Apple developing Flash alternative named Gianduia

Comments

• Reply 21 of 273
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

A name is like a joke. If it needs to be explained it isn't any good.

What a wonderfully apt analogy! Congratulations, that made my day.

On the other hand, since this is not a mass consumer level product, and will only be used by cognoscenti, it might actually work: an insider name for an insider group.
  • Reply 22 of 273
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Off topic, but this is quite an ad I just saw on the AI homepage.

• Reply 23 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

What a wonderfully apt analogy! Congratulations, that made my day.

On the other hand, since this is not a mass consumer level product, and will only be used by cognoscenti, it might actually work: an insider name for an insider group.

I vote for CocoaButter or TextualChocolate.
  • Reply 24 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

He definitely has a point though, and it's gone unnoticed for a long time. In landscape mode the mobile site is unusable. It's really hard to believe anyone at AI has used the mobile version on an iPhone. I constantly have to scroll-adjust to get the banners off the text I'm trying to read. Having to switch to the regular site is a pain. They should fix it !

Here's another vote for a new iPhone site. The current one is very bad. Please, even an offline app like TUAW, Switched, or Engadget would be better, and even welcome. But the online site still needs to be fixed.
  • Reply 25 of 273
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    [QUOTE=Smiles77;1628454]Off topic, but this is quite an ad I just saw on the AI homepage./QUOTE]

Ah, the inventiveness of advertisers. The "test" will doubtlessly be after the phone is released.
  • Reply 26 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

I'd like to see Apple make a Dreamweaver like HTML5 development program. It would make a nice addition to their pro apps suite.

While I'd like this, I think Adobe is in a much better position to do this. They could even further their sales of Flash Professional by having it output standards-based HTML/JS/CSS for newer browsers and Flash as a fallback for older browsers. After all, they make their money on the pro app sales, not the free plug-in.
  • Reply 27 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Ah, the inventiveness of advertisers. The "test" will doubtlessly be after the phone is released.

When I see things like this, I gotta shake my head at the way the world turns. The worst thing is, I know a whole lot of people who would get sucked into this kinda thing. Sad world we live in, especially when something like that is legal.
  • Reply 28 of 273
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

first, change the name. we can't champion something we can't even pronounce. that's why the iceland volcano never went viral.

John Dula.... like in:

Hang down your head John Dula,

Hang down your head and cry!

Hang down your head John Dula,

For boy, you're bound to die:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the...io/id315887468

Song # 2, Tom Dooley

• Reply 29 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You get to keep 70% for applications. For ads, you get to keep 60%. Think of how much money you'll save on your taxes.

Actually, the 70:30 split is actually very good - considering how much more revenue you're likely to have on the App Store for these 'mini-apps' compared to doing it yourself.

I'll second that. Or even just a version of iWeb that's not so limited. Like the fact that you can't open your iWeb site with a different web editor.

The next version of iWeb will include a shopping cart that allows visitors to use their iTunes account to purchase items.

...that otta' stir the pot!

• Reply 30 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

I'd like to see Apple make a Dreamweaver like HTML5 development program. It would make a nice addition to their pro apps suite.

No, actually, they should leave that for Adobe (for at least a year), then, if still no solution...

• Reply 31 of 273
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    "John-Do-Ya" is pretty close as far as I can tell.

Not overly difficult to say, but I agree they could have picked a better word.
  • Reply 32 of 273
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

IPlease please delete your excessively large sig font. You can choose to view as Full Site instead of iPhone.

Clicked on • http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=109366 and voted 'Agree!'
  • Reply 33 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

OK Solip...I click on the link in your signature...but how do I vote 'agree?'

The poll says you did vote 'Agree'.
  • Reply 34 of 273
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

While I'd like this, I think Adobe is in a much better position to do this.

Not a chance. They'd have to admit that Flash isn't God's gift to the Internet before they'd want to develop anything else.
  • Reply 35 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not a chance. They'd have to admit that Flash isn't God's gift to the Internet before they'd want to develop anything else.

