44% of iPad buyers view Apple's tablet as notebook replacement

Comments

• Reply 61 of 147
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Has anyone actually tried creating/working with a large spreadsheet on the iPad? We were torn on how to replace an aging Powerbook and were looking at a Netbook or the iPad. We also have a Macbook Pro at home, but needed a second alternative and something light for travelling.

The iWork spreadsheet app takes FOREVER to input anything. Using the keyboard of a netbook is SO much faster. I also spent only $300. No extra keyboard to buy, other adapters to buy to get photos off my camera, not re-buying all the apps I've already purchased for my iPhone, it already has a front facing camera, it handles Outlook very well (which blows away Mail on the iPad). I've had zero performance problems. It's nice to not feel gouged by Apple for every single accessory I need to make it more like a "notebook experience". There are also so many GOOD freeware alternatives to apps, where as the desire to create a GOOD free App Store application has gone the wayside. The iPad seems like a continue outpouring of money. So far I've had one upfront cost with my Netbook.

Don't get me wrong, I see a place for the iPad. I just don't see it replacing a Netbook/Notebook. Seems to be great for portable gaming and portable web browsing. But for content creation, content sharing (Bittorrent app for iPad?) it just doesn't seem to be a long term winner. Can you comfortably sit with a keyboard and an iPad on your lap anywhere (is the extra acce$$ory dock work on the lap as well?)? Also, the battery life argument isn't much of one, I get 11 hours on my netbook.

We also can sync a bluetooth mouse that we already own to our netbook for FLASH websites. Don't get me wrong, Flash may be going the way of the wayside, but by the time it's gone, we'll be on iPad generation 3 or 4. So in the meantime, it's nice to be able to access those kinds of websites. Ever try going to a local restaurant's website on an iPhone on the go? It's the most annoying thing in the world as most are done in Flash.

Looks like you're happy with a netbook. Great. I've tried netbooks and hate them. Plastic and junk to me. That's my feelings. You have you're feelings. We're both happy with what we've got. That's what freedom of choice is all about. Based on what I've seen, though, a whole lot more people are going to be happy with an iPad than a netbook. They make do, same as you can't drive a car where you can ride a horse. You may be restricted to mostly roads in a car, but it's the vehicle that meets nearly all of your needs (except for flights) and is much faster and better than a horse in nearly all areas.

Basically, buy what you like and fits your needs, and respect the choice of others to buy what they think is best for them. Everybody's happy.
  • Reply 62 of 147
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote: 6. Access file types currently unavailable on the iPad (flash, FLAC, MKV, i'm sure there are more)

There is no need to support every obscure file type. The iPad only needs to support the most commonly used. End Quote

There is a need if you intend to access these files. Not everyone generates content in Apple approved formats.

And Flash is not obscure. Not yet anyway.
  • Reply 63 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Oh no, it's not the sharing of ideas and opinions that grinds my gear (I like reading them and respect those opinionated people who actually knows what their talking about and I've learned a thing or two from those comments), it's all the immature, childish, baseless comments that I'm trying to point out. You know, the Apple sucks, Adobe sucks, insults, comments full of bias that it makes no attempt at defending their comment. I guess they're called fanboys (I don't know, I don't see the need for one to be).

I should've made that clear. This isn't a personal attack to people who actually make real opinionated comments.

Agreed, that was what I was trying to express as well. And antkm1, I understand your point of view, I just think your point has been made and discussed, and we should agree that we probably have differences of opinion that might not be resolved. We can discuss the merits of those opinions, but when both sides see no progress, you just agree to disagree. So let's move on and hit up the next article.
  • Reply 64 of 147
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    I see my iPad (when I finally manage to get hold of one) replacing my Macbook Pro, my iPod Touch and my Kindle. In practice, I use my Macbook Pro pretty much exclusively for surfing the web these days, and use my iMac for doing any heavy computing (much prefer sitting at a desktop with it's larger screen when I'm playing with photos and video). Since the MBP is mostly used for web surfing, the iPad will replace it nicely.

I'll replace the iPod Touch with an iPod Nano when the battery in the touch gives up the ghost (and it's started to fail now) and the Kindle will end up being taken over by the iPad since I can get all my Kindle books on the Kindle app.

I see the iPad being a fantastic device for me, fitting into what I need far more than what is available now.
  • Reply 65 of 147
    zagmaczagmac Posts: 72member
    If there needs to be a differentiator between Touch and Pad in order for both to remain viable, there's an answer that makes me very excited: Turn the Touch into the first true mobile wireless device that replaces a camera. The obvious omission from all but 1 or 2 (in Korea or China only, I believe) of the cameras on phones or smartphones out there? Optical zoom. I can see not building that expensive option in when needing Touch to be mass-market. But with Phone and Pad surrounding it, now's the time to dominate the portable camera market for Apple! With all the apps you need to manage, alter, share, etc. that recorded content instantly, how would it not dominate the category?

