Google to take on Apple in e-book sales this summer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google plans to begin selling e-books in late June or July, getting into the digital business Apple recently entered with the iPad and its own iBookstore.

Google held an event in New York on Tuesday at which Chris Palma, manager for strategic-partner development, announced the search giant's plans, according to The Wall Street Journal. The event was held in Manhattan at the offices of publisher Random House, and was entitled "The Book on Google: Is the Future of Publishing in the Cloud?"

The report said Google will offer content on a "broad array of devices," likely including those running its Android mobile operating system, and books will be available from a number of websites. The service will allow smaller, independent book stores to have a "sophisticated electronic-book sales service with a vast selection of titles."

"Google says users will be able to buy digital copies of books they discover through its book-search service. It will also allow book retailers?even independent shops?to sell Google Editions on their own sites, taking the bulk of the revenue," the report said. "Google is still deciding whether it will follow the model where publishers set the retail price or where Google sets retail prices."

Apple recently entered the e-book market with the release of the iPad on April 3, with the iBooks application and its included iBookstore offering a wide range of titles from a number of major publishers. While it debuted on the iPad, iBooks will be coming to the iPhone and iPod touch this summer.

On Monday, Apple announced that its own venture into the e-books market got off to a strong start, with more than 1.5 million titles downloaded in the first 28 days. The iBookstore is a new online storefront for Apple, in addition to its App Store for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, and the iTunes Music Store.

Last month, it was revealed that Google plans to release a tablet computer to take on Apple's iPad. The device would run the Android mobile operating system, which is primarily found on smartphones. Google's alleged e-reader would function like a computer, though the company hasn't officially confirmed the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Their scans of copyrighted books?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

Their scans of copyrighted books?

Ha yeah probably.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:

Last month, it was revealed that Google plans to release a tablet computer to take on Apple's iPad. The device would run the Android mobile operating system, which is primarily found on smartphones. Google's alleged e-reader would function like a computer, though the company hasn't officially confirmed the device.

LOL @Google, man this company really is trying to get their grubby hands into everything Apple is doing. I'm waiting on them to start manufacturing workstations and laptops too.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Yay, competition! (such as it is)
  • Reply 5 of 30
    joe in miamijoe in miami Posts: 158member
    These guys just bought some windmills the other day. It's pathetic.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    How long until Apple blocks non-iBookstore ebooks on the iPad?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    trackertracker Posts: 35member
    It's coming I'm sure. The Google Book Pro with Android.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

LOL @Google, man this company really is trying to get their grubby hands into everything Apple is doing. I'm waiting on them to start manufacturing workstations and laptops too.

Funny some could say the same about Apple copying Amazon when it comes to ebooks.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Apple is Doomed?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    iocdadiocdad Posts: 4member
    Just keep biting off of Apple. Guess that's everyone's M.O. these days...
  • Reply 11 of 30
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    What is the last thing Google did that wasn't directly derivative from Apple?

Is Apple the Xerox of the 21st century?
  • Reply 12 of 30
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Apple doesn't manufacure laptops or workstations, they contract that work out
  • Reply 13 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Google has no experience in selling consumer stuff. They sell ads that's it, well maybe a few phones...

What will they think of next GoogleTunes?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    applecationapplecation Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tracker View Post

It's coming I'm sure. The Google Book Pro with Android.

To be released in 2011:

iGoog - all in one Android PC

googBook - low cost Android laptop

googBook Pro - 13, 15, and 17 inch Android laptops wrapped in bamboo

Goog Pro - Professional Android workstation, running Adobe Creative Suite (after Google picks up Adobe)
  • Reply 15 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Google has no experience in selling consumer stuff. They sell ads that's it, well maybe a few phones...

What will they think of next GoogleTunes?

Yes

They wanted to buy Lala and Apple scooped them up.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    crawdad62crawdad62 Posts: 99member
    Don't get me wrong Apple is as much to blame in the arena as the next guy but man can't these companies just sometimes think that maybe they'll just stay out of something? It's crazy. Microsoft used to be (and still is) notorious for this type of thing and honestly they should just stick with their bread and butter..... software. But Microsoft is far from alone in sticking their nose in EVERY possible thing whether or not it's benefical or not.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    rivertriprivertrip Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

How long until Apple blocks non-iBookstore ebooks on the iPad?

Probably as long is it takes Apple to block non-iTunes music from their devices.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

What is the last thing Google did that wasn't directly derivative from Apple?

Is Apple the Xerox of the 21st century?

It would certainly seem like Google is the xerox machine of the 21st century!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    terun78terun78 Posts: 36member
    Google is becoming a "me too" company more and more by the day. It seems Apple is the only company that puts in the effort to innovate.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Two thoughts:

1. Nice! I've been waiting for an option to keep reading a copywrited book right on Google books site for a while. As soon as I find a book I need for class on GBooks I try to see if it has enough material for me to go off of before buying it. If I can get the whole book right then and there it would make my life a lot easier.

2. Google's interface is not the best. It's good, but iBooks and Kindle are so much better. I would like to see a desktop app that can go full screen and a better implementation of in book search.

Will definitely watch for price and DRM.