Apple stores completely sold out of iPad 3G, furnish waiting lists

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's iPad 3G remains sold out in most of the company's retail stores, prompting "Notify Me" waiting lists that will give customers first priority when supplies are replenished.

Ten Apple stores across the U.S. contacted by AppleInsider Thursday were all sold out of the 3G-capable model of the iPad, in all storage capacities. Some of the stores said they were also sold out of all Wi-Fi models, while others had limited stock.

Customers who want the iPad 3G, first released last Friday, can sign up for Apple's "Notify Me" service, which will e-mail customers when the product comes back in stock. Those who sign up for the list have first priority on the iPad 3G, and will have 24 hours to pick up the device when it arrives in store.

Some locations said customers had to come in to a store in person to sign up for the "Notify Me" service, though most contacted said the registration could be done over the phone.

Walk-in customers will not be able to buy an iPad 3G until the store's waiting list has been addressed.

Some stores said their supplies of the Wi-Fi model continue to trickle in, though demand is strong. One California store indicated they received more Wi-Fi-only iPads on Thursday, but have not had any of their iPad 3G stock replenished.

Apple's online store has a waiting list of 5-7 business days for both the Wi-Fi-only and 3G + Wi-Fi iPad models.

The first day of iPad 3G sales was enough to push the device over the 1 million milestone, Apple announced this week. The Wi-Fi-only model was released 28 days earlier, on April 3.

By the end of launch weekend for the iPad 3G, an informal poll of Apple stores found that most were sold out, and supplies of the Wi-Fi model were also limited. Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray predicted that Apple sold 300,000 of the iPad 3G on its opening weekend, though Apple did not provide a specific breakdown of sales by model.

Another survey released this week found that most customers buying the iPad 3G said they would opt for the least expensive 16GB model, starting at $629. The 3G iPad carries a $130 premium over its Wi-Fi counterpart, with the 32GB model costing $729 and the 64GB version for $829.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    amazing
  • Reply 2 of 98
    rcarltonrcarlton Posts: 35member
    (at least) is not accepting "Notify Me" requests online or via phone.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    therobintherobin Posts: 11member
    I totally knew that the iPad would be a huge flop (tongue firmly in cheek).
  • Reply 4 of 98
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    It would be interesting to have a list and a link of all those infamous predictions and derisions that the "iPad is just a large iPod Touch". Thus, will not resonate with consumers and other target groups and fields.

The greatest mistake many of us make sometimes is that if we think we have no use for something, everyone else must have the same reaction.

I wished TechStud had the balls to accept my challenge.

CGC
  • Reply 5 of 98
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheRobin View Post

I totally knew that the iPad would be a huge flop (tongue firmly in cheek).

Thank you for keeping your tongue in your mouth. We wouldn't like it very much if it was sticking out.
  • Reply 6 of 98
    crawdad62crawdad62 Posts: 99member
    I didn't even try going to the Apple Store here. I did check online at BestBuy and they were all sold out. I ended up ordering over the phone and asked the agent if the "Ships in 5 to 7 days" was accurate and he said that's what they've been getting them out at and I should expect it some time around 5/14-5/20. Not bad. I held off this long. I can wait a bit. 64GB WiFi BTW.
  • Reply 7 of 98
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Interesting, that all the haters and people that tried to talk me and others out of getting an iPad are no where to be seen or heard from.

Or maybe they are standing in line (signing up for "Notify Me") trying to get their hands on one.
  • Reply 8 of 98
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I wished TechStud had the balls to accept my challenge.

CGC

He would have just claimed that they were "all fanbot sheep" that were "sucking at the teat of Apple" buying their "mindless drivel" etc. etc.
  • Reply 9 of 98
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    I'm one of those idiots that wants things more when he can't have it. From what was going to be a casual impulse purchase on Saturday has become an obsession, as no one has any ipads here in Phoenix, AZ. I've stopped into a few Apple stores at opening bell and always have a sympathetic guy with a bad haircut tell me "jeez, sorry, don't know when they're coming in." Makes me want it more!