(I have no idea what response this might generate, but please make sure it's not mean. I'm not a market-research, technology, consumer or any other kind of expert. I've just decided I want my new Touch to be a kick-ass camera and thought I'd share!)
  • Reply 66 of 147
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Not when she lives in another state. I'm talking about people (like her) that don't want to buy both a computer and an iPad to own an iPad (which my arguement state most average users only need). The iPad is dependent on a computer to operate. My thought was to create a device that sells with the iPad, like a docking station, perhaps the size of the Time Capsule (or something built into the accessory keyboard). This dock would then be connected directly to a router via CAT5 or WiFi. That way, when you dock your ipad, you can manipulate files and access content, like a computer currently does, but when you unplug it from the dock, it works as is currently does.

Manipulate what files, and for what reasons? Again, in your Mom's case, she doesn't have a computer, so she has no need for syncing or any sort of file manipulation. The iPad is not dependent on a computer to operate, not in the least. I understand the problem with initializing it, and hope Apple addresses that issue, but once initialized, it is functionally complete, without any other computer present.
  • Reply 67 of 147
    daving313daving313 Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Looks like you're happy with a netbook. Great. I've tried netbooks and hate them. Plastic and junk to me. That's my feelings. You have you're feelings. We're both happy with what we've got. That's what freedom of choice is all about. Based on what I've seen, though, a whole lot more people are going to be happy with an iPad than a netbook. They make do, same as you can't drive a car where you can ride a horse. You may be restricted to mostly roads in a car, but it's the vehicle that meets nearly all of your needs (except for flights) and is much faster and better than a horse in nearly all areas.

Basically, buy what you like and fits your needs, and respect the choice of others to buy what they think is best for them. Everybody's happy.

Wow, way to insert some rather abusive subjectivity there "plastic and junk". Although, I do have that same sentiment for my white iPhone with its plastic cracks (without a single drop), but I digress.

Yes, people have freedom of choice. That's a rather obvious sentiment. My point was more of the market cannibalization of an iPad over a Netbook/Notebook. While it may be a replacement for some in the heat of their recent purchase/hype of the iPad, it will be interesting to see 8-12 months from now if they have those same feelings. I can see some people justifying a new laptop/netbook because of the "little things that my iPad just can't do."

Time will tell on the "replacement" front. People just dropped $600-$1000 on these things and have a bunch more purchases to make in terms of accessories and the iPad versions of apps they've already bought. Obviously they'll be very happy and consider it a replacement.

One last point, are you saying a Netbook is like a horse and an iPad more like a car? Can't a car do more things than a horse? Why can't I do some basic things on an iPad? What if I want to have a videochat with my family across the country? Also, there are speed limits. They are called software limitations. The car may have a higher top speed than a horse, but with speed limits, you'll rarely ever see the top speed of your car.
  • Reply 68 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

If there needs to be a differentiator between Touch and Pad in order for both to remain viable, there's an answer that makes me very excited: Turn the Touch into the first true mobile wireless device that replaces a camera. The obvious omission from all but 1 or 2 (in Korea or China only, I believe) of the cameras on phones or smartphones out there? Optical zoom. I can see not building that expensive option in when needing Touch to be mass-market. But with Phone and Pad surrounding it, now's the time to dominate the portable camera market for Apple! With all the apps you need to manage, alter, share, etc. that recorded content instantly, how would it not dominate the category?

(I have no idea what response this might generate, but please make sure it's not mean. I'm not a market-research, technology, consumer or any other kind of expert. I've just decided I want my new Touch to be a kick-ass camera and thought I'd share!)

I think a camera of some sort would fit Apple's portfolio nicely. Not sure a modified iPod Touch is the way forwards (might be though!) but given how much involvement Apple have with photography on the Mac side, you'd think they could come up with a camera that could integrate nicely into that.
  • Reply 69 of 147
    daving313daving313 Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I see my iPad (when I finally manage to get hold of one) replacing my Macbook Pro, my iPod Touch and my Kindle. In practice, I use my Macbook Pro pretty much exclusively for surfing the web these days, and use my iMac for doing any heavy computing (much prefer sitting at a desktop with it's larger screen when I'm playing with photos and video). Since the MBP is mostly used for web surfing, the iPad will replace it nicely.

I'll replace the iPod Touch with an iPod Nano when the battery in the touch gives up the ghost (and it's started to fail now) and the Kindle will end up being taken over by the iPad since I can get all my Kindle books on the Kindle app.

I see the iPad being a fantastic device for me, fitting into what I need far more than what is available now.

