Apple, AT&T originally agreed to iPhone exclusivity until 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

you need some basic technology courses. Even when the Big Red does launch a full 4G network, they will ALWAYS rely on CDMA/3G (1x EV-DO signal), a WORLD-WIDE ACCEPTED STANDARD....

Verizon will get LTE this year. And you people on AT&T will have to wait until 2012.

Your belief that CDMA is a world-wide standard is just as correct as your believe that every GSM user is on AT&T -- especially here in Europe. Only an american could believe that the world ends at the US border.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Agreed. Also, the recipe to the Colonel's chicken definitely impacts KFC's earnings, so it should be public.

Don't forget Coke! Need to have that recipe!! Luv my Coke... cut me and I bleed Coke...
  • Reply 23 of 91
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPhone will never be on Verizon anytime soon for many reasons, but one in particular: inability to use voice/data at the same time.

Apple Corporate would explode with irony if the feature they lambasted is suddenly a feature on their own product.

The ability to make calls is probably more important to 99.999% of iPhone buyers.

That's one of those spec list features that is icing on the cake. Being able to place a call in NYC or other places AT&T sucks is several orders of magnitude more important. In other words calling would be priority 1. Having internet while calling would probably be priority 289 to most people. Including me. I'm going to get an iPhone when the 4G comes even if it is AT&T but I'm going to utilize that magic 15-day return window. if service sucks or calls drop, it's going back and I'm going right back to Verizon. Droid for me.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheRobin View Post

Why is all this so secret? These kind of things most definitely effect the companies earnings etc. Both of these companies are publicly traded. Shouldn't they be letting their shareholders know details like this?

Are you a shareholder? I am not. So i would not know. May be they let shareholder know but not stakeholders.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    twiztdtwiztd Posts: 3member
    Apple is going to have to break this exclusivity in order to stay at the forefront of the smart phone market. They were really starting to reap the rewards even with the AT&T exclusivity when Google showed up. Due to the muti-carrier/multi-supplier of Android based phones, Apple will be caught with their puds in their hands( in my opinion, they already have ).

I am amazed that a company ( Apple ) would actually make such a long term EXCLUSIVE agreement with another company ( ATT ) for so long in a technology like wireless phones. The shelf life of the average phone is only about 6-8 months.

As far as the CDMA issue.....most everyone is not getting it: Qualcomm has millions of these they would love to sale to Apple. Its not that hard to recode for new hardware. This is a moot point.

Next, LTE. Again, people are not getting the point. CDMA will remain the backbone infrastructure for VZW for many years to come.....long after the phone you buy this year or next, finally dies and you are on the 20th iteration of the model. LTE will mainly handle data requirements. Much like EVDO handles the data portion now.

With LTE being released in limited markets at first and not having even 75% saturation for a couple years to come, a CDMA only version would still be an acceptable technology. More than likely, Apple would release the CDMA only model and then the CDMA/LTE the following year knowing the demand would help aid them in obtaining record sales year after year. This is what Apple does well. It gives you a breakthrough device, but, holds back and "crumb feeds" its customers from one year to the next.

Even if the deal is broken between Apple and ATT, Apple needs to really make some serious updates to the iPhone before they release it on another carrier. Most phones now have serious amounts of onboard memory with expansion slots. They also have cameras that are way ahead of the iPhone. While a few people may say these things are not important, they may not be.....to those few people.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Just this past weekend I was on a phone call with someone who needed an address, brought up the web browser on the phone and was able to help them out, all without dropping the call, ending the call, or using a separate device.

Palm Pre Plus on Verizon.

My friend had a similar experience and was able to bring up the web browser on the phone and was able to help them out, all without dropping the call, ending the call, or using a separate device.

iPhone on AT&T

Just because AT&T and iPhone is 'Whoops-a-Daisies' in your area, doesn't mean it's not 'Fine and Dandy' in mine!
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Are those dropped calls really so bad? Statistics shows that at&t has 4.5% dropped calls against 2.5% on Verizon. It is 5 out 100 calls dropped on at&t. So worst scenario is 2 calls dropped a day. Is it really that hard to redial? Or all of you are involved in business there every lost minute costs thousands of $ ?