Absolutely, there is a lot of hubris to get past, and surprised I forgot to include that as a reason why they won't do it until it's too late. My point was that between Flash Professional and Dreamweaver they are in the best position to offer a great solution.
  • Reply 36 of 273
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    make sure it works with firefox. Maybe someone can clear it up for me, is this Gianduia just a development tool/software for html5, or is this some sort of standard for HTML5 or something completely different. I don't really want another plugin.
  • Reply 37 of 273
    jwervel16jwervel16 Posts: 40member
    Erm, the name / joke analogy is actually a little boneheaded. How many hugely successful products and companies of the last decade have nonsensical names? I don't even need to provide an example. Your style of thinking might be better suited to hygiene accessory manufacturers.
  • Reply 38 of 273
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    The header is misleading. What Sproutcore and others trying to do has nothing to do with Flash.

And until HW acceleration is available on all browser. ( Like IE 9 ), Flash is still faster for animation..

The question that no one has answered is why Apple sponsored two Javascript Development framework? SproutCore and Gianduia both seems to offer the same thing.
  • Reply 39 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

make sure it works with firefox. Maybe someone can clear it up for me, is this Gianduia just a development tool/software for html5, or is this some sort of standard for HTML5 or something completely different. I don't really want another plugin.

It's not a plugin, as the article mentions many times.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

The header is misleading. What Sproutcore and others trying to do has nothing to do with Flash.

It has everything to do with Flash (and Silverlight). If these rich web interaction can be handled by efficient and easily coded JS then there is no need for Flash (or Silverlight) for that same task. It doesn't have to do EVERYTHING Flash can do to pick away at it's usage and become prominent. Just look at the number of sites moving to HTML5 for video over Flash, and that is the start.

Quote:

And until HW acceleration is available on all browser. ( Like IE 9 ), Flash is still faster for animation.

It doesn't have to be available for ALL browsers before it can be effective. Between WebKit-based browsers have a monopoly on mobile browsers and Firefox's market-share on the desktop I think that WebGL will have enough marketshare to be useful for those wanting to include animations. I don't see how Flash could possibly be faster (ie: resource efficient) than Flash. This is still new stuff and Flash isn't going away, but the facts are there are plenty of attacks on Flash on many fronts to which it will not be able to defend.
  • Reply 40 of 273
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Quote:

It has everything to do with Flash (and Silverlight).

Not really ? He's right and this is a very frustrating articles for several reasons. First the headline implies that Apple is developing some kind of Flash alternative. This has nothing to do with Flash and isn't being developed for market. As the article states, this was shown almost a year ago. Gianduia is just the codename of one of the five or so internal JavaScript frameworks that Apple has created to support some of the applications they're building. Apple employs Cocoa developers, so it advantageous for them to have web frameworks that mimic Cocoa frameworks.

This is in the same class as Cappuccino and SproutCore and I've never heard of them being billed as Flash replacements. They're for building better Gmail-like apps, which Flash has never really played a big part in.

Quote:

Between WebKit-based browsers have a monopoly on mobile browsers and Firefox's market-share on the desktop I think that WebGL will have enough marketshare to be useful for those wanting to include animations.

WebGL (based on OpenGL ES) is a very deep API and I don't expect most web developers will pick it up any time soon. It's not really suited to just including a few animations on a page but rather providing a full shader-based, graphics programming pipeline. It'll be helpful for doing things like scientific visualizations or certain kinds of games. For the kinds of animations Flash is mostly used for, most benchmarks show that Canvas+JavaScript is more than performant. And it'll only get faster.

Anyway, my point is that AI is trying to position this as some kind of Flash alternative possibly desktop tool people can use to create Flash-like content and that may be released later this year. It's not ? it's a rich application JavaScript framework they've used internally and might possibly be open sourced for others to use like SproutCore. Programming essentially in Objective-C patterns with Cocoa-like API's while writing JavaScript is not going to appeal to the Flash programming crowd.