iPhone market share grows to 16% at expense of BlackBerry

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's 8.75 million iPhones sold in the first quarter of 2010 were good for a 16.1 percent worldwide market share, taken at the expense of Research in Motion's BlackBerry smartphones.

Apple's market share in the first calendar quarter of 2010 was still behind RIM's 19.4 percent, according to the latest Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker from IDC, released Friday. But among the top five global smartphone makers, only RIM lost market share when compared to the first quarter of 2009, as the BlackBerry maker was down from 20.9 percent a year prior.

RIM's loss of market share came despite a 45.2 percent year-over-year increase in shipments, going from 7.3 million in 2009 to 10.6 million in 2010. But Apple nearly tripled that growth, skyrocketing 131.6 percent year-over-year, with 3.8 million iPhone shipments in the first quarter of 2009 becoming 8.8 million to start 2010.

"Apple more than doubled its shipments from a year ago, with more iPhones arriving outside its home territory of North America," IDC's report read. "CEO Steve Jobs announced the latest operating system update, enabling multi-tasking, folders, enhanced email, iBooks for consumers, and iAd, a mobile advertising platform, for developers. A fourth generation iPhone is expected to arrive this summer."

In April, Apple revealed that it sold a record 8.75 million iPhones in the span stretching from January through March. That was even better than the 8.7 million iPhones sold in the previous holiday quarter.

While RIM lost market share in the first quarter of 2010, HTC and Motorola joined Apple in making gains over last year. HTC's smartphone shipments grew 73.3 percent to 2.6 million, earning the Taiwanese handset maker a 4.8 percent share. And Motorola shipped 2.3 million smartphones, up 91.7 percent from 2009, to earn it a 4.2 percent market share.

The market leader, Nokia, saw its shipments grow 56.9 percent to 21.5 million units worldwide. That was enough to keep its 2010 market share flat with 2009, at 39.3 percent.

In all, growth of the smartphone market in the first quarter was more than double that of overall mobile phone growth. The 54.7 million total shipped units was up 56.7 percent from the same quarter a year ago.

"2010 looks to be another year of large-scale consumer adoption of converged mobile devices," said Ramon Llamas, senior research analyst with IDC?s Mobile Devices Technology and Trends team. "Consumers will gravitate to smartphones not just because the devices themselves look 'cool' and 'slick', but because the overall experience aligns with their individual tastes and demands. Users are seeking -- and finding -- experiences that are intuitive, seamless, and fun."

In February, IDC revealed that Apple's iPhone was the No. 3 smartphone in all of 2009 with a 14.4 percent market share. During the 12-month span, iPhone shipments surged 81.9 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I predict in the next 24 months, Nokia and Apple would have switched places on these charts
  • Reply 2 of 55
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Nokia is all over the place.

RIM thinks it' still 2007.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Look at the sales growth of the entire top 5 and the industry in general. This is far from a zero-sum game. We have multiple winners here.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Everyone I knew with a BB has switched to an iPhone and many who were very vocal in support of their BBs now say the 'love their iPhone and would never go back'. A familiar phrase from PC switchers.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Nokia is all over the place.

RIM thinks it' still 2007.

Brilliant!

And both could be said about Adobe!
  • Reply 6 of 55
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I predict in the next 24 months, Nokia and Apple would have switched places on these charts

I predict that in the next 24 months, iOS and Android "will have" switched places in the smartphone OS charts.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Look at the sales growth of the entire top 5 and the industry in general. This is far from a zero-sum game. We have multiple winners here.

Yes indeed. And I like that AI included lots and lots of the raw data.

The story is dense with information.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    The iPhone can make it in the enterprise market?

Listening to the Apple haters I wouldn't think this would be possible.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Actually I thought iPhone sales had "stalled out" and "plateaued" and "slumped"? Right?

There were a number of people on these boards that had seized on some transient stat about US market share and made it immediately into a piece of conventional wisdom, starting posts with variants on "Now that iPhone sales are going nowhere, Android is poised....." or "Since the iPhone has peaked, look for big gains from Android...." etc.

And every one of those people will just ignore the latest figures, wait it out, and be back with the same aggressive bullshit the next time there's the slightest downbeat news about iPhone sales. Because being on the internet means never having to say you're sorry.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    kansaskansas Posts: 17member
    I live in the 3% of the USA population not covered by AT&T Wireless. In fact, Verizon is the only wireless provider that has decent coverage where I live in work. Originally started as Kansas Cellular which was bought by Alltel which was bought by Verizon.

I've been one of those hoping for an iPhone on Verizon. However, it wouldn't seem like that would be much of a possibility until 4G networks become prevalent on AT&T and Verizon. Obviously as they are now they are incompatible networks, plus even if Apple did make a CDMA iPhone, it wouldn't support voice and data at the same time, a big selling point for the AT&T/Apple partnership.

I enjoy my iPod Touch, and when I do take it places where I have wifi access, it is really great having mobile Safari in my hand. My Blackberry Curve works fine for email, but the small screen is a little bit cramped, especially for web stuff, and anyways, its browser is not nearly as good as Safari.

What really are the chances that iPhone would come to Verizon in the next year or so (when my current phone contract is up for renewal, by the middle/end of 2011)? If no Verizon iPhone, what would you say is the best phone to have on Verizon? Doing a fair job, or better, syncing with a Mac would be important to me.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Sometimes, our desire to put Apple in a "better light" make us accept deceptive analysis, as if they are facts. And this data is a case in point.

