Who's Behind AAPL Stock Manipulation?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
And the question may also be, "Is AAPL being manipulated?"

As of this second, AAPL is now down to 240 from a recent high of 272...

Is the entire market this loopy, or is special attention being paid to AAPL by market manipulators?

(UPDATE: AAPL now at 230, a drop of 10%+!!! as of 11:48 AM West Coast time)

(YET ANOTHER UPDATE: AAPL now at 243.82, as of noon West Coast)

Man, what a slaughter...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Some sort of major volatility in the entire market.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    It is up from $77 a year ago, a drop from $270 to $230 is no big deal honestly. If you can't take volatility, don't buy a volatile stock like Apple. IMHO, this is a 2nd crash just like a year ago, $230 is just the beginning.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Paying much attention to the stock markets? All of the major indexes are down around 10% over the last week or so. The Dow fell that much in only a half hour last week.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    It will be freefall for all risk assets, and for treasury yields, if the EU comes out with anything less than a trillion dollar bailout, IMHO.

I have been buying oil puts since December a bit at a time, I was down 80%, now I am up 20%, all in one week.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

It will be freefall for all risk assets, and for treasury yields, if the EU comes out with anything less than a trillion dollar bailout, IMHO.

I have been buying oil puts since December a bit at a time, I was down 80%, now I am up 20%, all in one week.

I know too many people who have been bankrupted by shorting stocks in this market. Good luck to you.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I know too many people who have been bankrupted by shorting stocks in this market. Good luck to you.

I have put options, which means that my total loss is limited to my investment (10% of my net worth, it would hurt to lose it, but not bankrupt me). And the upside is 1000% return if the oil price crashes like it did last year.

A pure short has unlimited loss potential, and lower return on a win - but it does not have a time limit and it allows you to put the proceeds of the short into a pairs trade. Personally, I never do a pure short, because I don't sleep well at night with unlimited loss potential.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I have put options, which means that my total loss is limited to my investment (10% of my net worth, it would hurt to lose it, but not bankrupt me). And the upside is 1000% return if the oil price crashes like it did last year.

A pure short has unlimited loss potential, and lower return on a win - but it does not have a time limit and it allows you to put the proceeds of the short into a pairs trade. Personally, I never do a pure short, because I don't sleep well at night with unlimited loss potential.

To be honest with you, I don't involve myself in trades I cannot fully grasp as far as the total downside is concerned, so I understand your comment about unlimited risk. A "put" implies a risk that is a bit safer, but it's really not a strategy for me.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    What do you know, it is a trillion dollar bailout (750 billion Euros). And US taxpayers are paying 65 billion of it as part of the $400 billion IMF contribution.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

What do you know, it is a trillion dollar bailout (750 billion Euros). And US taxpayers are paying 65 billion of it as part of the $400 billion IMF contribution.

And Freddie just asked for 10.6 billion and Frannie just asked for 8.4 billion

60 Minutes aired a feature how to walk away from your mortgage, now everyone wants to do it.

600,000 defaults from the GSE´s in January 2010 alone vs 300,000 from the private sector.

Thank you Congress for doing such a wonderful job socializing the sub-prime housing market, sure your going to do a wonderful job with health care too. *rolls eyes*

Google ¨Section 9006 of the health care bill CNN money¨ for another surprise.