Apple begins accepting international iPad preorders

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Sunday updated its online stores and began accepting preorders for both the Wi-Fi and 3G iPad models, a day earlier than the previously announced first sale date.

The preorder pages went online slightly early, as Apple had originally announced it would begin taking orders on Monday, May 10, in preparation for a May 28 launch. The international launch was previously delayed from a scheduled late April debut due to stronger than expected demand in the U.S.

Preorders are now being taken through Apple's online stores in Germany, the U.K., Australia, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, and France. It will also launch in Canada and Japan on May 28, but as of Sunday evening those nations' sites were not accepting preorders.

As with the U.S. launch, preorders of the iPad are limited to two per customer.

Last Friday, Apple announced an international launch date of May 28 for the nine countries that can now preorder the iPad. Prices for the hardware are as follows:

Wi-Fi-only iPad:

16GB - ?479 Europe, £429 U.K., $549 Canadian, $629 Australian

32GB - ?579 Europe, £499 U.K., $649 Canadian, $759 Australian

64GB - ?679 Europe, £599 U.K., $749 Canadian, $879 Australian

Wi-Fi + 3G iPad

16GB - ?579 Europe, £529 U.K., $679 Canadian, $799 Australian

32GB - ?679 Europe, £599 U.K., $779 Canadian, $928 Australian

64GB - ?779 Europe, £699 U.K., $879 Canadian, $1,049 Australian

The first glimpse at international data plan prices for the 3G model also came last week, when Orange U.K. revealed that it will offer four different pricing options, including a pay-as-you-go price plan. A recurring monthly plan with 3GB of 3G data and unlimited browsing at Wi-Fi hotspots costs £15 ($22.02 U.S.), while a £25 ($36.71 U.S.) plan offers 10GB of monthly bandwidth.

The 9.7-inch touchscreen device will launch in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore in July, and nine additional countries will be announced at a later date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Apple is doomed!?

• Reply 2 of 71
    nautilus.nautilus. Posts: 67member
    Apple needs to love Canada more.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Do any of the countries accepting pre-orders NOT say "Delivers by May 28th"?

Taking all bets on when these dates will change as pre-order sales sell out.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    It's worth noting that it's not actually a day early. In each of those countries it is May 10. Which is why the iPad is not yet available for pre-order in Canada
  • Reply 5 of 71
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It's beginning to look like everybody will have an iPad before the iPad "killers" even make it to market. When you have a brilliant product combined with marketing genius it's pretty hard for others to compete. Some may have a good product but mediocre marketing. Others may have great marketing but a substandard product and you can only pile so much lipstick on a pig.

We'll see what happens when the so-called "killers" become available but it isn't looking good right now for the also rans. One thing is for damn sure, the Apple haters are completely apoplectic at this point. They are so enraged they can't get the words out in the right order. They're looking and sounding pretty pathetic lately, grabbing at any negative news or rumors. Desperation is setting in and, like any cornered animal, they are wildly lashing out.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    erictheberictheb Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jreddekopp View Post

It's worth noting that it's not actually a day early. In each of those countries it is May 10. Which is why the iPad is not yet available for pre-order in Canada

but it's been "tomorrow" in Japan longer than anywhere else on the list (including Australia by an hour or two). ;-)

Interesting after seeing AT&T's pretty good plans and Orange's very good ones in the UK to see that Japan is getting crushed on 3G plans by SoftBank. Two-year contract and about $30 per month.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erictheb View Post

but it's been "tomorrow" in Japan longer than anywhere else on the list (including Australia by an hour or two). ;-)

It's available there too. I'm not sure how long it's been up, but it's there now: http://store.apple.com/jp
  • Reply 8 of 71
    matthew yohematthew yohe Posts: 310member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The preorder pages went online slightly early, as Apple had originally announced it would begin taking orders on Monday, May 10...

Seriously? It has been "tomorrow" for hours now in some parts of the world.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

my first thoughts when I read the article.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    It was the 10th when I pre-ordered my 32GB iPad (3G + WiFi), although only just! When I started trying to order Apple still hadn't finished putting up the tariff details (in the UK). The data plans a bit disappointing I must admit.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Yeah, what a colossally stupid story. Sending everyone to the order site when they aren't even on sale yet.

More evidence of how this site hasn't got a clue when something happens outside of the USA. Shameful really. And of course they will never admit it or acknowledge the mistake.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    glennpglennp Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Interesting after seeing AT&T's pretty good plans and Orange's very good ones in the UK to see that Japan is getting crushed on 3G plans by SoftBank. Two-year contract and about $30 per month.

East Coast of Australia (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane etc) are 1 hour ahead of Japan so they see Tomorrow before Japan does.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    bryandbryand Posts: 78member
    Its now well past midnight in Canada on May 10 and we still can't pre-order the iPad. I guess Apple lied about it being available today in Canada.

Another disappointment. I'll have to wait for an announcement for when I can actually order it. Maybe the demand in the U.K. and Germany was too much so we get short-changed again.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    mavismavis Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Yup, and they priced themselves right out of at least one customer. There's no chance I'll be bending over and grabbing my ankles for an iPad. $30/month with a two year contract for a SIM-locked iPad? That's a joke, right?!
  • Reply 15 of 71
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryand View Post

Its now well past midnight in Canada on May 10 and we still can't pre-order the iPad. I guess Apple lied about it being available today in Canada.

Another disappointment. I'll have to wait for an announcement for when I can actually order it. Maybe the demand in the U.K. and Germany was too much so we get short-changed again.

It's only past midnight in Ontario and east of that. Go west and it is still the 9th of May. Patience...

philip
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

It's only past midnight in Ontario and east of that. Go west and it is still the 9th of May. Patience...

philip

So I have to stay up to 3 am in hopes that they may make it available for sale? What if I go to bed and they sell out before morning?
  • Reply 17 of 71
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryand View Post

So I have to stay up to 3 am in hopes that they may make it available for sale? What if I go to bed and they sell out before morning?

I'm sure you'd survive, but if it's that important then just keep waiting...

philip
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I'm sure you'd survive, but if it's that important then just keep waiting...

philip

Two years ago, I got up at 4 am and line up outside a Fido store to buy an iphone. I was second in line, but they refused to sell one to me because I was an existing Fido customer. I had to wait nearly a month to get my iphone and I had no choice because Rogers and Fido (which is owned by Rogers) were the only suppliers in Canada. I raised hell and got nowhere, although they claimed I was moved up the list I still had a long wait to get my iphone.

This experience reminds me of that. For sure when I get my iphone 4g it will be with Bell and I will let fido know why I'm canceling. I have a long memory when it comes to bad service. Apple has already made us wait a month. This is like the bad old days when Apple computers weren't available in Canada until months after their introduction date. Once again, I have no choice but to wait, but I won't forget this.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Somebody tell me how far in advance Apple put a hold on the fund/charge on the card before the shipping date? Need to make some room on my CC, silly/sad I know but this is an exception. I would rather save and wait than denting my CC even further for pricey stuffs but this is one rule that can be break (so I make myself to believe).
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Somebody tell me how far in advance Apple put a hold on the fund/charge on the card before the shipping date? Need to make some room on my CC, silly/sad I know but this is an exception. I would rather save and wait than denting my CC even further for pricey stuffs but this is one rule that can be break (so I make myself to believe).

I think that the policy is that they charge your card when the product ships. Probably 2 or 3 days before, but if you pay your credit card 5 days ahead you will most likely be safe. I have the same concern because I max out my credit card every month, although I also pay the full balance every month. Timing is very important and with the release near the end of the month, I have to be careful to make sure my card isn't maxed.