Easy to put in new ram in an iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How easy is it to change the ram in an iMac?

Apple ram is so expensive so i`d like to just buy my own and put it in. Easy to do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Dead easy. It's just a panel on the underside that screws off.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Dead easy. It's just a panel on the underside that screws off.

Great, thanks!

Now, just to wait until the new revision comes out.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    This is for an older iMac, but it probably is the same for the new iMac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_B3K1Za5Y
  • Reply 4 of 7
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Ram is real easy. Anything else, not so much.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Easy, but just be careful about two things: First, you'll be laying your iMac on the face of the display, so have a big towel or soft cloth on hand so you don't scratch it. Second, make sure the RAM is fully seated in the slot. This may require more force than you think it should. Push evenly on both sides of the RAM card. Also make sure the RAM is not upside down before pushing!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Disconnect the power, ground yourself to discharge static electricity before opening anything and only touch the plastic sides of the chips with your fingers. The human oils can corrode the contacts.

Push the chip in evenly until it seats firmly and the latches close.

Good idea to place the screws in a container too. Magnetic screw driver helps.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    So easy ... even a caveman can do it.

I did mine a while ago. There is only one screw on my iMac. If I recall correctly, it will stay put in the trap door. You may need something to put in one of the holes in what I call the trap door, so you can pull it loose from the computer. Removing and/or installing RAM was easier for me, than it was getting the cover off, then back on. Do make sure you are getting the correct RAM. I do believe there is a difference between desktop and laptop memory. A very cool friend sent me RAM that was lying around after he upgraded. So I did not have to worry. I do believe the iMac uses laptop memory modules.