POLL: Why did you buy an iPad?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Tell us why you bought a iPad and a bit about yourself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I voted even though I haven't bought mine yet. This is why I am buying an iPad on April 23rd or whatever day Apple makes them available in Hong Kong.

Games, yes. I am an RPG addict and I'm often commuting on the MTR (Subway) or bus. I will play games I already play daily on my iPod Touch as well as games more tailored for the larger screen of the iPad. This seems like the perfect turn-based RPG playing device.

I will also read eBooks and magazines (when I'm not busy playing games), though likely I will mostly stick to free content. I'm looking forward to catching up on the classics.

But I will use the iPad on an almost daily basis for work. Mostly for presenting photos, videos, eBooks, flashcards and interactive learning apps to small groups of ESL kindergarten children. This is my killer app. Even the iPhone apps I already have will be 1000% better on the bigger screen for this purpose.

One major choice you're omitting is browsing the internet (not necessarily in the living room). I will use the iPad a lot for going online when I'm not at home. I won't leave home without it, and I have unlimited 3G data which I use with a portable WiFi router, so I don't need the 3G iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

One major choice you're omitting is browsing the internet (not necessarily in the living room).

I thought about that, but nearly everyone browses the net and with the iPad being portable, likely everyone would vote in that category regardless.

Since I had only 10 polling choices, I had to slim my selections down, the obvious had to go.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Reading, Movies, Internet, eMail...

It will replace my aging PowerBookG4 as my travel machine. 80 hours a month on an airplane and 10 nights a month in hotels... The 10 hour battery kicks a notebook's butt, and it will do everything I've used the PB for in the last couple years. Anything that requires real computing power I generally do on the home iMac anyway, since the C2D makes the G4 seem like a ppc68020.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I´m trying hard to figure in a iPad into my digital world at this time, perhaps when the 3G models roll out we can get a better understanding of why the more affluent purchased one.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    I bought it to experience media content . 7inches might have been easier to carry around . Although this size has its benefits.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

7inches might have been easier to carry around . Although this size has its benefits.

That's what I've been saying for years!
  • Reply 7 of 24
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
  • Reply 8 of 24
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    I use it to go to rentboy dot com.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    seafoxseafox Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

I bought it to experience media content . 7inches might have been easier to carry around . Although this size has its benefits.

That's what she said!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

I thought about that, but nearly everyone browses the net and with the iPad being portable, likely everyone would vote in that category regardless.

Since I had only 10 polling choices, I had to slim my selections down, the obvious had to go.

I guess it depends on the intent of the poll, IMO internet use is a proper question. Otherwise you just asking where you use it, is that what you meant?

Perhaps you would like to create some other polls?

with these premises (maybe its different than yours?),

What main item caused you to purchase an ipad vs a laptop?

Instant on/off

Easy web access.

Light weight

Long Battery use

E-reader

Apps

Cheaper than laptop

Wanted 3G

Security

Display

Combination of items/other

Then another- for ipad purchases What is the main ipad drawback.

Lack of flash

Lack of microsoft office compatable apps.

Price

3G price

Lack of printing capablity.

Lack of USB or other common attachment

Lack of screen protection

Lack of keyboard/mouse touchscreen integrated solution

Speakers

Display while e-reading

Display in sunlight.

Many items/other
  • Reply 11 of 24
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    I wanted a bigger iPod Touch.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    To replace my laptop with a more convenient mobile computing device.

Oh and also to run my international drug running and money laundering business:

www.launderitnow.com

I have found it perfect for this but am waiting for someone to do an app that will allow me to order AK47s and dispatch via FedEX
  • Reply 13 of 24
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    This poll is missing what are probably the top two iPad uses, web browsing and email.

Magazines and ebooks as an option instead? Somebody has been paying too much attention to advertising hype.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

This poll is missing what are probably the top two iPad uses, web browsing and email.

Magazines and ebooks as an option instead? Somebody has been paying too much attention to advertising hype.

Web browsing and email are nearly universal uses.

The Poll was designed to identify the placement of the device in people's digital life.

When Apple released the iPod Touch it had a lot of capability, but no set purpose. People later made it primarily a portable gaming device.

The iPad is similar as a the iPod Touch, a larger screen, a bit more powerful apps. So I'm interesting in seeing what it's primary purpose people will chose it for.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Web browsing and email are nearly universal uses.

The Poll was designed to identify the placement of the device in people's digital life.

When Apple released the iPod Touch it had a lot of capability, but no set purpose. People later made it primarily a portable gaming device.

The iPad is similar as a the iPod Touch, a larger screen, a bit more powerful apps. So I'm interesting in seeing what it's primary purpose people will chose it for.

Yes, but it's still ridiculous not to include them as poll choices, as those features alone are enough for someone to choose to buy an iPad. It's like having a poll about "why did you buy a car" without including "for transportation" as a choice.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    That's a baffling distinction. Or perhaps just a strange way to conduct a poll. You've asked a question and asked people to vote but then left off what would have been the top choice in that poll.

Exclusion of the most popular response might reveal something interesting. But to be done properly, it should be acknowledged up front that the most popular response has been purposefully excluded.

Perhaps a wording such as the following would have been more appropriate:

For what auxiliary purposes did you buy an iPad?

Or

Other than browsing the web and email, why else did you buy an iPad?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I've already answered tonton's question in a earlier post.

It is what it is.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    To have all the great things you get with an iPhone without the dropped calls. Plus the size is awesome.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    An amateur photographer's portfolio

An RN's portable reference pad

A portable internet device outside of the house

A quick means to read books

And whatever else I can think of any day of the year.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Companion device with my iMac. My main portable device as well.