Apple's next-gen iPhone could record 720p high-def video

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Potentially lending support to the rumored "iPhone HD" name, new evidence in the iPhone OS 4 SDK suggests the camera in Apple's next-generation handset could record 720p high-definition video.

Preset values for video capture in the latest beta of the software development kit show a supported resolution of 1280x720 pixels, according to MacRumors. That's the same progressive-scan resolution used for high-definition 720p content. iPhone OS 4 beta 3 was released this week with a new iPod widget feature.

Last week, a report claimed that the iPhone would have a 5 megapixel camera supplied by LG Innotek. While the megapixels account for the size of still images, the they offer no clear insight into the video recording capabilities of the handset.

In its hands-on with the obtained next-generation iPhone prototype, Gizmodo noted that the camera on the device's back side was "quite noticeably larger" than the one on the current-generation iPhone 3GS. The prototype device also had a forward-facing camera, but neither lens could be tested and picture quality could not be determined, as the hardware had been deactivated.

Previous rumors had indicated the new iPhone would be known as the "iPhone HD," and would feature a double-resolution 960x640 pixel display.

In addition to a 5-megapixel camera with possible support for HD video recording, this year's iPhone model is also expected to gain a camera flash. As AppleInsider first reported in January, Apple has been shopping around for LED flash components, and may have chosen Philips' LUXEON LED technology. Camera flash functions were also found referenced in pre-release builds of iPhone Software 4.0.

The next-generation iPhone is expected to be unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. The conference is scheduled to kick off on June 7, and runs through June 11 at San Francisco's Moscone West.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Thinner, double resolution, front facing camera, 5MP rear camera, camera flash, HD video.. This thing is sounding better by the minute
  • Reply 2 of 28
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    HD video might be just one reason the inactivated prototype disclosed by Gizmodo probably didn't do the device justice. By looking rather pedestrian in its useless state, Gizmodo may have swayed people to buy something else--something non-Apple--instead of waiting.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    a2gsga2gsg Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The next-generation iPhone is expected to be unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference keynote.

how can this possibly be so when Steve Jobs directly responded to the Gizmodo (iPhone HD) leak by summarily canceling it?

see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjhta_KmPkE
  • Reply 4 of 28
    taniatania Posts: 63member
    Jason Chen in jail yet?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In its hands-on with the obtained next-generation iPhone prototype [...]

"obtained".

not found, not lost, not stolen, not borrowed. obtained.

how, uhm, safe.

jason chen in jail yet?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    tap5atap5a Posts: 9member
    I'm quite sure it won't be 1280x720 but 960x540 resolution instead. Just last fall Apple introduced it's own iFrame format in iMovie. iFrame is based on h.264 but optimised that way video can be kept in its native recorded format while editing.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3905
  • Reply 7 of 28
    cxc273cxc273 Posts: 46member
    I'm very excited for the new iPhone -- definitely getting one at the earliest opportunity!

I'm not that terribly interested in video, though the 720p is intriguing. Frankly, I'm more excited that it might include a camera flash.

If the phone does come equipped with 720p capability, will Apple limit the file size or shooting time, like Nikon with its D90 SLR?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Yes, but the lenses in these camera phones are so small that they really only look good playing back on a...camera phone.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cxc273 View Post

I'm very excited for the new iPhone -- definitely getting one at the earliest opportunity!

I suspect the same! Especially considering how slow the 3G is.

Quote:

I'm not that terribly interested in video, though the 720p is intriguing. Frankly, I'm more excited that it might include a camera flash.

I hardly ever use the camera on my iPhone. So this doesn't sway me one bit. The thought of video is interesting but the problem with iPhone is the lack of control. This isn't a DSLR and doesn't even come close to point and shoot flexibility.

Quote:

If the phone does come equipped with 720p capability, will Apple limit the file size or shooting time, like Nikon with its D90 SLR?

There will likely be limits simply due to the underlying technology. That of course depends upon how much performance can be squeezed into the box.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 28
    acslater017acslater017 Posts: 424member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Thinner, double resolution, front facing camera, 5MP rear camera, camera flash, HD video.. This thing is sounding better by the minute

The one feature that I'm very curious about is the double resolution. I really wonder how that will be handled, how it will look, etc.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    I just checked my Casio Exilim camera and it is 5 megapixels but has flash...

My 3Gs is great for outdoor shots and video but indoor shots are fuzzy and dark due to no flash.