As someone who owns a Kindle and tried an iPad for book reading for a while.... You will be sorely disappointed in the amount of glare on that shiny screen when you want to read. The weight difference is also incredible. Some will say though the fancy page turns make it worth it...Whatever floats your boat.
  • Reply 70 of 147
    Quote:

As someone who owns a Kindle and tried an iPad for book reading for a while.... You will be sorely disappointed in the amount of glare on that shiny screen when you want to read. The weight difference is also incredible. Some will say though the fancy page turns make it worth it...Whatever floats your boat.

I have to admit, I'm going to wait and see on that front. I don't see myself selling the Kindle, so it might stay my main reading device.

Appreciate the comments though - will be interested to see how I find it.
  • Reply 71 of 147
    Quote:

Wow, way to insert some rather abusive subjectivity there "plastic and junk". Although, I do have that same sentiment for my white iPhone with its plastic cracks (without a single drop), but I digress.

Yes, people have freedom of choice. That's a rather obvious sentiment. My point was more of the market cannibalization of an iPad over a Netbook/Notebook. While it may be a replacement for some in the heat of their recent purchase/hype of the iPad, it will be interesting to see 8-12 months from now if they have those same feelings. I can see some people justifying a new laptop/netbook because of the "little things that my iPad just can't do."

Time will tell on the "replacement" front. People just dropped $600-$1000 on these things and have a bunch more purchases to make in terms of accessories and the iPad versions of apps they've already bought. Obviously they'll be very happy and consider it a replacement.

One last point, are you saying a Netbook is like a horse and an iPad more like a car? Can't a car do more things than a horse? Why can't I do some basic things on an iPad? What if I want to have a videochat with my family across the country? Also, there are speed limits. They are called software limitations. The car may have a higher top speed than a horse, but with speed limits, you'll rarely ever see the top speed of your car.

Here we go again..........
  • Reply 72 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

Don't worry, I'm very nice. The issue with that is thickness. The reason they don't have optical zoom is there is not enough room to add in multiple lenses and rotating mechanisms. There simply isn't enough room to put all the components. Durability would be another concern. I wouldn't, and I don't think Steve would, sacrifice the beautiful thinness of the iPod Touch merely to add a nice camera. I'd love a small camera like the iPhone, but even that one is almost twice as thick as the Touch. I'd be disappointed with the camera in the Nano with no stills and low quality video, so I'm content with just a larger battery instead.
  • Reply 73 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

heck if Apple adds the ipad to the items you can buy with a rebate for their back to school promo, a lot of students will grab that macbook pro plus a 16gb ipad with $199 knocked off the price

Holy crap, that is a great idea. If they do that, the iPad could seriously start dominating college campuses.
  • Reply 74 of 147
    atsysusaatsysusa Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is exactly what I think many people will do. I plan on doing it. I much prefer to wok on a desktop when a t home, but I needed the portability of a portable so I went with a Mac Book Pro. I can do all the things I usually do when traveling with the iPad: namely emailing, web surfing, taking notes, etc. So why would I buy a more expensive laptop when I can get a fuller features iMac and iPad for about the same price?

At first I thought that the iPad was not for me. I do a lot of CAD and some simulation and animation work. Then I played with one at an Apple Store and - Eureka - I realized that I have 3 lives. The at home/office life where I do most of my substantive work; the 'in the field' life where I have to do engineering sketches, facility layouts and database development; and my marketing life where I do presentations and take notes.

For the on-the-road marketing life the iPad is perfect. I will still use my MacBook in the field and my MacPro in the office. If Project Management, CAD and modeling apps ever get ported to the iPad I will probably abandon the MacBook. Or maybe, by then the MacBook will be more like the iPad.
  • Reply 75 of 147
    Quote:

Here we go again..........

Lol, yeah, I was just going to go into another 300 word essay on my iPad here, but thought I should probably take my own advice. I do wish AI had a few chat rooms so we could a bit faster flow of discussion and ideas.
  • Reply 76 of 147
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

I am growing old probably. I just do not understand how an iPan can replace a fully featured pc with a full OS? How an iPan can replace an iPod (they talk of iPod touch so probably those people are now looking in classic/nano direction)?.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I mean seriously, if the ipad can replace your notebook, it means you weren't doing anything too advanced with a notebook (that you can't do with an ipad.)

Maybe, maybe not.

There ARE some people who don't use their computer for more than looking at pictures of their grandkids, browsing the web, and doing email. The iPad is great for them.

There are others (like me) who have several computers and the iPad will take the place of my MBP most of the time. A lot of my time is spent doing things that the iPad handles natively. If I need access to my Mac files and apps, I simply use LogMeIn to access my main computer - and don't have to worry about where my files are - I'll keep ALL my files in one location.

