Update for Apple's MacBook Air rumored to arrive Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    cedriccedric Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true. Is it really too much trouble to get the facts before launching into your anti-iPad whining.

Sorry for being wrong about connecting a camera to it. I guess I should think a little longer before writing something. Anyway I just wanted to point out that the MBA and the iPad are two different things and I guess 80% of the people or more would agree with that.

Whether you prefer the MBA or the iPad depends on your needs.

I'm not anti-iPad! I'm just not a fan of it since I don't think it fits my needs. That's it.
  • Reply 42 of 103
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Right, kill a perfectly good product that sells well and is liked by many because *you* personally don't like it. Do you seriously think that's how companies make business decisions?

Does it sell well? Here in San Francisco, where you can't turn around without seeing a Macbook, I almost never see anyone with an Air. I think Apple keeps the Air around for image purposes and because of Jobs' obsession with thinness over function.
  • Reply 43 of 103
    before the iPad I thought the future was the Air. Thin, light, 'instant on' SSD...I thought Apple would expand the line up to sit atop the MacBookPro line. A 10", 13", 15" and possibly a 17" Air.

Apple would then have two distinct 'pro' lines and people could decide which is the winner.

Granted the Air would have to have better battery life, lower cost, larger HD and more RAM than the current MBA. No small order!

Then the iPad came on the scene...for basic emailing, web browsing and viewing media it is truly a revolutionary product and may have put the kabash on the MBA expansion! If that was ever Apple's intention to expand the MBA lineup.

For Apple, these are 'good' problems to have!
  • Reply 44 of 103
    imawakeimawake Posts: 2member
    The Macboook Air has a great screen that doesn't appear as glossy as the macbooks or pros. It can be used outdoors and the bezel gives it a clean, uniform look.

I just wish apple would drop its price, put i3/i5 in it and add more useful ports. If it had 3 usb ports and firewire or esata for $1500, I'd buy it.
  • Reply 45 of 103
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Does it sell well? Here in San Francisco, where you can't turn around without seeing a Macbook, I almost never see anyone with an Air. I think Apple keeps the Air around for image purposes and because of Jobs' obsession with thinness over function.

Then we must be living in different parts of San Francisco. I too live here and I do see people with MBA's. I see them quite a bit at SFO (Airport) and in downtown lounges in SF. I've owned my MBA for almost two years now. Fantastic machine. An iPad will never replace that simply because I use it to run VMware/XP on it and obviously, an iPad can't do that. What most people on this forum just truly, do not get - in even the least, is that the MBA does only a few things very well and that is it. Couple that with its weight / mobility (I commute by motorbike) and it without a doubt the most versatile BUSINESS-class machine around.

The only reason why folks never hear anything about the MBA is that most users are quite happy and don't feel the need to get on a forum and advertise it unlike the MBA haters that have used one for probably 2 minutes in an Apple store. Most MBA owners I know are professional, business-minded individuals and not the multi-USB-port, blu-ray, Crysis at 130fps type of crowd.
  • Reply 46 of 103
    imawakeimawake Posts: 2member
    Yeah, when I lived in SF, I saw people with Macbook Airs (mostly in north beach). Not frequently, but enough to recognize they they were popular or trendy enough.
  • Reply 47 of 103
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I see them continuing to consolidate the laptops until the MacBook Air can be made to be on par with the MacBook Pro (in terms of power and speed).

As an iPad owner, I can say it has certainly eliminated the use of my laptop for many of my day to day tasks. Add one or two more features and I won't need to pull out my laptop for anything other than "heavy lifting".

I agree with this totally. It took me a while to get past that on-screen keyboard because i was taught to type properly, unlike my son, who was enjoying watching me struggle the first day we had the device

Now I see the potential of the ipad device and I like it better than I thought I would.
  • Reply 48 of 103
    voodooruvoodooru Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Please no! I bought mine last week after waiting for three months hoping for it to be updated.

don't sweat it.

14 day return policy

take it back and tell them you're exchanging it for the new version. they should waive the restocking fee since it's under 14 days and replacing for a new model.

• Reply 49 of 103
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

does this product make sense anymore with ipads entering market?

honestly I don't think so. the Air never had the power to really do much of anything. and giving it that power would backtrack on the size factor cause of the need for batteries, fans etc. I really think they should just let it die

Quote:

Please no! I bought mine last week after waiting for three months hoping for it to be updated.

IF this update is real, they will allow you to return and upgrade or get the price difference as long as you do it rather quickly. like in the first couple of weeks. Also, since you used the first one there is technically a restock fee but if you are polite about it, often the managers will waive it since you are upgrading. Just make sure you back up the old guy cause they don't owe you a data transfer just cause. And I would verify the update and then wipe the old one yourself just to be safe. Who knows how long it will sit around the refurb center before someone does it.

