Orange UK iPad 3G monthly data plans run £15 for 3GB, £25 for 10GB

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Wireless carrier Orange U.K. gave the first glimpse at international 3G data plans for Apple's iPad, with four different pricing options, including a pay-as-you-go price plan.

Users can pay monthly for what they use, at a cost of 5 pence (7 cents U.S.) per megabyte through the Orange plan. Daily plans, offering up to 250MB of use, cost £2 ($2.94), while a weekly plan with 1GB of bandwidth runs £7.50 ($11.01 U.S.).

A recurring monthly plan with 3GB of 3G data and unlimited browsing at Wi-Fi hotspots costs £15 ($22.02 U.S.), while a £25 ($36.71 U.S.) plan offers 10GB of monthly bandwidth. Activation of any Orange iPad data plan also earns customers a £10 credit for use at any time.

Orange U.K.'s iPad 3G tailored data plans will be offered starting Monday, May 10, the same day the iPad is available for preorder internationally. Users can also preregister for an iPad-compatible MicroSIM at Orange.co.uk/iPad.

Orange UK will offer tailored 3G data plans for iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, from 10th May, and will launch a pre-registration site for SIMs at Orange.co.uk/iPad.

For comparison, AT&T offers iPad users two data plans in the U.S.: $15-per-month for a 250MB cap, and $30 for unlimited access. Orange's plans do not include an unlimited option, though both companies' plans offer Wi-Fi hotspot access.

In the U.S., most data-only plans on wireless carriers run $60-per-month, and often come with subsidized hardware that is discounted in exchange for a contract commitment. Apple's iPad is unsubsidized, with the 3G model costing an extra $130 in the U.S. and £100 in the U.K. over the Wi-Fi-only counterparts.

Apple announced earlier Friday that both the Wi-Fi and 3G models will be available in nine new countries, including the U.K., on May 28. Nine more countries will see the device in July. Apple has delayed and staggered the international launch of the iPad due to strong demand for the hardware in the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    There is some fleecing going on methinks
  • Reply 2 of 23
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    £15/ 3GB is the same as the 3 network offer for their mifi on a 1 month contract or PAYG so they're market rates.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

£15/ 3GB is the same as the 3 network offer for their mifi on a 1 month contract or PAYG so they're market rates.

Then there is wide scale fleeing going on
  • Reply 4 of 23
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

There is some fleecing going on methinks

True but the reality distortion field exchange rate makes it look like a good deal.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

True but the reality distortion field exchange rate makes it look like a good deal.

I would jump on their 3GB plan over our 250MB plan.

$15 / 250 megabytes = $0.06 per megabyte.

$22.02 / 3000 megabytes = $0.007 per megabyte.

An order of magnitude cheaper, and I could live well on 3GB a month + WiFi.

And metered use at $0.07 is more attractive as well. The 251st megabyte on AT&T costs you $15. At Orange it's just another $0.07.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Good enough for me. I'm on O2 for the iPhone and also have a monthly contract with Orange. The PAYG option is good way to try out the coverage as well since ALL UK networks (not just AT&T, /sarcastic) have plan to offer their own tariffs.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Seems like a decent enough deal to me. I'm interested to see what Vodafone offer, as they'll probably be the guys I go with if I decide to get a 3G iPad. Partly because their coverage is better, and partly because they sponsor McLaren!
  • Reply 8 of 23
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    I wonder if we will be able to take our iPads to, say Japan, and but a Japanese data plan while we are there?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

I wonder if we will be able to take our iPads to, say Japan, and but a Japanese data plan while we are there?

Short answer - iPads are unlocked so yes.

The logistics and cost of acquiring the requisite micro sim and PAYG plan who knows.

I'm still shuttering to thing what the rates will be from Rogers in Canada or maybe Bell or maybe Telus.

