Wi-Fi

16GB - AUS$629 inc GST

32GB - AUS$759 inc GST

64GB - AUS$879 inc GST

Wi-Fi +3G

16GB - AUS$799 inc GST

32GB - AUS$928 inc GST

64GB - AUS$1049 inc GST

In order to simplify comparisons to the US prices, may I suggest that prices be converted to US$ less any taxes.

For example, according to your posting, the 16GB model in Australia is equivalent to $510 US.
    $629 Aust = $561 US less 10% GST = Net $510 US
  • Reply 22 of 135
    einsteinbqateinsteinbqat Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If you go to the US for more than 7 days you may used your up to CAN$750 worth of goods personnal deduction so you wont pay taxes on it. I declared mine and had to pay GST and PST on it, which is around 14%. I am going to Florida for 3 weeks this summer, I may do just that if I buy another one.

Still waiting on AppleCanada to release prices

They already did. Just read the Canadian press release.

Here: http://www.apple.com/ca/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html

Prices:

16GB: Wi-Fi $CAD549, 3G $CAD679;

32GB: Wi-Fi $CAD649, 3G $CAD779;

64GB: Wi-Fi $CAD749, 3G $CAD879.
  • Reply 23 of 135
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Is that official? There's been a lot of speculation that the basic model would be £389.

Not that it matters to me. I'm definitely going to wait for the 2nd generation model.

Yes it is official :-

http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html

What is interesting is this statement :-

"The iBooks app for iPad including Apple’s iBookstore will be available as a free download from the App Store on May 28th."

Now I thought it might be a typo as the iPad page in the UK still does not mention iBooks, so I contacted the Apple press office and they confirmed that the statement is correct.

So it looks like they have managed to set up some UK publisher deals......
  • Reply 24 of 135
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marik View Post

Pricing -

UK:

16GB WiFi-only £429

32GB WiFi-only £499

64GB WiFi-only £599

16GB WiFi+3G £529

32GB WiFi+3G £599

64GB WiFi+3G £699

Hmmm, only 30 quid more than I initially predicted (when FX was more favourable to the UK). So, not too bad.

Now, the question for me is, do I go for the WiFi only 32GB and jailbreak my iPhone and use MyWi, or the 16GB 3G, and carry fewer vids and photos. Or, option 3, lie to my wife about how much I spent!

Ah, decisions
  • Reply 25 of 135
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

They already did. Just read the Canadian press release.

Here: http://www.apple.com/ca/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html

Prices:

16GB: Wi-Fi $CAD549, 3G $CAD679;

32GB: Wi-Fi $CAD649, 3G $CAD779;

64GB: Wi-Fi $CAD749, 3G $CAD879.

Our dollar is at 98 cents yet we still pay 10% more for the base model! Humbug!
  • Reply 26 of 135
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The problem is the exchange rates are fluctuating so much. Just yesterday, the rate was 95¢.
  • Reply 27 of 135
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Good thing! I already have the wi-fi but I wonder if I should buy the 3g. Did Rogers announced 3g pricing in Canada?

And this will ease off demand in the US has lots of units are going out of the US on ebay and by tourists.

Right up to this moment, No. http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/ipad...om-end-of-may/

I have their site bookmarked: http://redboard.rogers.com/
  • Reply 28 of 135
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    Fifty dollar markup on Canadian prices, huh? Is it still the nineties? My mistake if it is. Someone please tell me so I know to pick up a 9600 before I leave for my own timeline.
  • Reply 29 of 135
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    whoaa.... NO HK?!?!?!?! Cannot believe it!!!
  • Reply 30 of 135
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's good they were able to work out book publishing rights in most of those countries. The books are one of the main features imho.
  • Reply 31 of 135
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    You can't just use exchange rates to compare prices. Different countries have different sales taxes and different operating costs (e.g. Apple Store staff might be more expensive)
  • Reply 32 of 135
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member
    Thailand is not even on the list yet...looks like I'm going to have to go get it in Australia
  • Reply 33 of 135
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

It's a bargain! Apple knows it'll cost you more than 10% extra to drive over to the US, buy it here, declare it at Canadian customs, and pay the duty!
  • Reply 34 of 135
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

In order to simplify comparisons to the US prices, may I suggest that prices be converted to US$ less any taxes.

For example, according to your posting, the 16GB model in Australia is equivalent to $510 US.
    $629 Aust = $561 US less 10% GST = Net $510 US

Quote:

Read up everyone, Onhka explained this. Prices in the U.S. do not reflect sales taxes, which vary by state, county and even city. Prices in other countries include VAT or other form of national consumption tax.
  • Reply 35 of 135
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

You can't just use exchange rates to compare prices. Different countries have different sales taxes and different operating costs (e.g. Apple Store staff might be more expensive)

So, my thinking is, buy a US 32 GB 3G for $729 before tax. Avoid the tax somehow (I believe you can do this buying online somehow -- happy to be educated by our US friends here); and ship to my company's NY offices. Get friendly colleague to pop iPad in the 'internal' mail and have it shipped over.

Worst case scenario, it'll be picked up by UK Customs and I'll have to pay VAT on it (at some notional base price they come up with). No import duty to pay, 'cos certain wireless devices are (for some reason) exempt.

So, I reckon it'd cost me somewhere between £500 and £550; as opposed to the £599 it would cost me in the UK. Not massively cheaper, but not to be sniffed at.
  • Reply 36 of 135
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

So, my thinking is, buy a US 32 GB 3G for $729 before tax. Avoid the tax somehow (I believe you can do this buying online somehow -- happy to be educated by our US friends here); and ship to my company's NY offices. Get friendly colleague to pop iPad in the 'internal' mail and have it shipped over.

Worst case scenario, it'll be picked up by UK Customs and I'll have to pay VAT on it (at some notional base price they come up with). No import duty to pay, 'cos certain wireless devices are (for some reason) exempt.

So, I reckon it'd cost me somewhere between £500 and £550; as opposed to the £599 it would cost me in the UK. Not massively cheaper, but not to be sniffed at.

You will pay sales taxes in New York at point of sale, so subtract 8-10% from your "savings."

Probably someone from NY knows their state's exact sales tax rate.
  • Reply 37 of 135
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Be interesting to see what the prices here in Japan will be.
  • Reply 38 of 135
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Read up everyone, Onhka explained this. Prices in the U.S. do not reflect sales taxes, which vary by state, county and even city. Prices in other countries include VAT or other form of national consumption tax.

so wtf good is the free trade agreement if we pay international tax anyway

Softwood Lumber all over again!

(insert Hardwood Lumber joke here)

edit: they are made in China anyway, which is what rips me off.
  • Reply 39 of 135
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Okay but is VAT included in Canadian pricing? In Australia for example, all taxes are covered in the price, which makes the 16GB Australian model about parity with the US model (if the US price isn't allowing for taxes).

Best.

(Just noted further discussion of this!)
  • Reply 40 of 135
    dlcmhdlcmh Posts: 43member
    Apple, don't forget about us!