Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.6.4 Update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

Well not too happy about 10.6.3 screwing up CS3, hope they fix this in 10.6.4 sooner than later!

Adobe CS3 applications crash at launch on Mac OS 10.6.3

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/834/cpsid_83499.html

Well, this answers my question. I always believed that my problem with 10.6.3 had something to do with Adobe. This answers it.

My opinion... this has more to do with Adobe fixing their crap than Apple having to fix the OS.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stans View Post

I just want my Epson RX680 printer to work. It worked fine until the security update in Feb and now it won't print or scan.

Does Epson have new drivers?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, this answers my question. I always believed that my problem with 10.6.3 had something to do with Adobe. This answers it.

My opinion... this has more to do with Adobe fixing their crap than Apple having to fix the OS.

Well the whole Flash thing between Adobe and Apple isn't helping matters either. Until it's fixed I'm not upgrade to CS5 out of principle.

Anyway I'm still running Leopard on my early 2009 Mac Pro with CS3, just haven't got around to updating it yet - it pays the bills, that what matters in the end.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Snow Leopard is the new Microsoft Vista or Me it would seem.

It's still not reliable or ready for anyone doing production work outside of baby apps.

Still rated as 'Do NOT upgrade'.

I've had to downgrade some clients new Mac's to Leopard because of the graphic driver problems that still persist... and some 3rd party software problems.

The graphic drivers they promised in the last patch were... anyone's guess

This transition is the worst since OS9 to OSX.

Common Apple... give some love back to your desktop platform. \
  • Reply 25 of 28
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Snow Leopard is the new Microsoft Vista or Me it would seem.

It's still not reliable or ready for anyone doing production work outside of baby apps.

Still rated as 'Do NOT upgrade'.

I've had to downgrade some clients new Mac's to Leopard because of the graphic driver problems that still persist... and some 3rd party software problems.

The graphic drivers they promised in the last patch were... anyone's guess

This transition is the worst since OS9 to OSX.

Common Apple... give some love back to your desktop platform. \

As bad as ME? NOTHING can be that bad. While Vista was terrible, ME set the standards of how awful an operating system can be.

Is Snow Leopard really that bad? I'm still using 10.5 on my MBP, waiting for Apple to update their box set with the newest iLife and iWork. When SL came out I hesitated on upgrading because my system was stable and I was doing both school and work on my laptop. As a long-time Windows user I learned if it ain't broke don't fix it, especially when you are in a continuous crunch-time scenario.

I remember the issues people had with 10.5 and I waited almost a year before upgrading. I'd like to upgrade to 10.6 soon, is the consensus that it is not worth it? Freeing up 6GB of hard drive space and supposedly making the system faster sure is tempting.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Background

----------

I have a four year old IMac with 2 GB of ram.

Snow Leopard is still very unstable.

Each of the fix releases ( i am using the latest) has reduced the problems but some nasties still persist.

Worst for me (and there are many posts on this) is the freezing of the mouse so that everything continues but you cant do anything with the mouse or keyboard until you re boot.

This happens approx once or twice a week.

It results in changes to Sound settings and sometimes backup disk issues.

When this happens I am often only running Safari so please dont tell me its Adobe or Canon

Was it worth the money ?

-------------------

Charging for a "No functionality" release was pushing it.

I bought the family pack but so far have only installed on one machine.

(the others continued to run with no problems)

Initially the system became very slow so I added memory and its now back to the speed of

regular Leopard but certainly no improvement..

Any thoughts ?

------------

Clean installs, fixing disk permissions and problems, PRam resets and clean boots have all been tried.

Anyone got any other ideas or is it just that Snow Leopard will never work cleanly on an older machine ?
  • Reply 27 of 28
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Snow Leopard needs more work before it becomes as stable as Leopard. I use SL without any major issues, but had a weird experience with my Apple wired mouse. My mouse stopped scrolling down. I could scroll up, but not down and no, it was not a mechanical issue. Apple support didn't find what was wrong with the mouse, so they gave me a new mouse which worked well. After a while, the new mouse faced the same issue and I had to reboot once to fix it. I removed the eToken client from my machine (I copied the certificates to Keychain) and haven't faced the issue since. Now with Apple asking people to test USB devices in 10.6.4 I have my theories...
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Surprise surprise. Have now gone a week with zero problems using Snow Leopard. Things I changed this time were shutting off spaces, expose, and most Dashboard widgets. However, maybe more relevant was to use a freeware fan control system extension, which has reduced the cpu running temp round 10 degrees. I wonder if Snow Leopard slowed the fan speed to around 1400 rpm whereas it seems like the recommendation for an IMac is more like 2000 rpm. Just hoping it wont crash now I have declared success.