iPhone OS 4 betas show new iPad-style spelling features

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Developers familiar with the iPhone 4.0 beta report that the new firmware brings spellcheck and suggested word replacement features from the iPad to the iPhone and iPod touch.

The new features first premiered on the iPhone OS 3.2 used exclusively by iPad, but when iPhone OS 4 hits this summer, it will extend the new features across Apple's range of mobile devices.

The spelling system extends the mechanism Apple created for copy and paste operations, enabling users to touch a misspelled word to select it, and then touch "Replace?" as an alternative to cut or copy operations.

The system then offers replacement word suggestions in blue type, allowing for one touch correction. Misspelled text is underlined in red, a convention from Mac OS X's system wide spell check that was originally taken from Microsoft Word.

Apple has also announced that iPhone OS 4 will bring iPad's Bluetooth keyboard support to the iPhone and iPod touch. For more information on the text features that debuted with iPad, see AppleInsider's In-depth review: iPad and iPhone OS 3.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this has been included since Beta 1, but with Beta 3 it got the familiar blue text to differentiate it.

Beta 1 was surprisingly stable, Beta 2 was surprisingly unstable, and Beta 3 is working out very well. While I don't think Apple would move up any release timeframe because of Gizmodo's unceremonious reveal of the iPhone HD I do wonder if the rumour of its release during WWDC might, in fact, be possible. I believe v2.0 had 7 Betas and v3.0 had 5 Betas before going Gold. At Beta 3, v4.0 is much farther ahead than I recall the other Betas at this point in the game.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Developers familiar with the iPhone 4.0 beta report that the new firmware brings spellcheck and suggested word replacement features from the iPad to the iPhone and iPod touch. ...

Two comments:
    • The pictures don't do a very good job of explaining what's going on.

• This will be a big disaster outside of the USA until Apple introduces an English dictionary for the iDevices.

I don't write American, I write using English. Having the squiggly red underlines is annoying if all the suggestions are going to be incorrect.

Apple needs to get the finger out and put UK English, Canadian English, Canadian French etc. dictionaries into the iDevices.
  • Reply 3 of 91
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    This was listed among the features from the very first beta of 4.0 a month ago. Good to see AI is up to date. :s
  • Reply 4 of 91
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    What does this add to the spell-check and word-replacement that iPhones have always had? Is this just for times when you didn?t accept the spelling suggestion the first time, but should have, and want to go back and have another shot at checking your document?
  • Reply 5 of 91
    tomozjtomozj Posts: 54member
    Anyone else here not like the blue text? It seems a but unclear with the black background.. red would make more sense to correspond with the underline or green to contrast it conveying a correct suggestion.

On the other hand, I could just be going mad..
  • Reply 6 of 91
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    The upper right picture - Is the OS offering phrase completion suggestions? I don't see any letter(s) below the three suggestions.
  • Reply 7 of 91
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Two comments:

• This will be a big disaster outside of the USA until Apple introduces an English dictionary for the iDevices.

I don't write American, I write using English. Having the squiggly red underlines is annoying if all the suggestions are going to be incorrect.

Apple needs to get the finger out and put UK English, Canadian English, Canadian French etc. dictionaries into the iDevices.

File a request with Radar. Localization requests usually aren't going to get processed and added to the software in a social forum.
  • Reply 8 of 91
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Two comments:

OK...

You are using an American computer, not a computeur.

Welcome to the 20th century, we've evolved past the linguistic quirks of the 19th Century.

You can start dropping those extraneous vowels, medieval spellings and butchered hick pronunciations. Since the collapse of the British Empire, even more modern offshoot dialects have evolved like the cowboy, aussie and kiwi. However we still don't let Garth Brooks have a special computer that types y'all instead of you. English accent and pronunciation has never been static throughout history, why start dragging your feet now?

Maybe it's time for all the fringe English dialects to stop confusing the matter out of cultural bias / fear of evolution and make a slight effort towards making communication easier. I mean we let you have the computers, the least y'all can do is edit a few stray letters to try & stay current.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    freqsoundfreqsound Posts: 16member
    What, spell bolour with a K? Kolour. What a silly bunt.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

OK...

Welcome to the 20th century, we've evolved past the linguistic quirks of the 19th Century.

Sometimes computers are designed to conform to the user, rather than requiring the user to conform to the device (or to the wishes of forum trolls). I?m not saying Apple designs that way, nor that it?s one of their strengths just that sometimes it happens
  • Reply 11 of 91
    johnblackjohnblack Posts: 9member
    I first read about this on April 9 on MacDaddyNews, http://www.macdaddynews.com/?p=2252

Is there anything actually new about this, or is AppleInsider just giving us old news on a slow news day?
  • Reply 12 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

OK...

You can start dropping those extraneous vowels, medieval spellings and butchered hick pronunciations. Since the collapse of the British Empire, even more modern offshoot dialects have evolved like the cowboy, aussie and kiwi. However we still don't let Garth Brooks have a special computer that types y'all instead of you. English accent and pronunciation has never been static throughout history, why start dragging your feet now?

Maybe it's time for all the fringe English dialects to stop confusing the matter out of cultural bias / fear of evolution and make a slight effort towards making communication easier. I mean we let you have the computers, the least y'all can do is edit a few stray letters to try & stay current.

In what context is non-American English "fringe". I guarantee you that the iPhone supports many languages that have less users than Britih English does. His request srems quite sensible, he's not asking for Old English or Latin.
  • Reply 13 of 91
    Quote:

Are you saying that British English is a "fringe English dialect"?
  • Reply 14 of 91
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    I just hope they fix the weird spell-check behavior that is the current one.

I hate that it corrects even though I don't want to.

Tap to change, not keep writing to change.
  • Reply 15 of 91
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnblack View Post

I first read about this on April 9 on MacDaddyNews, http://www.macdaddynews.com/?p=2252

Is there anything actually new about this, or is AppleInsider just giving us old news on a slow news day?

The answer is "yes".
  • Reply 16 of 91
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I'm trying to figure out why the four sample images show someone trying to spell in French using the English keyboard. (There's no globe icon next to the space bar is how I know.)
  • Reply 17 of 91
    ranreloadedranreloaded Posts: 397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The system then offers replacement word suggestions in blue type, allowing for one touch correction. Misspelled text is underlined in red, a convention from Mac OS X's system wide spell check that was originally taken from Microsoft Word.

I smell a lawsuit
  • Reply 18 of 91
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

I smell a lawsuit

i think its fair, apple copies a red underline and MS gets to copy the whole OS gui
  • Reply 19 of 91
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

OK...

Wow, what a completely offensive and unnecessary response.

No content, several lies, a personal attack, an attack on an entire country and a couple of bigoted remarks all in one post.
  • Reply 20 of 91
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Wow, what a completely offensive and unnecessary response.

No content, several lies, a personal attack, an attack on an entire country and a couple of bigoted remarks all in one post.

I thought it was well-poked bit of fun at the implication that British English is the "real" language and everything else is a dialect.