I signed up for the list on Sunday and still no notification from Apple that they've come in. I think they didn't make many of the 3G models initially. After the sales of the wifi model, they should have known there would be considerable demand. In short, all those stories of supply problems coming from Taiwan etc. were probably based on a bit of truth.
  • Reply 10 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Awesome, and here I was scared when my Stock Dashboard widget showed AAPL at $216 today.
  • Reply 11 of 98
    lukaslukas Posts: 11member
    if they dare to delay the international start of either the wifi only or the 3g ipad even more imma be a veeery pissed customer!
  • Reply 12 of 98
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Apple is really not that great at foreseeing demand.

I live in Europe in a country not on the first-to-go list.

Version 2 (with camera) will be out before it gets here..

And that really sucks because everyone at my company are getting one, like a present.

By the way.

In my country, we have 9 million citizens. 500,000 iPhones sold. We love that thing over here.

You would think Apple could show some gratitude and at least open up a regular Apple Store!!

</rant>
  • Reply 13 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm happy I stood in line for three hours last Friday. I was thinking of waiting until after the weekend, but now it looks like I made the right decision.

I've got a lot of programs for this already, and it's an amazing device. I haven't yet signed up for 3G though.

Everywhere I've taken it, people have played with it, and more than a few have said that while they heard of it, and even saw it on Tv or the web, this handling of it had made them decide to buy one.

I've never seen anything like that before, and that includes the reactions to my iPhone 3G. The fact that this doesn't require some kind of 2 year contract to someone makes a difference.
  • Reply 14 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Awesome, and here I was scared when my Stock Dashboard widget showed AAPL at $216 today.

Looks like that was a trader error according to CNBC.
  • Reply 15 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It looks like the iPad will have full reign for awhile longer as others wait for Adobe to get Flash working for their tablets.
    PS: Does anyone know of anyone that now wants to supplement a PC with a netbook? I don't. Everyone I know seems to want a tablet or some sort for satellite computing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

He would have just claimed that they were "all fanbot sheep" that were "sucking at the teat of Apple" buying their "mindless drivel" etc. etc.

NasserAE and Addabox both have aa nice Hierarchy of Effective Trolling list. No matter how well a company does the trolls have an answer that makes said company look bad.
  • Reply 16 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Looks like that was a trader error according to CNBC.

The problems with Greece is killing the market. Apple was down about $25 at one point.
  • Reply 17 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm happy I stood in line for three hours last Friday. I was thinking of waiting until after the weekend, but now it looks like I made the right decision.

I've got a lot of programs for this already, and it's an amazing device. I haven't yet signed up for 3G though.

Everywhere I've taken it, people have played with it, and more than a few have said that while they heard of it, and even saw it on Tv or the web, this handling of it had made them decide to buy one.

I've never seen anything like that before, and that includes the reactions to my iPhone 3G. The fact that this doesn't require some kind of 2 year contract to someone makes a difference.

That's what strikes me a lot. Everyone (+/-2%) that has used one says they want to buy it. Practically everyone who has not used one, says they would never want one until they touch is, when they love it too! This device sells itself, and I think supply will be strained for a long while yet.
  • Reply 18 of 98
    Quote:

The problems with Greece is killing the market. Apple was down about $25 at one point.

Greece is definitely a large factor, but there was a large error is seems that shot nearly all stocks down by a huge percentage, including the DOW down 1,000 points.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/36999483
  • Reply 19 of 98
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    And I'm kicking myself for not waiting in line last Friday. I went to the Biltmore store and there were maybe 15 people in line at 5PM. I could have waited 20 minutes and walked home with it. Instead, I decided to hop up to Best Buy (following the advice of TUAW) and got stuck in 1 hour of traffic, only to get to the Best Buy and find out they received 10 units, all of which sold by 5:05PM.

My secretary has one, and it really is a terrific device. Everyone says to me that it's nothing more than a "giant iPod Touch," and that does nothing an iPod doesn't already do. My response is "hell yeah, it's a giant Touch!" But that's a good thing, and it does everything the ipod does but better and faster.

Quote:

• Reply 20 of 98
    dougdoldedougdolde Posts: 53member
    I signed up on the 3G list in Chandler Arizona last Saturday afternoon. Still no notification.

Funny but I've sorta lost the urge to get one. Between my iPhone, Mac Pro, and 46" flat panel TV I am kinda maxed out consumption wise.

For road trips a 13" MBP would fit the bill better than an iPad. I'm not denying both would be nice but unfortunately my budget is currently limited.

Doug Dolde

www.douglasdolde.com