2010 MacBook Pro: terrible WiFi reception?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My 2010 15" MBP has constant Wifi dropouts, sometimes minutes at a time. Sometimes I have to reconnect. Yet it gets 4 bars. My MacBook never had these problems. It's generally slower, too. It's now useless for online video like Hulu. Anyone else seeing this? I wonder whether it's hardware (e.g. they moved the antenna, and/or because of the metal case) or software/drivers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

My 2010 15" MBP has constant Wifi dropouts, sometimes minutes at a time. Sometimes I have to reconnect. Yet it gets 4 bars. My MacBook never had these problems. It's generally slower, too. It's now useless for online video like Hulu. Anyone else seeing this? I wonder whether it's hardware (e.g. they moved the antenna, and/or because of the metal case) or software/drivers?

No problems here with WifI so far. Had to reinstall a fresh OS as a first thing today though, migration assistant solidly refused to work past a certain point over FW800. Ended up doing it with Ethernet after wiping the HD clean.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

No problems here with WifI so far. Had to reinstall a fresh OS as a first thing today though, migration assistant solidly refused to work past a certain point over FW800. Ended up doing it with Ethernet after wiping the HD clean.

Gnews can you watch streaming video? Mine is actually extremely slow. 30-100k/s or something. Hulu and other videos frequently mess up or stutter. I'm going to wait to see if 10.6.4 or another update fixes it. If not, I'm exchanging for a white MacBook for what I expect will be no restocking fee since it's defective.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Yeah, no problem at all, internet is maxing out at around 500KB/sec here. If you like I can also test video from an old 2007 MBP via Videolan. Maybe your antenna is not properly connected? I'd take it to the genius bar first.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I have had a lot of wifi drop outs on my 13" MBP, even within about 10 feet of the router. It seems as if the wifi module on the 2010 MBPs has some problems right now.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    clark80clark80 Posts: 28member
    My 13" MBP is getting full bars and working faster than I've ever seen before. My Windows laptop always had dropouts. Selling it next weeked
  • Reply 6 of 17
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Aquatic: Sounds like the antenna connection is flaky. Apple store.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    m3rc natem3rc nate Posts: 97member
    So is the overall consensious that apple did a bad enough job with the Wifi that multiple people are having to bring in their 2010 MBP's, but not such a bad job that EVERYBODY has to bring in their 2010 MBP's?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Well I have 2 problems. As many do. It also drops connections a lot. Like..even if the signal is so-so, why would it keep losing the connection? It does this on many different types of WiFi networks. I've never seen this on a Mac before, but then again I have been on a MacBook, before that a PB G4 12" which had good WiFi and before than an iBook which was good too. I think the consensus is WiFi sucks on MacBook Pros which, well, kinda sucks. For their price that is not ok.

In fact, it just dropped on me just now when I went to edit. I was going to say 1337 I'm going to Charleston in a week so I'll drop in to their store. Anyhow I noticed it just dropped when I clicked edit for 10 secs. The little Airport in 10.6 thing with the moving bars animated for 10 secs. It's just so annoying. It wouldn't be a deal-killer back in the day, but it really kills streaming video and downloads, and that's a big part of my Net use now. My thing is...maybe it's not just the metal case? can it be solved by firmware? But if so why hasn't it been solved? Anyway I hope so. Otherwise this unit is sweet. I'm even starting to like the weird track pad.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Sorry to say, but my experience with both the Aluminium MBP and the new unibody MBP have been excellent using WiFi. Certainly not any worse than the white iBooks back in the old days or the non-unibody MacBooks.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

Sorry to say, but my experience with both the Aluminium MBP and the new unibody MBP have been excellent using WiFi. Certainly not any worse than the white iBooks back in the old days or the non-unibody MacBooks.

My MacBook Pro is jealous of your MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I got the 15 inch macbook pro I5 a week ago and just noticed that after about 1 to 1.5 hrs my macbook will lose it's connection to my linksys router. It still shows full bars in the airport areas, but I can't get online. Reconnecting to the router fixes it, and turn the router on and off fixes it too. I have several other laptops and iphones that connect to the same router with no problem whatsoever and never drop the connection. I wonder if this is something that can be fixed with software.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therakker View Post

I got the 15 inch macbook pro I5 a week ago and just noticed that after about 1 to 1.5 hrs my macbook will lose it's connection to my linksys router. It still shows full bars in the airport areas, but I can't get online. Reconnecting to the router fixes it, and turn the router on and off fixes it too. I have several other laptops and iphones that connect to the same router with no problem whatsoever and never drop the connection. I wonder if this is something that can be fixed with software.

You'd hope so but MBPs have had this dropping issue for years. I had it big time this morning. I'll see how the replacement unit functions and report back.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    therakkertherakker Posts: 15member
    I hoped they would fix it by now if they knew about it for this long. Where are you guys buying your laptops that you can return? I hope you're not paying restocking fees.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    evokenevoken Posts: 56member
    MacBook Pro i5 here...no problems with WiFi.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Took macbook pro to barnes and noble and used their wifi for a few hrs. no problems, no disconnects. Can it be something with my linksys router not being compatible? Never had any problems with any windows laptop, playstation, iphone etc
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Sure can, try changing your settings on the linksys a little, for example dumb it down to 802.11g, set a fixed channel or something like that.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    sudzsudz Posts: 10member
    Have no wifi problems at all with my new Macbook Pro 15" model, connects everytime and I usually just leave the thing running and never have to reconnect.