Yes at&t costs more but you get that iPhone for a $100 when it costs unlocked no less than $600 in other countries.

So is it really all that bad. Or you just reluctant to change your carrier?
  • Reply 28 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twiztd View Post

More than likely, Apple would release the CDMA only model and then the CDMA/LTE the following year

If you believe this, you don't know Steve Jobs and you don't understand Apple's corporate culture. It is nearly inconceivable that Apple would sell different iPhones for different networks. Apple will produce one iPhone for the most standard network protocols. If Verizon want to play with Apple, then Verizon need to play by the standards Apple have chosen. Apple will not change for Verizon.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I'm happy enough with AT&T. I do wish it was better sometimes, but it's good enough and reliable enough for my daily needs. Big Red is the only provider I have never tried. Either way, I am sure if this contract is still valid, Apple will most certainly find a way to get out of it.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twiztd View Post

Apple is going to have to break this exclusivity in order to stay at the forefront of the smart phone market. They were really starting to reap the rewards even with the AT&T exclusivity when Google showed up. Due to the muti-carrier/multi-supplier of Android based phones, Apple will be caught with their puds in their hands( in my opinion, they already have ).

I am amazed that a company ( Apple ) would actually make such a long term EXCLUSIVE agreement with another company ( ATT ) for so long in a technology like wireless phones. The shelf life of the average phone is only about 6-8 months.

As far as the CDMA issue.....most everyone is not getting it: Qualcomm has millions of these they would love to sale to Apple. Its not that hard to recode for new hardware. This is a moot point.

Next, LTE. Again, people are not getting the point. CDMA will remain the backbone infrastructure for VZW for many years to come.....long after the phone you buy this year or next, finally dies and you are on the 20th iteration of the model. LTE will mainly handle data requirements. Much like EVDO handles the data portion now.

With LTE being released in limited markets at first and not having even 75% saturation for a couple years to come, a CDMA only version would still be an acceptable technology. More than likely, Apple would release the CDMA only model and then the CDMA/LTE the following year knowing the demand would help aid them in obtaining record sales year after year. This is what Apple does well. It gives you a breakthrough device, but, holds back and "crumb feeds" its customers from one year to the next.

Even if the deal is broken between Apple and ATT, Apple needs to really make some serious updates to the iPhone before they release it on another carrier. Most phones now have serious amounts of onboard memory with expansion slots. They also have cameras that are way ahead of the iPhone. While a few people may say these things are not important, they may not be.....to those few people.

So closed minded. Market share is not the measure to tell that one phone is at the forefront of smart phone market. As market name tells you it is how smart the phone is the measure to tell.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Why is this news? This had already been talked about back when the iPhone first launched. Leo Laporte was going on about how the iPhone was locked to AT&T until 2012, because the contract was for 5 years.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

Are those dropped calls really so bad? Statistics shows that at&t has 4.5% dropped calls against 2.5% on Verizon. It is 5 out 100 calls dropped on at&t. So worst scenario is 2 calls dropped a day

Yeah that's about right. I don't mind it actually. I am not obsessed about 100% reliability like some people. In the end, it's about what serves you best. I always use mark the spot if it fails, which in most cases doesn't. I think I fall into the 7% range of dropped calls, but I don't mind. I just enjoy my phone. I do track data speeds using speedtest. Here's a snippet, unedited except for removal of wireless speeds.

However it is UNACCEPTABLE that certain areas have less than optimal coverage and reliability.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    <If Verizon want to play with Apple, then Verizon need to play by the standards Apple have chosen. Apple will not change for Verizon.>

and they don't have to!

too many brilliant people telling apple (steve jobs) what to do when he has $40 billion net, in the bank, faster than any other company ever invented.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

The ability to make calls is probably more important to 99.999% of iPhone buyers.

....Having internet while calling would probably be priority 289 to most people. Including me.

That's what most Verizon users say, and ATT is doing a poor job with its ads of explaining why it's so important. But if you ever had the ability to get data while you were on a phone call, you'd understand very quickly why it's so huge.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    mudpudmudpud Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Your belief that CDMA is a world-wide standard is just as correct as your believe that every GSM user is on AT&T -- especially here in Europe. Only an american could believe that the world ends at the US border.

