jailbrake my 3gs so on the occasions I get sent to Atlanta I can tether my macbook.

The hotel wifi sucks and is rarely faster then a dial up connection and they charge $5 a night.

I forgot to add that it would be nice when in Europe to be able to drop in a pre paid sim card (much cheaper the Att international rate).
  • Reply 13 of 48
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

You know - if they (Apple and AT&T) would simply allow tethering (or maybe better - actually support tethering, without exorbitant charges) that alone might eliminate the desire (or need) by many to even want to jailbreak.

Unlikely. Apple already has the iPhone OS supporting tethering, just ask any other carrier around the world, even AT&T in other countries! Here, though, there isn't much to force them to do anything to lower the monthly cost of the iPhone until someone else sells it or there is a threat of someone else selling it. Besides, I have a feeling that they would rather not allow tethering from IPhones, because most likely people would actually use it, unlike tethering in Blackberries and such
  • Reply 14 of 48
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    I agree with the earlier comment that it's about the ability to drop in the pre-paid SIM you want in your phone. Even in countries which have multiple carriers to choose from there's still a bunch of locked devices issued by them, and it's a drag if you travel to other places.

The thing is the locked device is unnecessary really because most buyers have a contractual lock to a carrier anyhow. If it was one or the other perhaps it makes sense but at the moment carriers want the financial lock and the technical lock. I'm not so sure that they couldn't largely achieve their financial goals with a contract alone.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Yeah, having a real filesystem would be nice along with a browser that had a save as button.

I spent 10 minutes filling out an online voter registration form on my iPhone only to discover at the end that the server auto generates a pdf which you are supposed to save, print, sign and mail. Of course it would have been nice to be able to email it to myself to print later but not possible on an iPhone. Total waste of time. It is times like this that I think about jailbreaking although in this case it probably wouldn't have helped.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:

As someone else said, jailbreaking is done to:

1. Unlock the phone to use with different carriers

2. Get at the phone's filesystem

3. Tether to share phone's Internet connection with a desktop

4. Run third party apps shunned by Apple's draconian approval process

5. Run emulators

The main reason I would even consider jailbreaking my iPad is for the SNES/Genesis emulators. They work on the iPhone but the screen size is really prohibitive.

I had to jailbreak my 2G iPhone because AT&T isn't usable in my area. T-Mobile provides a much better service.

Several of these things could be addressed if Apple was truly interested in addressing user needs.

And btw, I hate Cydia with a passion. Loading, loading, loading. Rock is a 10x better store interface app.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I know everyone here states the "unlocked phone" excuse, but I have never heard that from any of my friends or fellow students who have jailbroken.

Then you're hanging around the non-tecchie crowd. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.)

Quote:

The only conclusion I can make is that people want to pirate apps.

Bzzzt, try again. My iPhone's been jailbroken most of the 2 years I've had it and I've not a single pirated app. For $0.99, why the hell bother pirating?!? I'm jailbroken solely to tether. I travel a lot and it's not always viable to get internet access where I go. Tethering saves me.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I will probably jailbrake(sic) my 3gs so on the occasions I get sent to Atlanta I can tether my macbook.

The hotel wifi sucks and is rarely faster then a dial up connection and they charge $5 a night.

Only $5/night? I've seen $15/night on multiple occasions, and that's my main incentive to keep mine jailbroken.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    gocanuckgocanuck Posts: 2member
    Does this work for the 8GB iPod Touch 2nd/3rd generation MC model?
  • Reply 20 of 48
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Then you're hanging around the non-tecchie crowd. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.)

Bzzzt, try again. My iPhone's been jailbroken most of the 2 years I've had it and I've not a single pirated app. For $0.99, why the hell bother pirating?!? I'm jailbroken solely to tether. I travel a lot and it's not always viable to get internet access where I go. Tethering saves me.

First, you're right, most of those jailbroken are non-techies. The techies I know don't jailbreak (where I am). Secondly, I can appreciate the fact that many people don't pirate, but the people I have seen jailbroken readily admit to pirating (although sometimes using nice-sounding ways of saying it). Many may not, but I think the majority are, as represented by major games checking the devices they are installed on and finding 95% pirated on jailbroken devices. Again, ymmv, but this has been my experience and the info from a few good game studios.