Potential component suppliers for Apple's fourth-gen iPhone named

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With Apple's new iPhone expected to launch in a matter of months, a new report alleges Foxconn will again assemble the device, while a new panel supplier will be added into the mix.

Citing the Chinese launguage Economic Daily News, Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported Tuesday that Chimei Innolux will provide panels for the next-generation iPhone. That supplier will be in addition to existing partners TPK Touch Solution and Wintek, who supply parts for the current iPhone 3GS.

The report noted that Foxconn began receiving components for the new iPhone in April. It did not say when they might be assembled for a final product.

Foxconn will allegedly handle 100 percent of the assembly responsibilities for the new iPhone, as it did with the iPhone 3GS. TPK will handle 45 percent of the touch panels, Wintek 40 percent, and newcomer Chimei Innolux 15 percent. The latter was reportedly selected because of its affiliation with Foxconn.

The report also said that Largan Precision will handle 80 percent of the camera modules for the new hardware, while Genius Electronic will cover the other 20 percent. In addition, TXC will up its share of the quartz components in Apple's handsets from 15 percent to 40 percent.

Apple is expected to introduce its next-generation iPhone at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. The conference is scheduled to kick off on June 7, and runs through June 11 at San Francisco's Moscone West. One rumor has alleged that Apple could make its handset available for sale as soon as it is announced, rather than waiting a few weeks as has been done in years past.

Such a strategy could provide Apple with a surprise for users at this year's WWDC, as a leaked prototype of Apple's next-generation iPhone has already revealed that the handset will likely have a forward-facing camera for video chat, and camera flash to improve picture lighting. Reports have also suggested that the prototype design, which features a changed exterior with a flat back and aluminum sides, will be very similar -- if not identical -- to the shipping product to be sold this summer.

Last year, the iPhone 3GS was launched on June 19. The device was formally unveiled over a week earlier at WWDC 2009, which ran from June 8 through June 12. A year prior, the iPhone 3G went on sale July 11.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    I will predict that Apple may attempt to make subtle changes to the purported iPhone G4, so that there will be a slight difference from the Gizmodo. Obviously, not to drastic to deviate too much from the iPhone form. It may be the inside that may show some surprises.

CGC
  • Reply 2 of 21
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    i need to know now when it will launch so i can plan my vacation
  • Reply 3 of 21
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    I know you don't have much else to write, but quoting the chart verbatim to provide wrapper does not a story make. I'd much prefer a more intelligent post such as Gruber's Daring Fireball quotes rather than more confusing filler. The chart said it all. Really.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    I doubt all has been revealed. I suspect there are (pleasant) surprises in store and still to come. I would really tend to doubt that Gizmodo got it all since the iPhone did not function when the got it (MobileMe bricked - POW!).

The only thing that Apple may actually add is the new GizmodoBlocker for Safari ;-).
  • Reply 5 of 21
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I know you don't have much else to write, but quoting the chart verbatim to provide wrapper does not a story make. I'd much prefer a more intelligent post such as Gruber's Daring Fireball quotes rather than more confusing filler. The chart said it all. Really.

But that's what Apple Insider does - find a story, write a load of waffle about it (or very little), then write up the whole history of Apple at the end of the article, complete with links to every article they've ever written.

I'm exaggerating somewhat, obviously!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I have doubts that it could be on sale in 5 weeks. Even if they ramped up production in time what OS would they use: 3.x or some incomplete 4.0? We're only on Beta 2 and it's far from complete. If they were pushing out Betas every once a week or less I could see it, but so far they seem to be following the same pattern as previous years. I think late June is the earliest we can expect it based on current info.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I don't believe anything until it's been exposed by GIZMODO!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have doubts that it could be on sale in 5 weeks. Even if they ramped up production in time what OS would they use: 3.x or some incomplete 4.0? We're only on Beta 2 and it's far from complete. If they were pushing out Betas every once a week or less I could see it, but so far they seem to be following the same pattern as previous years. I think late June is the earliest we can expect it based on current info.

I agree. The iPhone OS 4.0 beta still long way from GM. I don't see them releasing the 4th generation iPhone or OS 4.0 in early Jun, maybe Jun 26th?!
  • Reply 9 of 21
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I will predict that Apple may attempt to make subtle changes to the purported iPhone G4, so that there will be a slight difference from the Gizmodo. Obviously, not to drastic to deviate too much from the iPhone form. It may be the inside that may show some surprises.

CGC

Have to agree.

I would actually be disappointed in APPLE if the IPHONE 4G was exactly as GIZMOTO picture shows.

BE PREPARED FOR A SURPRISE. Isn't that what APPLES all about.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I agree. The iPhone OS 4.0 beta still long way from GM. I don't see them releasing the 4th generation iPhone or OS 4.0 in early Jun, maybe Jun 26th?!

Saturday this year, not Friday again?