I'm actually a full-blooded European

CDMA is available in more than the US - looks like you need do some learning before you open your mouth. It happens to be available in 30+ countries.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHarborGuy View Post

Why is this news? This had already been talked about back when the iPhone first launched. Leo Laporte was going on about how the iPhone was locked to AT&T until 2012, because the contract was for 5 years.

It's news because wishful fansites have started about 300 false rumors in the past 2 years...

It's no secret AT&T's network is ass, but that doesn't mean they're dumb enough to cancel the contract with Apple. And Apple cancelling the contract would probably cost them big time, so don't get your hopes up until 2012.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

If you believe this, you don't know Steve Jobs and you don't understand Apple's corporate culture. It is nearly inconceivable that Apple would sell different iPhones for different networks. Apple will produce one iPhone for the most standard network protocols. If Verizon want to play with Apple, then Verizon need to play by the standards Apple have chosen. Apple will not change for Verizon.

They've already done it once (China), so I wouldn't go around saying words like inconceivable. Not that I think it will happen, but that's not the reason why it's not going to happen. There are two reasons - one is the terrible user experience when the user can't get online at the same time as he is on a call, and two is contractual.

Just to illustrate, just 5 minutes ago I got off the phone with my girlfriend. She was waiting for a metro to arrive, but didn't know when it was coming, and couldn't find out because her BB is on VZ. She suggested that I should look it up for her on my iPhone while we talked. I laughed and accused her of iPhone envy, which she agreed to.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    mudpudmudpud Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Whereas I don't like the fact that CDMA and GSM are incompatible,

Whereas this is frustrating since I now have to reactivate my BlackBerry each time I travel back to Europe since my HTC DROID Incredible is CDMA only

Whereas I am in general not a fan of region-branded DVDs, different electrical plugs and voltages,

None of this changes the fact that I, a former AT&T customer, hate the aforementioned company, their crappy implementation of GSM, a European standard and while I do love Apple, I hate what the iPhone has become.

Did you know that if you try and use a calling card to make an international call on AT&T, they charge you as if you never used a calling card but dialed directly from their phone?!?!?!?!?!?

One of the many reasons why I hate AT&T. Verizon rocks for me ... since 2005

PS before you make assumptions about people, look at yourself first. The comment section here could do with fewer of your crappy comments.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    twiztdtwiztd Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

So closed minded. Market share is not the measure to tell that one phone is at the forefront of smart phone market. As market name tells you it is how smart the phone is the measure to tell.

Actually, market share is THE way to see if you are at the forefront. This means you have a product that everyone is killing themselves to get to ( from the cell phone carriers to the end user ). You can have the greatest product on the planet, if no one is buying it because it is tied to another product that is less than desirable, you can't move it. While I can not argue the sales the iPhone has had, if I were Steve-O, I would still have to see it as a loss knowing that I could have sold more making it a multi-carrier product.

VZW's CEO has said they would like the iPhone....Apple just has to make it. So it is not VZW not wanting to play ball, it is Apple. Why should VZW want to spend hundreds of billions to change to GSM when Apple can change a radio for about $5.00 more per unit?

How many customers haven't left VZW or Sprint because of ATT's network? I bought the 3Gs the day it came out. Didn't port my number as I wanted to try it. The hardware was superb. The network was horrible. Coverage and voice quality were no where near VZW's. After 2 weeks, I was back to my VZW phone. Got the Moto Droid. While it is not as attractive as the iPhone, it is a nice phone that has some/better features than the iPhone. I do prefer the iPhones GUI as it is more attractive.

This is my unbiased view and comparing apples to apples ( pun intended ).
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:

It happens to be available in 30+ countries.

30 countries is not worldwide. Worldwide is over 200 countries.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

They've already done it once (China)

No, all they did for China was remove one feature. They didn't make it incompatible with the rest of the world.

Quote:

PS before you make assumptions about people, look at yourself first. The comment section here could do with fewer of your crappy comments.

You started the presumptions about others, specifically that I use AT&T -- despite every post I make indicating that I'm in Europe.