Update for Apple's MacBook Air rumored to arrive Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by powderdust View Post

Could you imagine. Touch screen?

I'd have one right away. It would have Flash too - great for using todays websites.

What would it run? There's no Touch Screen Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Actually Flash is a pretty big enemy of Air. It heats it up to extreme temps.
  • Reply 62 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

. . . almost as powerful as a $500 netbook . . . Twice as big as an iPad, 7 times more expensive, and 36% better performance!

What a stunning ignorance of the technical differences between the Nvidia9400/Core2Duo and the underpowered chips that you find in netbooks. The cramped, crappy keyboards and screens you find on netbooks simply cannot be compared to the LED screen and properly sized keyboard found on the MBA.

36% better performance than an iPad? Such a comment is even more ignorant than the other one.
  • Reply 63 of 103
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    The MBA is a brilliant machine. I have just about every Mac going and the MBA is by far and away my favourite. I don't miss the optical drive, I think I have only ever plugged the drive in twice since I have owned this machine. I think people here are obsessed with speed and performance but we have now reached the point where the most basic machine is fast enough for about 98% of the population.

I think there would be a market for a 10.6" MBA, it would be really popular with all sorts of people. The iPad will eventually go the same way as the Palm Pilot. Apple will sell millions but in fifteen years time we will still be buying laptops but doubt the iPad will still be on sale in 15 years.
  • Reply 64 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imawake View Post

I just wish apple would drop its price, put i3/i5 in it and add more useful ports. If it had 3 usb ports and firewire or esata for $1500, I'd buy it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The only processors that I can imagine being offered are the i7-620LM and the i7-640LM.

i3 - maybe - if they're willing to give up the discrete graphics. It may not matter for the MBA.

i7 or i5? Not a chance. Energy consumption is way too high.
  • Reply 65 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm not seeing a viable option in Intel's lineup for the MBA update. Could they be using another chip not yet released to the general public?

I hope it's updated, but with Intel HD IGP as the only option Arrandale seems unattractive. Also, the biggest failing of the MBA is the anemic battery life.

PS: The largest 1.8" HDD and SSD seem to both top out at 160GB but I think the HDD is a couple millimeters thicker. This year will bring with 50% more storage at the same price point. That tipping point is getting closer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibgarrett View Post

What if the MBA was to become the larger iPad Pro? Kinda makes sense if you think about it.

Do you have an argument and scenario as to how that could possibly work? I can't think of any that make those a convergence device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

i3 - maybe - if they're willing to give up the discrete graphics. It may not matter for the MBA.

i7 or i5? Not a chance. Energy consumption is way too high.

The MBA currently uses an IGP, not a dGPU.

Core-i5 and i7 are the ONLY Arrandale options for the MBA. Core-i3 only offers 35W chips.

Core-i5 and i7 both have 18W chips. These are an extra 1W TDP over the current CULV C2Ds, but they more than makes up for it by integrating the Northbridge. The part mclaring got wrong is the model number, which end UM/UE, not LM.

Still, there are other issues than the power and heat requirements being okay. I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.
  • Reply 66 of 103
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Right, kill a perfectly good product that sells well and is liked by many because *you* personally don't like it. Do you seriously think that's how companies make business decisions?

Are you really asking this about a company whose hardware and software features change based on Steve Job's whim?
  • Reply 67 of 103
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scuby View Post

I think this page is fairly definitive on what the new Macbook Air will focus on:

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

If you look at the bottom, there's already an updated graphic linking to the Macbook Air page. It says "more storage, faster graphics".

I'll be interested to see what the whole thing looks like though, I've been thinking about getting a MacBook of some sort for a while now, and as I don't do anything that needs a powerful processor I thought i'd wait and see what the new Air offers before choosing one.

David

That is such an awesome find, especially seeing as that pic says NEW.

Hopefully storage includes RAM. As for faster graphics, I'm guessing that implies the same deal as the 13" MBP, C2D and 320 whatever GPU? All reports suggest that the solution would not be in any way faster if they went low wattage i7 or similar.
  • Reply 68 of 103
    sinisterjoesinisterjoe Posts: 134member
    Big fan of the MBA. Bought one last year and I'm very satisfied with it. I'll probably skip this years model though. Don't need an upgrade quite yet. More memory & battery life would be on the top of my list. I think performance is fine for what it is. I actually hope they keep the visual style about the same. The silver border just looks better to me. Not a huge fan of the new glass trackpad either but I suppose that's inevitable. Would like to see a 10" model too.
  • Reply 69 of 103
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    Perhaps I am in the minority, but every time I open up my MacBook Pro I sigh when I look at all the space that the optical drive is wasting. I would much rather have that space occupied by more LiPo battery cells. As crazy as it sounds, after using the iPad since it came out, I frequently feel as though I am carrying around a notebook that is thicker than it has to be.
  • Reply 70 of 103
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

.... 7 times more expensive......

