Update for Apple's MacBook Air rumored to arrive Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It will be interesting from a technical standpoint to see what CPU it uses, since it is so thin.

Isn't the Mac Pro also due for an update? And the Mac Mini could do with that new NVidia integrated GPU they launched with the Macbook Pros.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

does this product make sense anymore with ipads entering market?

If it can be sold at a profit by Apple, it makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    spinnerlysspinnerlys Posts: 218member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by powderdust View Post

Could you imagine. Touch screen?

I'd have one right away. It would have Flash too - great for using todays websites.

Could you imagine holding out your arms every time in order to touch the screen?
  • Reply 24 of 103
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Could you imagine holding out your arms every time in order to touch the screen?

I think a redone trackpad is in order, one that allows greater space and more gestures. A screen would be awesome, but would likely be too heavy.
  • Reply 25 of 103
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It makes no sense. The 13" MacBook Pro is far more functional for the price, and the iPad with bluetooth keyboard is more travel friendly for road warriors.

Kill the MBA already, and use the engineering resources for something more worthwhile.

This is what I am talking about. I bought the ipad (which my family has taken over). My old macbook pro finally crapped out on me and I looked at the 13" vs the macbook Air and I thought, I have the ipad for the super portability, why not just go with the macbook pro for the laptop.
  • Reply 26 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

If it can be sold at a profit by Apple, it makes perfect sense.

true, but with the ipad coming out it will be interesting to see what those sales will me in the future.
  • Reply 27 of 103
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I think the Air will hold its ground. It's a great machine (though certainly not designed for everybody) and it has its fan base. I love mine and when it comes time to upgrade it I will probably look at another Air.
  • Reply 28 of 103
    Netbooks are crap.

iPads are not full Computers.

MBP 13" is a little too big for lots of people.

Give us a skinny 11" MB_.

11" screen

64-128GB SSD

no optical drive

4GB ram

and most importantly... Give us a docking solution.
  • Reply 29 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I think the Air will hold its ground. It's a great machine (though certainly not designed for everybody) and it has its fan base. I love mine and when it comes time to upgrade it I will probably look at another Air.

You may be correct here, just wondering. If I traveled with a laptop more, I would probably get the air for the weight reason alone ... especially if they get more battery life in the new model, which I think they will. The 13" I just bought is fantastic ... I can't get the battery to drain in a day.

The big question for me is will the ipad become a traveling machine. If it does, I think the Air will lose some luster. I'm very impressed so far with the ipad as a POTENTIAL traveling machine, especially with apples iWork software. I'm already used to not having the keyboard and mouse and I love it. The screen keyboard is very tricky at first.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out.

Not true. Is it really too much trouble to get the facts before launching into your anti-iPad whining.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

How do you charge the iPhone with an iPad? And more...

You plug the iPhone into the wall socket?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It makes no sense. The 13" MacBook Pro is far more functional for the price, and the iPad with bluetooth keyboard is more travel friendly for road warriors.

Whether you like it or not, there is a place for the MBA. A true road warrior is probably not going to be satisfied with the iPad, even with a bluetooth keyboard. And the 13" MBP isn't significantly more functional. The only thing it has going for it is an optical drive - which is a problem for some people but not for all.

In fact, since using my iPad with LogMeIn, I'm more likely to buy an MBA for my next laptop, rather than less likely. I have all my files on my home server which I can access all the time, so there's no need for all the much processing power on my laptop.
  • Reply 31 of 103
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It will be interesting from a technical standpoint to see what CPU it uses, since it is so thin.

Well, there was this via the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/external/idg/...ops-83924.html
  • Reply 32 of 103
    I hope it's upgrade of the iMac.

I really want to buy a new iMac so I starting to hold my breath.

Gettin blue now, bluer and bluer?
  • Reply 33 of 103
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    The MBA sucks.
  • Reply 34 of 103
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:

I see them continuing to consolidate the laptops until the MacBook Air can be made to be on par with the MacBook Pro (in terms of power and speed).

As an iPad owner, I can say it has certainly eliminated the use of my laptop for many of my day to day tasks. Add one or two more features and I won't need to pull out my laptop for anything other than "heavy lifting".
  • Reply 35 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, there was this via the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/external/idg/...ops-83924.html

If they really are releasing so soon I doubt it will have more than 2 cores. Remember the brand new 13" only has 2 cores.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    I don't understand this need to have one 'appliance' be everything to all people!

Is there overlap? Of course.

I enjoy my iMac with a large screen, wireless keyboard and the new 'touch' mouse.

I enjoy my MacBook b/c it does 99% of what my iMac does but I can do it at a restaurant sitting by the lake, (ie., create reports, update my website, etc.)

I enjoy my 3Gs iPhone b/c it does 85% of what my MacBook does as far staying connected and therefore I don't have to carry my MacBook everywhere I go!

I will enjoy my iPad 3Gs because it will allow me to show clients reports, website, etc., and I can 'view' media by that lake or in my living room, books, magazines, etc.

If business is good and my 4 year old MacBook gives up the ghost, I will most likely buy a new upgraded Air. Thinner, lighter, no superdrive and better battery pwr, 'instant on' SSD...far superior to my MacBook!

If my 4 year old intel iMac dies, I will replace it with a 27" iMac.

I will upgrade my iPhone to the 4th gen, too. If it is smaller, thinner, lighter, faster and has better battery life than my 3Gs.

It's all about productivity and ease of use! Hard to put a price on that!

Best
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Hey - here's a what-if for ya.

What if the MBA was to become the larger iPad Pro? Kinda makes sense if you think about it.

Brian
  • Reply 38 of 103
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Actually, now that I am using my iPad constantly, but still unable to leave my 13" MBP at home, the idea of an MBA is more appealing to me. (I guess I should also add that I recently sold my Nikon D3 as I am not actively doing photography anymore, so I don't really need the MBP horsepower.)

I would need a 10 hr battery in the MBA for it to be tempting to me, though. If they release a refresh that has the glass touchpad, black bezel, 4GB RAM, and 500GB HD, I think I would want one.

Fan or not, you have to admit that having TWO computers for a total of around 4 lbs. that can both run all day without being plugged in would be pretty remarkable!
  • Reply 39 of 103
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

If they really are releasing so soon I doubt it will have more than 2 cores. Remember the brand new 13" only has 2 cores.

Supposedly new chips designed for ultra-thin laptops, which would not have been available for the 13" MBP. But, given the timing, it's probably not that likely, unless Apple got chips ahead of everyone else. But, I didn't look up the specs on these, so they might not be suitable.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I would need a 10 hr battery in the MBA for it to be tempting to me, though. If they release a refresh that has the glass touchpad, black bezel, 4GB RAM, and 500GB HD, I think I would want one.

Agreed! Well said....if the new MBA has the features you suggest, I think it could replace not only my MacBook but also my iMac as well. Perhaps I won't replace my iMac with another iMac after all. Just end up with an MBA, iPad and no desktop! Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

My daughter has only a MacBookPro and an iPhone for Med School. I offered to get her an iMac as well and she said no. She wants to keep things 'simple' and travel 'light!' Interesting.