PS: I don't understand the Friday at 5pm release.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Have to agree.

I would actually be disappointed in APPLE if the IPHONE 4G was exactly as GIZMOTO picture shows.

BE PREPARED FOR A SURPRISE. Isn't that what APPLES all about.

It seems to me that if you change it up just to change it up and release it sooner than you planning BECAUSE of the leak then it validates the efforts of the leak. I think Apple (or any company) should release the best product they can at the time frame that works best for them, not allow Gizmodo's unethical efforts to force Apple's hand.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

It seems to me that if you change it up just to change it up and release it sooner than you planning BECAUSE of the leak then it validates the efforts of the leak. I think Apple (or any company) should release the best product they can at the time frame that works best for them, not allow Gizmodo's unethical efforts to force Apple's hand.

Exactly. And I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announces an iPhone identical to the revealed prototype except possibly without the cuts/indents. That would be so Apple, and very self-controlled, good business practice. You know it'll sell just as well anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

But that's what Apple Insider does - find a story, write a load of waffle about it (or very little), then write up the whole history of Apple at the end of the article, complete with links to every article they've ever written.

I'm exaggerating somewhat, obviously!

So why bother coming here?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I came across a rumour that Apple have chosen LG as supplier for the OLED screen in the 4G iphone, but they have just lost a patent case about the tech used to make the screen. Ooops!

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...elease--687305
  • Reply 14 of 21
    blowabsblowabs Posts: 70member
    The Gizmo iPhone, withe squared off edges looks gorgeous!
  • Reply 15 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Saturday this year, not Friday again?

PS: I don't understand the Friday at 5pm release.

It makes no sense to bump up the release schedule for any reason other than the product being ready to ship sooner than previously expected.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Exactly. And I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announces an iPhone identical to the revealed prototype except possibly without the cuts/indents. That would be so Apple, and very self-controlled, good business practice. You know it'll sell just as well anyway.

I didn't think the gaps made sense on an Apple product given their recent design history, so I would not be at all surprised to see those go away. If they didn't mind seems, then the unibody notebooks might not have ever been made.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I came across a rumour that Apple have chosen LG as supplier for the OLED screen in the 4G iphone, but they have just lost a patent case about the tech used to make the screen. Ooops!

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...elease--687305

Is OLED ready for high volumes? I would think that whoever supplies screens would need capacity to make as many as 30 million screens, if not more. I don't know if any product with OLED has sold anywhere nearly that many. LG announced a new OLED plant lately, but it won't be producing until 2011.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is OLED ready for high volumes? I would think that whoever supplies screens would need capacity to make as many as 30 million screens, if not more. I don't know if any product with OLED has sold anywhere nearly that many. LG announced a new OLED plant lately, but it won't be producing until 2011.

I have a Samsung Jet that has an OLED screen, I believe they have sold several million of them. Most of the better upcoming Samsung phones - Bada, Omnia S9000i, Wave, Beam and other models, all have OLED screens, so the answer is yes.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I have a Samsung Jet that has an OLED screen, I believe they have sold several million of them. Most of the better upcoming Samsung phones - Bada, Omnia S9000i, Wave, Beam and other models, all have OLED screens, so the answer is yes.

The problem is, several million isn't several tens of million. It looks like Apple sells about 5x as many smart phones as Samsung does (1), so production volume may yet be an issue.

1) http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...st-quarter.ars
  • Reply 18 of 21
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The problem is, several million isn't several tens of million. It looks like Apple sells about 5x as many smart phones as Samsung does (1), so production volume may yet be an issue.

1) http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...st-quarter.ars

But Samsung is the worlds #2 phone maker and #1 flat screen maker. If its anyone who can step up to the plate, it would be Samsung. No one else has the cash or means to do it. They sold 220 million phones last year. A few tens of millions is chump change to them.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

But Samsung is the worlds #2 phone maker and #1 flat screen maker. If its anyone who can step up to the plate, it would be Samsung. No one else has the cash or means to do it. They sold 220 million phones last year. A few tens of millions is chump change to them.

We're not talking about tens of million of legal currency, but of a specific display technology.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Such a strategy could provide Apple with a surprise for users at this year's WWDC, as a leaked prototype of Apple's next-generation iPhone has already revealed that the handset will likely have a forward-facing camera for video chat, and camera flash to improve picture lighting. Reports have also suggested that the prototype design, which features a changed exterior with a flat back and aluminum sides, will be very similar -- if not identical -- to the shipping product to be sold this summer.

Last year, the iPhone 3GS was launched on June 19. The device was formally unveiled over a week earlier at WWDC 2009, which ran from June 8 through June 12. A year prior, the iPhone 3G went on sale July 11.

One question comes to mind when we talk about a forward facing camera, How will AT&T be able to handle the extra usage on its network?????????????????

After all, If I have a Front facing video camera, I would probably use it when making calls as would most people. It just doesn't add up.