Let us take two extreme examples

Phone 1

2010 1stQ => 6,000

2009 1stQ => 1,000

Difference => 5,000

% Growth => 500%

Phone 2

2010 1stQ => 2,000,000

2009 1stQ => 1,000,000

Difference => 1,000,000

% Growth => 100%

It seems that Phone 1 is having a remarkable growth, and it is at 500% per year. But to suggest that it is having a better year than Phone 2 because the latter only has 100% growth per year is not accurate analysis, especially when you focus solely of the percent (%) annual growth.

In fact: Assume that Phone 1 would be able to grow at a remarkable pace of 500% per year for the next five years, and Phone 2 also has an annual growth rate of 100% per year the next five years. You might think that Phone 1 would surpass Phone 2, after five (5) years. But that is not the case. After five (5) years:

Phone 1

2014 1stQ => 7,776,000

2009 1stQ => 1,000

Difference => 7,775,000

% Growth => 777,500%

Phone 2

2014 1stQ => 32,000,000

2009 1stQ => 1,000,000

Difference => 31,000,000

% Growth => 3,000%

As you can see, the percent (%) growth of Phone 1 (777,500%) is phenomenal with respect to Phone 2 (3,000%). However, Phone 2 would still remain the premier phone manufacturer.

To relate this to the data presented. The annual growth of iPhone wrt to Nokia and RIMM seems to be remarkable 132% (Apple) vs 57% (Nokia) and 45% (RIMM). However, the actual net change between Nokia and iPhone, in terms of units sold is still remarkably in favor of Nokia by a wide margin.

http://images.appleinsider.com/idc-100507.png

Can the iPhone keep up with Nokia and RIMM? The iPhone may or may not keep up with the other phone makers. It is even possible that the total Android smartphones may surpass the iPhone, if it has not already done so.

The analogy here is the case of computers, where Apple primary goal is not to become the major computer manufacturer. Steve Jobs has already conceded this to the Wintel companies.

The main difference is in the profit margin where the Apple iPhone beats all the competition. The profit margin difference is the reason why the iPhone may be eclipsed by all the top five major phone makers; and yet, the net profit of Apple from the iPhone may still eclipse or not much lower than the combined profit of the other manufacturers. Another good example of this is the net profit of Apple in the Mac computers vs the combined computer component profit of the other computer manufacturers -- even if the latter combined constitute 80-90% of the total computers manufactured.

CGC
  • Reply 12 of 55
    alphajack7alphajack7 Posts: 97member
    Lots of Blackberry users were kind of snooty because their Fortune 500 company gave them the device. Now they are feeling left out of the latest technology.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Can someone explain why is it that Nokia still holds such a large market share overseas? Every single review of their phones for the past two years has been poor. Out of all the smartphone OSs, I'd choose Symbian last. Am I missing something here?
  • Reply 14 of 55
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member
    Hmm. With that level of growth, Apple are going to steamroller RIM into third place and take 2nd from what's left of their crushed carcass.

...and it's a matter of time before they chase down Nokia and their crappy mobile OS.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I predict that in the next 24 months, iOS and Android "will have" switched places in the smartphone OS charts.

*pointing to William*

I want what he's smoking!!!

APPLE IS DOOMED™ !!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 55
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Can someone explain why is it that Nokia still holds such a large market share overseas? Every single review of their phones for the past two years has been poor. Out of all the smartphone OSs, I'd choose Symbian last. Am I missing something here?

They have cellphones in almost most every segment, from cheap candybar to geeklicious smartphone like the N97. Kinda like the Chinese Army of the cell industry - they don't have to dazzle you with superior weaponry when they can overrun you with sheer numbers.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    jsyedinakjsyedinak Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kansas View Post

I live in the 3% of the USA population not covered by AT&T Wireless. In fact, Verizon is the only wireless provider that has decent coverage where I live in work. Originally started as Kansas Cellular which was bought by Alltel which was bought by Verizon.

I've been one of those hoping for an iPhone on Verizon. However, it wouldn't seem like that would be much of a possibility until 4G networks become prevalent on AT&T and Verizon. Obviously as they are now they are incompatible networks, plus even if Apple did make a CDMA iPhone, it wouldn't support voice and data at the same time, a big selling point for the AT&T/Apple partnership.

I enjoy my iPod Touch, and when I do take it places where I have wifi access, it is really great having mobile Safari in my hand. My Blackberry Curve works fine for email, but the small screen is a little bit cramped, especially for web stuff, and anyways, its browser is not nearly as good as Safari.

What really are the chances that iPhone would come to Verizon in the next year or so (when my current phone contract is up for renewal, by the middle/end of 2011)? If no Verizon iPhone, what would you say is the best phone to have on Verizon? Doing a fair job, or better, syncing with a Mac would be important to me.

I manage our telecom devices where we are standard on Verizon due to coverage and am also an Apple FBoy. I estimate that the chances of a Verizon Iphone by next Summer at around 70% and by year-end about 90%. As an alternative the Android devices such as the just-released HTC Incredible are very nice for their platform but make no mistake - they do not give you the same excellent experience and user interface as an Apple Device and currently the Apps are only about half as good.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    So this is all smartphone data right?

I think it should be made clear on the top of the chart, rather than being so clipped with little context information about it.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Care to place any bets on this?
  • Reply 20 of 55
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    @ author

How about some figures on smartphone vs other cell phone sales/% ??

ALSO: your headline is a bit misleading. It seems that Apple got most of their gain from the "Other" group, though significant gain from RIMM.