Mac OS X 10.6.4 to tackle issues with OpenGL, iPhoto, DVD Player

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The next update to Apple's Snow Leopard operating system will pick up where Mac OS X 10.6.3 left off by tackling compatibility issues with OpenGL-based applications and bandaging glitches with first- and third-party applications.

That's according to a list of code corrections that Apple provided to some developers on Thursday alongside the second external beta of Mac OS X 10.6.4, carrying build number 10F46. It arrived roughly one week after the Mac maker issued the first external pre-release copies of the Snow Leopard update, which focused on graphics drivers, Windows file sharing, USB devices and Voice Over.

While the focus areas remain relatively the same in Thursday's build, Apple added a fix for dropped connections with Cisco VPN and thus asked developers to evaluate the overall reliability of VPN connections under the beta.

According to developers testing Mac OS X 10.6.4, other fixes are also in the cards for pairing Apple remotes with Macs, graphics anomalies that surface when editing images in iPhoto's full-screen mode, and video playback in DVD Player.

Additional code corrections reportedly target glitches with Parental Controls, erratic USB keyboard behaviors, 3D animations, and problems launching Adobe CS3 applications like Photoshop and Illustrator.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

blah blah blah...after the Mac maker issued the first external pre-release copies of the Snow Leopard update, which focused on graphics drivers, Windows file sharing, USB devices and Voice Over....blah blah blah

Yes! Fix my wireless SMB file sharing.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Additional code corrections reportedly target glitches with Parental Controls, erratic USB keyboard behaviors, 3D animations, and problems launching Adobe CS3 applications like Photoshop and Illustrator.

Wow... there's hope that maybe I can move on from 10.6.2. Here I was thinking it was Adobe who had screwed up but I guess it was Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Any additional OpenGL support in this point update?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Hmmm Photoshop CS3 launhes an runs fine for me hmm
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jahadeemjahadeem Posts: 9member
    Quote:

While the focus areas remain relatively the same in Thursday's build, Apple added a fix for dropped connections with Cisco VPN and thus asked developers to evaluate the overall reliability of VPN connections under the beta.

I wonder if this VPN "fix" will also fix the problem I've been having getting the client to receive back a reply from the server (both Macs) through a Cisco (LinkSys) router.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jahadeemjahadeem Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Hmmm Photoshop CS3 launhes an runs fine for me hmm

I wonder if there's any chance they'll find a way to get the CS3 Acrobat Printer to work :/
  • Reply 7 of 13
    thebigd23thebigd23 Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Yes! Fix my wireless SMB file sharing.

Yes, a HUGE issue for me. I have a QNAP drive sitting there that I cannot copy to or from on two Macs. I should have gone back to .2, but I'll just wait for .4.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    By OGL issues, I hope they mean that they're adding full 3.2 support.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    paprochypaprochy Posts: 129member
    Does anyone know if they might be fixing the screen tearing/ vsync issue? When I play videos through my computer into my plasma I get some hardcore tearing, it's really quite sad
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jimoasejimoase Posts: 47member
    The transition from 10.3 to 10.4 created this problem with Mail rules; when more than 25 rules are entered the rules page will extend off the bottom of the page hiding the control buttons.

This problem has been reported and confirmed more than a dozen times yet remains. 10.6.4 would be an excellent upgrade to end this long standing tradition.

Jim
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    Great guys! you're really helping a hand!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    Ah! Now I know why I had to explain to my wife that it had something to do with the MacBook white, which I gave her for her birthday, why she couldn't access her work documents which are stored on University servers. I would certainly tell her that there has been worked on the issue.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I hope they fix the ridiculously retarded MacBook Pro wifi network dropping issue. Signal strength is crap but I assume it's the metal case. But the connection drops every 5-10 mins. Downloads constantly fail and videos stall out. I haven't tried Windows on it yet but I've read only OS X drops the connection. So it's software. I'm on the verge of returning this piece of crap for a MacBook but I'm going to wait on 10.6.4 first. Also an option to use only the Intel integrated graphics or only the Nvidia card, via a radio button in energy saver or display pref pane or something would be prime. I want to decide what is best for my use, not Apple. Since they have already written advanced drivers for this MBP dual-graphics setup I'd imagine simply adding that button would be a piece of cake! It'd be a huge deal for us MBP folks when on battery! Some apps activate the Nvidia card for no reason and that really eats battery. And leaving them open leaves the card on. I'm going to write a letter to Apple about these two issues on behalf of us 2010 MBP folks right now actually...

On the signal drop thing, it's amazing how many dozens of threads on Apple MacBook Pro Support Forums there are on the issue. I can't believe they still fudged up the MBP '10.