You just don't seem to understand that the world has billions of people - and hundreds of millions (or maybe its past a billion) of computer users. No one product will suit everyone. Even if just a couple percent can use the iPad, that's still tens of millions of units and billions of dollars. Repeat after me: THE IPAD IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

How can you sync the iPad to nothing? This is what I don't get about this argument.

Because you're judging everyone else by YOUR needs. There are a lot of people out there who use phones and never upgrade the OS. The iPad is the same idea. They'll activate it for you at the Apple Store if you wish and then you can use it without ever connecting it to a computer.

More importantly, the overwhelming majority of iPad users already have at least one computer and the iPad is an addition rather than a replacement, so your argument fails.

Quote:

I think a camera of some sort would fit Apple's portfolio nicely. Not sure a modified iPod Touch is the way forwards (might be though!) but given how much involvement Apple have with photography on the Mac side, you'd think they could come up with a camera that could integrate nicely into that.

BTDT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake
  • Reply 77 of 147
    "44% of iPad buyers view Apple's tablet as notebook replacement "

Translation:

"56% of iPad buyers recognize that the iPad is not a notebook replacement but instead an actual computer is listed as one of the system requirements, and 44% of iPad users have yet to suffer either RSI from typing an an unusual angle or eye strain from the glare on the reflective screen."

• Reply 78 of 147
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Manipulate what files, and for what reasons? Again, in your Mom's case, she doesn't have a computer, so she has no need for syncing or any sort of file manipulation. The iPad is not dependent on a computer to operate, not in the least. I understand the problem with initializing it, and hope Apple addresses that issue, but once initialized, it is functionally complete, without any other computer present.

I think you see my point. You cannot initialize, update, or even store added files beyond the physical storage of the device without a computer. I agree that the iPad is 95% self-sustaining, but without the interface of a computer, you have to look for alternate devices, like a netbook. And this should (IMO) be addressed by Apple to open the market up even further. Why build a device as powerful as this and call it Niche, seems short sighted.

An accessible file structure should be implemented as well at the ability to initialize the iPad without a computer is (IMO) the next step to opening this device to people who don't need a full fuction computer/laptop. That's all i was arguing that Apple should address. I think this may be in the works; if you remember back last year AI posted that Apple is begining to look into an iTunes Cloud interface. That could solve the problem.

My idea of just including (or offering) a docking station specific to devices like the iPad or even iPhone could also be a solution; since neither device has a large enough drive space for large collections of movies, photos, iWork files and music to sync without some kind of sync storage. Perhaps if the Accessory keyboard had some storage space integrated and that could be plugged into the Time Capsule or connected directly to a modem/router, that could also be a solution.

And, since some people are tired of my arguement (see posts above) i will drop it here.
  • Reply 79 of 147
    enrigonzenrigonz Posts: 12member
    I think of these devices mostly as a tool to get a certain job done or even content consumption in some cases like the iPod, iPad, Apple TV etc. They each serve a purpose, to say the iPad will take the place of a computer really depends on the individual alone and not so much on the actual facts. An iPad will never take the place of a notebook or desktop, impossible at this point in time, maybe future generations will have some improvements such as being able to print, be independent from another computer, etc.

If you have plenty of cash laying around and don't really have a need for a computer then the iPad might do just fine but not even my mother can replace her notebook and desktop for an iPad and she's a very light user. I really would like to see someone go from a notebook to an iPad and use nothing else, depend completely on an iPad for a year and see how that person did. personally I wouldn't last more than a couple of days, until my next photo shoot, Flip Video compilation, or the need to print a document.

The way other devices work such as an iPhone, iPod, Blackberry, Video Cameras, DSLRs and others is by it being connected to a computer sooner or later to extract content, then for editing the content, for syncing calendars or contacts with your smart phone. Even my remote control depends on my computer for programming, the iPad is just another one of these devices, it heavily depends on a computer for functionality at one point or another.
  • Reply 80 of 147
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I'd love a small camera like the iPhone, but even that one is almost twice as thick as the Touch. I'd be disappointed with the camera in the Nano with no stills and low quality video, so I'm content with just a larger battery instead.

I've got the standard 3G iPhone. Just came back from a trip to DC, when my real digital camera battery died, i ended up pulling out my iPhone to continue my barrage of photo snapping. Granted the camera on the 3G is not as Hi-Res as my 7Mpx Nikon 7800, but i did find in low-lighting situations (like in Museums) it did as good of a job or even better than my Nikon (just wish the iPhone had image stabilization). Granted i haven't figured out all the lighting options of the complex shooting modes of the Nikon, but in a pinch the iPhone worked very well.

I do have to say also that the camera in the Gen 1 iPhone takes much better photos than the Gen 2 that i have. I'm not sure why by my girlfriend's Gen 1 is way better at focusing than the Gen 2. Anyone else experience this?