Will be upgrading to the new iPhone if it indeed has flash because then I don't have to carry my Exilim around as well.

As a realtor the photos only have to be good enough for the websites, mine, mls and realtor.com

I was going to spend $100 and get a WiFi 4gig SD card for the Exilim but I will put that $100 towards the new iPhone instead! Exilim is OK except to charge and sync you have to have the 'dock' with you! What a pain!
  • Reply 12 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

The one feature that I'm very curious about is the double resolution. I really wonder how that will be handled, how it will look, etc.

It will just render stuff a bit sharper. I don't think it was an important move, the current screen looks fine in terms of pixel density - that upgrade seems made for the spec sheet. Since the screen quality is available, they may as well use it though.

720p video would be a great feature but it depends on the bitrate. I'd rather have a slightly lower resolution than compress a high resolution frame into a lower bitrate limit and have more artifacts. 540p is fine for frame size and you'll fit more video on the internal storage. As always, options are the best way - allow 720p if the hardware can cope but give the user the option of using a lower size.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin;

720p video would be a great feature but it depends on the bitrate. I'd rather have a slightly lower resolution than compress a high resolution frame into a lower bitrate limit and have more artifacts. 540p is fine for frame size and you'll fit more video on the internal storage. As always, options are the best way - allow 720p if the hardware can cope but give the user the option of using a lower size.

I'm sure it'll be fine when it comes to quality. It will probably be similar to the Flip. As always with these small devices is stabilization. Stabilizing it in iMovie can always be done but it would be sweet if there was some digital image stabilization on the iPhone itself.

With this update I have every possible need met. I guess all that's left is faster processors and larger hard drives in future releases.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Yes, but the lenses in these camera phones are so small that they really only look good playing back on a...camera phone.

My thoughts exactly. Crappy, tiny lens. No optical zoom. No image stabilization. What's the point of having blurry, murky shakycam video at HD file sizes?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yes I agree the iFrame format seems far more likely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tap5a View Post

I'm quite sure it won't be 1280x720 but 960x540 resolution instead. Just last fall Apple introduced it's own iFrame format in iMovie. iFrame is based on h.264 but optimised that way video can be kept in its native recorded format while editing.

• Reply 16 of 28
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

The lens size is not the reason. It's sensor size that dictates image quality.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Isn't this a feature already available for other phones?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

"obtained".

not found, not lost, not stolen, not borrowed. obtained.

how, uhm, safe.

Probably the best way to go if you want to approach it from journalistic ideals.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tap5a View Post

Sounds like a good compromise to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I hardly ever use the camera on my iPhone. So this doesn't sway me one bit. The thought of video is interesting but the problem with iPhone is the lack of control. This isn't a DSLR and doesn't even come close to point and shoot flexibility.

There will likely be limits simply due to the underlying technology. That of course depends upon how much performance can be squeezed into the box.

Phone cameras tend to be pretty limited, but I find phone cameras to be very useful for grabbing and storing information. And I don't carry my good camera with me all the time, sometimes I see a nice shot opportunity and have to have it anyways.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I'm sure it'll be fine when it comes to quality. It will probably be similar to the Flip. As always with these small devices is stabilization. Stabilizing it in iMovie can always be done but it would be sweet if there was some digital image stabilization on the iPhone itself.

With this update I have every possible need met. I guess all that's left is faster processors and larger hard drives in future releases.

I think there can be some good done in the phone because the iPhone has orientation and acceleration sensors and "crop" the sensor a bit so there's room on the edges to compensate for movement.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

The lens size is not the reason. It's sensor size that dictates image quality.

It's not necessarily so simple, it depends on where the weakest link is. A good sensor doesn't mean much if the lens in front of it is bad.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    explorer5explorer5 Posts: 2member
    Did you read the part in the SDK that says all video recorded on this new iPhone will only be able to be viewed by other iphone users because apple will create a "groundbreaking, 22nd century" video/audio codec that will prevent it from being viewed on devices outside of the iphone, ipad and itouch.

Unfortunately Apple will never release the code or license the codec to other manufacturers/software programmers because their software/hardware will never be good enough and will never be able to display the video in the mindboggling HD quality that only a quality apple device can provide.

Lastly, in the legal agreement of the SDK it states how apple has the right to use any video created on the iphone with their codec and sell it on iTunes, keeping 100% of the profit since they are ensuring your video gets the most amount of publicity vs closed/unfriendly/evil systems such as YouTube.