Apple announces iPad will launch in 9 more countries on May 28

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The iPad will be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the U.K. on Friday, May 28, Apple has announced [Updated with pricing].

Preorders for all iPad models, including both 3G and Wi-Fi, will begin next Monday, May 10. The international launch was previously delayed due to strong demand for the iPad in the U.S. The international iPad launch was originally scheduled for late April.

Further launches in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore will occur in July. Apple said it will announce launch dates for nine additional countries at a later date.

Update: Apple updated its press releases with international pricing for the iPad:

Wi-Fi-only iPad:

16GB - €479 Europe, £429 U.K., $549 Canadian, $629 Australian

32GB - €579 Europe, £499 U.K., $649 Canadian, $759 Australian

64GB - €679 Europe, £599 U.K., $749 Canadian, $879 Australian

Wi-Fi + 3G iPad

16GB - €579 Europe, £529 U.K., $679 Canadian, $799 Australian

32GB - €679 Europe, £599 U.K., $779 Canadian, $928 Australian

64GB - €779 Europe, £699 U.K., $879 Canadian, $1,049 Australian

Apple has already sold more than a million iPads in the U.S. over its first 28 days of availability, selling 300,000 on its first day alone. The Wi-Fi iPad launched on April 3, while the iPad 3G launched a week ago, on April 30.

Since the iPad 3G launched, Apple's U.S. retail stores have been sold out, while availability of the Wi-Fi model has been limited. Stores have resorted to adding customers to a "Notify Me" waiting list, which will give them first priority when new shipments arrive.

The first iPad customers have downloaded more than 12 million apps from the App Store, as well as more than 1.5 million e-books from the new iBookstore. The device runs 200,000 applications available on the App Store, including more than 5,000 created specifically for the device's 9.7-inch touchscreen display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 135
    lukaslukas Posts: 11member
    FINALLY some information!

now we'll just need the prices..but i guess i can wait another few days for that..
  • Reply 2 of 135
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    All I can say to Apple is 'build baby build.'
  • Reply 3 of 135
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Poor Ireland.
  • Reply 4 of 135
    wfrankwfrank Posts: 8member
    Apple can't even keep up with the demand in the us and will launch in 9 more countries on the 28th. Just doesn't seem too make much since!
  • Reply 5 of 135
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Oh for Christ's sake. I need one sooner that that.

Right thats it I'm gonna have to ship one over from the US.
  • Reply 6 of 135
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wfrank View Post

Apple can't even keep up with the demand in the us and will launch in 9 more countries on the 28th. Just doesn't seem too make much since!

There is widespread speculation that Apple's US supply problems are partly due to stockpiling for the international launch. I'm not sure how credible that is, but it has to launch sometime outside the US; they've been waiting long enough.
  • Reply 7 of 135
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Good thing! I already have the wi-fi but I wonder if I should buy the 3g. Did Rogers announced 3g pricing in Canada?

And this will ease off demand in the US has lots of units are going out of the US on ebay and by tourists.
  • Reply 8 of 135
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Oh, man. What can I say. The best I can hope for is they launch it here when they introduce the second gen.
  • Reply 9 of 135
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    I'm keen to know the prices.

Unfortunately, thanks to the Greeks spunking all their borrowed money up against a wall, and the uncertainty created by the UK's idiot electorate, the Pound has dived even further against the Dollar.

Cue horribly expensive iPads for us Brits. I should have got someone for our New York office to buy me one last month while my currency was still worth something. Bah...
  • Reply 10 of 135
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    I have read that prices in Spain will be:

WiFi: 16GB -> 479 ?

32 GB -> 579 ?

64GB -> 679 ?

3G: 16GB -> 579 ?

32 GB -> 679 ?

64GB -> 779 ?
  • Reply 11 of 135
    akselwakselw Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Oh, man. What can I say. The best I can hope for is they launch it here when they introduce the second gen.