Quote:

If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out.

Camera connection kit and a wifi link up.

As for charging, you always have the wall charger.

And you are right about one thing, the ipad is NOT a computer. Apple never claimed it was. This has always been positioned as a secondary piece to your 'complete solution'.

however you are wrong in the sense that the Air is fully featured. it is too slow for most of the things that an ipad can't do. Some of them will work but no where near as well as a Macbook/Pro. particularly given the huge price markup.

Quote:

Right, kill a perfectly good product that sells well and is liked by many

if you are going to make that statement you must have numbers to back it up. so give up the info.
  • Reply 50 of 103
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Here's a couple advertising angles to get rid of remaining stock of last year's model.

World's lightest, most expensive laptop, almost as powerful as a $500 netbook, but without the optical drive or standard connections.

or:

Twice as big as an iPad, 7 times more expensive, and 36% better performance! Plays Flash!
  • Reply 51 of 103
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Why is it that AppleInsider's home page is being overwhelmed by flash based advertising that takes up over half of the width of the home page?
  • Reply 52 of 103
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It makes no sense. The 13" MacBook Pro is far more functional for the price, and the iPad with bluetooth keyboard is more travel friendly for road warriors.

Kill the MBA already, and use the engineering resources for something more worthwhile.

I sold my MBA and bought a unibody MacBook about 18 months ago because 2GB of ram didn't suffice for me. I would much, much rather have a MacBook Air than a 13" MacBook Pro -- IF each has 4GB of ram. If the new MBA has 4GB of ram, I will order one immediately.

The only processors that I can imagine being offered are the i7-620LM and the i7-640LM.

I really hope that the MacBook Air follows the recent example of the 15" MBP and the not-so-recent example of the 17" MBP and comes with a 132dpi screen -- at least as an option.
  • Reply 53 of 103
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

if you are going to make that statement you must have numbers to back it up. so give up the info.

This article is about Apple possibly updating the Air. If it is indeed true, then Apple believes the market is still out there. So that is enough as far as I'm concerned.

In this particular case, for you to imply that it is not selling well, why don't you provide the numbers to back that up?
  • Reply 54 of 103
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

does this product make sense anymore with ipads entering market?

Sure. If you need to run specific Mac applications, expect to be doing a good deal of content creation (including typing), etc., the Air would be a better fit than the iPad alone.

And if your needs are modest, and weight is a real issue, the Air might be better than a MB or 13" MBP.

Lots of people, lots of potential requirement differences.
  • Reply 55 of 103
    Quote:

If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out. That's where you need a MBA.

Been doing it for a couple weeks now. Not sending out masses of pictures, but in small batches through email, sure. It's better for showing collections to friends/potential clients.

Quite useful, actually.

Now, editing the pictures, that's something else entirely. For now.
  • Reply 56 of 103
    Quote:

Right, kill a perfectly good product that sells well and is liked by many because *you* personally don't like it. Do you seriously think that's how companies make business decisions?

Only the successful ones.

{ ducks, scurries away }
  • Reply 57 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Here's a couple advertising angles to get rid of remaining stock of last year's model.

World's lightest, most expensive laptop,

Not even close to being the most expensive, even discounting high-end MBP models. Like a Sony Vaio TT (with an 11" screen, at that), or one of the upper model Alienware laptops.

Quote:

almost as powerful as a $500 netbook,

Right. Them Atoms being so powerful.

Wait.

Quote:

but without the optical drive or standard connections.

Ah yes, the netbooks with built-in optical drives. Kind of scarce on the ground, except for something like the Asus Eee PC 1004DN. With an Atom N280 processor, 10-inch display, and weighs 3.19 pounds. Which is .19 lbs heavier than an Air. Smaller display.

Kewl.

Not quite set for marketing, at least where truth in advertising laws apply.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    scubyscuby Posts: 1member
    I think this page is fairly definitive on what the new Macbook Air will focus on:

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

If you look at the bottom, there's already an updated graphic linking to the Macbook Air page. It says "more storage, faster graphics".

I'll be interested to see what the whole thing looks like though, I've been thinking about getting a MacBook of some sort for a while now, and as I don't do anything that needs a powerful processor I thought i'd wait and see what the new Air offers before choosing one.

David
  • Reply 59 of 103
    mauricemaurice Posts: 1member
    I am changing my MB soon and am waiting on a MBA refresh. Apart from the power increase and ram, one thing I really want are built in stereo speakers not the Mono speaker the MBA currently has.

Question to MBA users : is the MBA loud enough, I mean as loud as a 13" MBP?
  • Reply 60 of 103
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

The MBA sucks.

Not really. It has a smaller targeted market, people who need light-weight notebook appreciate it.