Occasional sluggish keyboard, trackpad

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
For the past two days, I've met up with keyboard hangs. The cursor won't respond, for awhile, to trackpad taps or scrapes. Letter key presses produce no immediate on-screen result. (This is happening now and then as I type this post!) Quite annoying. Occurs in both Firefox and Webkit. MacOSX 10.6.3. MacBookPro 15", purchased 1/09

Browser restart, system boot, no help.

Is this likely a hardware problem deserving a trip to the repair store?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Can you please tell what your CPU usage is at this moment?

Are the fans going full force?

Have you added any new hardware or installed anything in the past few days?

Dan
  • Reply 2 of 5
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DayRobot View Post

Can you please tell what your CPU usage is at this moment?

Are the fans going full force?

Have you added any new hardware or installed anything in the past few days?

Dan

In fact, fans not audible at all. I've seldom heard fans, except occasionally when I've run the Disk Utility. (I'm not a heavy user.)

At the times when this happens, often, the only things running are, the usual Finder of course, the Browser, Yahoo! Messenger, (now I'm looking at the top bar), Growl, Evernote, iAntivirus, Airport (for the router)...that's about it. I install Webkit "nightly".
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I think its a normal problem you just reinstall your bey Bord cable,your cable having a loose connection might its possible,otherwise just check keyboard pin that having some little wire connection,
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jackvinsly View Post

I think its a normal problem you just reinstall your bey Bord cable,your cable having a loose connection might its possible,otherwise just check keyboard pin that having some little wire connection,

It's a MacBook Pro, he can't just "reinstall" the keyboard.

What I'd suggest is that you check the Activity Monitor for signs of any stray processes hogging up lots of CPU cycles. Failure to respond immediately to clicks and keyboard input is a common symptom of CPU overload.

And my personal advice? Remove iAntivirus. It's not necessary, and it's just wasting processor time that could be used on other things. Again, that's just personal advice.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

[snip]

It's a MacBook Pro, he can't just "reinstall" the keyboard.

[/snip]

Here...

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/I...eat-Sink/292/1

The top shell comes off, and the k/b and trackpad cables can be reconnected if they are loose...

Then just follow directions to close the machine back up

Dan