You should have bought one from the states like us other Norwegians. Getting mine on Sunday
  • Reply 12 of 135
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    July, wow.

I'll have to wait. The upside is that the device is thoroughly field tested by then.
  • Reply 13 of 135
    marikmarik Posts: 26member
    Pricing -

Europe:

16GB WiFi-only €479

32GB WiFi-only €579

64GB WiFi-only €679

16GB WiFi+3G €579

32GB WiFi+3G €679

64GB WiFi+3G €779

UK:

16GB WiFi-only £429

32GB WiFi-only £499

64GB WiFi-only £599

16GB WiFi+3G £529

32GB WiFi+3G £599

64GB WiFi+3G £699
  • Reply 14 of 135
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    So waiting for generation two then..... no reason to buy generation one when it will arrive later than July....

Hopefully we will get next generation iPhone before 2015.

And yes, that was an exaggeration.
  • Reply 15 of 135
    dazzas76dazzas76 Posts: 1member
    iPad Pricing in Australia

http://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html

Wi-Fi

16GB - AUS$629 inc GST

32GB - AUS$759 inc GST

64GB - AUS$879 inc GST

Wi-Fi +3G

16GB - AUS$799 inc GST

32GB - AUS$928 inc GST

64GB - AUS$1049 inc GST
  • Reply 16 of 135
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marik View Post

UK:

16GB WiFi-only £429

32GB WiFi-only £499

64GB WiFi-only £599

16GB WiFi+3G £529

32GB WiFi+3G £599

64GB WiFi+3G £699

Is that official? There's been a lot of speculation that the basic model would be £389.

Not that it matters to me. I'm definitely going to wait for the 2nd generation model.
  • Reply 17 of 135
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Oh for Christ's sake. I need one sooner that that.

Right thats it I'm gonna have to ship one over from the US.

And you'll still pay a lot less even after import taxes. I'm still waiting for pricing info ("infos") in Switzerland. Bet it's at least 150% the US price.
  • Reply 18 of 135
    polar315polar315 Posts: 76member
    Was in Florida last week and walked past someone that had an iPad out. Being a total geek asked to take a look at it. Was very impressed but did not get a chance to hold it and play with it myself. It was the 3G model and the guy had rec'd it right before his vacation and was forbidden to take it. He had to sneak out to use it

Crossing the border the Canadian border guard asked the usual questions but ended with "did you buy a new iPad?". Said no but had taken a look at one. My wife mentioned that a friend of hers flew in from NY 2 week earlier and had been asked the same questions (she had in fact purchased one).

If the customs agents are asking you if you bought one must mean they are pouring over the border like crazy...
  • Reply 19 of 135
    mhsrmhsr Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

And you'll still pay a lot less even after import taxes. I'm still waiting for pricing info ("infos") in Switzerland. Bet it's at least 150% the US price.

Prices in Switzerland will be approx. 750.- Swiss Francs for the basic 3G Model (considered the Euro price in Germany). So this would be a good deal (at least for me!). Unfortunately there is no Apple store (yet) in Basle (there will be by 2012).
  • Reply 20 of 135
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

Was in Florida last week and walked past someone that had an iPad out. Being a total geek asked to take a look at it. Was very impressed but did not get a chance to hold it and play with it myself. It was the 3G model and the guy had rec'd it right before his vacation and was forbidden to take it. He had to sneak out to use it

Crossing the border the Canadian border guard asked the usual questions but ended with "did you buy a new iPad?". Said no but had taken a look at one. My wife mentioned that a friend of hers flew in from NY 2 week earlier and had been asked the same questions (she had in fact purchased one).

If the customs agents are asking you if you bought one must mean they are pouring over the border like crazy...

If you go to the US for more than 7 days you may used your up to CAN$750 worth of goods personnal deduction so you wont pay taxes on it. I declared mine and had to pay GST and PST on it, which is around 14%. I am going to Florida for 3 weeks this summer, I may do just that if I buy another one.

Still waiting on AppleCanada to release prices