Really don't know basic arithmetic, do you?
  • Reply 71 of 103
    avayasavayas Posts: 3member
    I have a first gen MBAir and think it's the best laptop I've ever used. Compared to a Dell or Sony laptop there is just no comparison. I do see Macbook Pro 13" as a better 'value' however, but I'm willing to pay a premium for the form factor.

There are a few things I would like it to have:

1. more memory

2. longer battery life

3. better ports - more accessible USB port since some USB devices can't connect directly since the space is so tight. This forces me to use a USB cable of some type, and to me is a fatal design flaw

4. stronger screen hinge

5. of course better performance

and...

6. a price drop

I don't think the above wishes are too much to expect. If they have all 6 I'll be the first to buy a new one.
  • Reply 72 of 103
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

...you can't compare the MacBook Air to the iPad. One is a fully featured small computer, while the iPad... isn't.

I must've fallen asleep and woken up on Opposite World.

When did one USB port = "fully featured" ? Wha?

Yikes!
  • Reply 73 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Are you really asking this about a company whose hardware and software features change based on Steve Job's whim?

Funny, those "whims" brought Apple back from the brink and turned it into a consistently profitable and influential company.

Success in the computer/personal electronics industry is not about placating the idealistic and vocal minority but creating value for as many of their customers as they can. Despite the whining and ranting that pollutes the blogosphere and forums, Apple has done a pretty good job overall at this.
  • Reply 74 of 103
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Right, kill a perfectly good product that sells well and is liked by many because *you* personally don't like it. Do you seriously think that's how companies make business decisions?

I'd love to know just how well the MacBook Air sells, and in particular, in comparison to the 13" MacBook Pro.

What do you reckon the ratio will be?

100:1?

500:1?
  • Reply 75 of 103
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I'd love to know just how well the MacBook Air sells, and in particular, in comparison to the 13" MacBook Pro.

Don't have figures, but it's a start: Top Seller Lists for Mac:

US Apple Store #6

Japan Store #5
  • Reply 76 of 103
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Actually you can transfer pictures from a camera to an ipad using the camera connection kit. Apple demonstrated this.

But how do I get them from my iPad to an external hard drive?

I'm typing this on my iPad, but also have a MacBook with me to save files off of my cards to my hard drive
  • Reply 77 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

You mean the iPad Camera Connector kit doesn't actually exist? It's the same one as the iPod Camera Connector Kit that has been around for ages.

Actually it's not. I have the iPod connetor and it doesn't work on the iPad.

Quote:

If anything kills off the Air it would be the 13" Pro

I agree. I was hoping for a footprint like my PB G4 12" . The air was a disappointment in that regard. However if I was a frequent flyer and needed a capable machine, the air still has quite a bit of appeal.
  • Reply 78 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Yes, Apple continuously flys off the handle with half-assed decisions.

Bbecause that's how successful companies operate
  • Reply 79 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrumbleGus View Post

Funny, those "whims" brought Apple back from the brink and turned it into a consistently profitable and influential company.

Success in the computer/personal electronics industry is not about placating the idealistic and vocal minority but creating value for as many of their customers as they can. Despite the whining and ranting that pollutes the blogosphere and forums, Apple has done a pretty good job overall at this.

Thank god apple pretty much ignores such idiocraty and continues to march to their own drummer. Laughing all the way to the bank...
  • Reply 80 of 103
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Core-i5 and i7 are the ONLY Arrandale options for the MBA. Core-i3 only offers 35W chips.

Core-i5 and i7 both have 18W chips. These are an extra 1W TDP over the current CULV C2Ds, but they more than makes up for it by integrating the Northbridge. The part mclaring got wrong is the model number, which end UM/UE, not LM.

The 25W of the i7-620LM and i7-640LM represents a reduction from the 17W of the SL9300 and SL9400 due to the incorporation of the northbridge. The LM series is the replacement of the SL9xxx series. The UM (which are too slow to put in a MBA) are the replacement for the SU9xxx processors.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

The 13" MacBook Pro outsells the MacBook Air by about 2:1.