Odds are this great multi carrier system we have in this country will result in all 3 charging the same ridiculously high rate.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Damn you at&t. Markets outside US are offering better pricing, and apple extended their exclusivity just because at&t gave them half off. Aggggg. C'mon
  • Reply 11 of 23
    smallwheelssmallwheels Posts: 584member
    How Does One Measure Internet Usage? At home I have a DSL line and stream audio 24 hours per day except for when I'm watching videos. Is there a program or method I could use to determine just how much bandwidth I utilize?

Smallwheels
  • Reply 12 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

The logistics and cost of acquiring the requisite micro sim and PAYG plan who knows.

Not sure about data plans but a MicroSIM takes seconds to make from a MiniSIM, the currently common SIM card used.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    shigzeoshigzeo Posts: 78member
    The UK price of the iPad is over 100$ more per lowest end model, so they had damn well better have good data plans. The current USA ATT plans are ridiculous.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    I still want to know why these threads aren't being posted in the iPad forum. It's infuriating and makes the forums a mess.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

I would jump on their 3GB plan over our 250MB plan.

$15 / 250 megabytes = $0.06 per megabyte.

$22.02 / 3000 megabytes = $0.007 per megabyte.

An order of magnitude cheaper, and I could live well on 3GB a month + WiFi.

And metered use at $0.07 is more attractive as well. The 251st megabyte on AT&T costs you $15. At Orange it's just another $0.07.

Look at it the other way, for heavy usage.

$30 / Unlimited = $Depends on usage

$36.71 / 10GB = $0.003671 per megabyte.

As long as you're using more than 8.2GB, the US plan is cheaper. If you're using a LOT of data, the US plan is WAAAY cheaper.

Personally, I think anyone accepting a limited data plan on the iPad is going to be shocked when their bill comes round. I would never settle for anything less that an unlimited plan. The AT&T plan looks pretty good, for the US.

I'm currently paying $25 per month for unlimited 3G HDSPA/2G WAP data.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Rogers (Canada) as of today: http://redboard.rogers.com/?s=ipad
  • Reply 17 of 23
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Here's some early usage experience that may be helpful. My wife and I have been on a long road trip since getting our 3Gs the afternoon they went on sale. We used wifi at our kids' place in Florida and at all the motels since then, but wireless in the car, most restaurants, etc. That's meant quite a bit of wireless use for map searches and nav, motel search/booking and all sorts of tourist searches like looking up how we could make the most of our time visiting the Civil War battleground in Gettysburg. So with one full week under our belt, here are the wireless numbers to date:

Wife - received 140 MB, sent 10MB.

Me - received 178MB, sent 12MB.

We did not download any music, movies or videos by 3G except possibly a short YouTube video or two. Those would have chewed up gobs of wireless usage. We chose the 250MB minimum monthly AT&T plan for $14.95/mo, which makes sense for starters since we can buy the $30/mo unlimited plan at any time if necessary. We'll be home in a couple days, however, using our home wifi network, so it'll be interesting to see whether we cross the 250MB threshold for the month.

3G iPad owners who plan to use their units at home most of the time and have broadband service already should especially consider buying a wireless router if they don't already have one. A reasonably priced wireless-N router can pay for itself in four months at a $15/mo savings with the 250MB AT&T plan. Besides, movies and other content will download faster than by 3G.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

The UK price of the iPad is over 100$ more per lowest end model, so they had damn well better have good data plans. The current USA ATT plans are ridiculous.

You do realise that the UK prices include tax and the USA prices exclude tax.

If you remove the tax from the UK price making the comparison fair, then the base model is only $35 more.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

You do realise that the UK prices include tax and the USA prices exclude tax.

If you remove the tax from the UK price making the comparison fair, then the base model is only $35 more.

which is very good price for a UK market that is much smaller than the biggest consumer market in the world.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    The US 3G data pricing looks somewhat ridiculous in comparison to the UK pricing. I am sure that other operators will offer even better deals here, because Apple cannot impose one-carrier rules like it does in the US. Ironic that Europe leads the US in pro-competitive practices, while the US leads in pro-competitive rhetoric ...