Verizon advertising partner rumored to be working on iPhone campaign

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true. CDMA won't allow you to browse the web while you talk on the phone. For some people that may not matter, but for others, it's very important.

That's nice IF you have a 3g signal, which many do not. You ain't browsing the web and talking on the phone while accessing the edge network.

Now, I give ATT some credit. Their 3 g network is getting better and is covering more land area but its no where near Verizon's.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    ftbotsbftbotsb Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

7. No hiring surge of CDMA engineers by Apple

8. Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg practically begging for the iPhone a couple of months ago. Apple partners generally clam up real tight when there's a deal in the works.

Advertising co's work on various campaigns all the time. It's like News co's writing obits for VIPs before they're RIP.

9. Gizmodo's tear down of the stolen device didn't mention a cdma chipset.

--

From the Basement of the Science Building
  • Reply 63 of 92
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

We'll see about that. I'm a huge Apple fan boy, I love my MBP, but I'm not so sure I want an iPhone any longer. Not with all the restrictions! Up until a month ago, I was convinced I wanted one and I was willing to wait a few more years/ months, but I no longer want one. And I'm not the only one.

Everyone has the iPhone now - so the popularity factor is working against it, at least with a subsegment of the audience. Have the "Google phone" is the new IT thing!

I am a huge consumer of Apple products, but not a "fan boi" or anything of the sort. I like to make rational choices based on facts. On the other hand, the facts usually end up being that the Apple product is orders of magnitude better than the competing products.

I think people are better off in general if they drop the buzzwords and think rationally about what kind of restrictions there are and whether they really affect you materially or morally.

All products have restrictions associated with their use, the question is are the particular restrictions that you believe Apple imposes really a big deal to you personally? The answer for most people is a simple "no". In reality, almost all the things that iPhone can't or won't do, have been addressed or will be addressed by the 4.0 operating system. Other than the criminal side of things there isn't much at all that Android can do (at least post OS 4.0), that the iPhone OS can't.

I find it kind of crazy when people talk about the "restrictions" with Apple's iPhone OS, when in fact the most glaring restriction or difference between iPhone OS and Android is only the censorship in the app store. Personally, I find it disturbing and highly offensive that Apple applies some kind of made in USA moral guidelines to the apps but it's not enough to overcome the advantages of the platform for me. Others make their own decisions of course.

I find it paradoxical that this moralistic, religious-based censorship they employ doesn't seem to alarm or bother many people at all, yet everyone still goes on about the "restrictions"? I don't see what these "restrictions" are that get's everyone so upset if it's not that. Flash doesn't run on any mobile platform currently and what the developers use to make the apps is completely irrelevant to the end user.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ftbotsb View Post

9. Gizmodo's tear down of the stolen device didn't mention a cdma chipset.

I don't recall seeing anything about the chips used because of the soldered heat shield.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    This is getting SO old. I take it all with a grain of salt...since NO ONE has been right about ANYTHING Verizon iPhone (or the "SURE THING" Verizon iPad). Again, I personally hope it does happen so all the people who think that Verizon and the iPhone will be some kind of KY his and hers orgasmic combination will no doubt be let down and will have nothing left to live for except the sight of their flacid Verizon iPhone...therefore freeing up forums (and mobile networks) across the country when they inevitably kill themselves. Seriously... I can't wait.
  • Reply 66 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Next you'll be telling me 'horses sleep standing up!

They would when uncle Ernie came a visitin'. Everyone did.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wish T-Mo would buy/merge with Sprint and roll out WiMax more quickly...

You act as if Deutsche Telecom isn't T-Mobile's parent.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    idreamzidreamz Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Interesting...do you know any dumb phone/any network that syncs contacts with Apple's address book?

Re. Thinking of getting an iPad 3G and giving up my iPhone for a 'dumb' phone because of costs!

Thanks

Before my iPhone, I had a Motorola Krazor and use to sync my contacts using iSync on my iMac with Bluetooth.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wish T-Mo would buy/merge with Sprint and roll out WiMax more quickly...

I have zero faith in WiMAX as a viable '4G' tech. I predict that Sprint will be announcing support for LTE within 2 years.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idreamz View Post

Before my iPhone, I had a Motorola Krazor and use to sync my contacts using iSync on my iMac with Bluetooth.

Good to know. Thanks!
  • Reply 71 of 92
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

...I just think $110/mo for my 3Gs and an additional $30/mo for an iPad 3G just too much. But that's just me.

Two iPhones and a 1400 minute plan for $190/month. It's crazy, isn't it?
  • Reply 72 of 92
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

They would when uncle Ernie came a visitin'. Everyone did.

Just wear two pair of jeans!
  • Reply 73 of 92
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

You don't live in these areas which is the point. If you did you'd understand how severe the problems actually are. If AT&T is going well for you then keep using them. In NYC, you have a hard time making a phone call and the data speeds are slow because there is such a high concentration of iPhones.

Maybe it's at&t's fault or maybe the iPhone usage is killing the network. Either way, the situation is becoming unbearable and the only solution is to make it available on multiple carriers.

Unbearable to who? I live in the South Bay of the SFBA and I have had in my 12 years with Cingular/AT&T NO problems with the network. Not with my original Nokia brick, my Ericsson flip phone nor my iPhone since 2007. Wait, let me say, probably 10 dropped calls during that time. Sorry.

AT&T has served me very well as well as the 30 people or so I know that have the iPhone. All I ever hear from them is how they would never go back.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That's nice IF you have a 3g signal, which many do not. You ain't browsing the web and talking on the phone while accessing the edge network.

Now, I give ATT some credit. Their 3 g network is getting better and is covering more land area but its no where near Verizon's.

That type of blanket statement is meaningless.

In areas with decent AT&T 3G coverage, AT&T's network is much faster than Verizon's. The majority of the US population lives in these areas.

In the largest part of the country (geographically), you can get Verizon 3G and only EDGE from AT&T, so Verizon wins.

In very remote areas, you can get AT&T EDGE, but not Verizon at all. I believe that the number of people completely un-reachable by the network is 3 times as high for Verizon as for AT&T.

So it's impossible to say that one location is 'better' overall. It depends on what matters to you and where you are located (or where you travel).
  • Reply 75 of 92
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

What is open standard syncing? Does the iPhone use it?

I assume he is talking about SyncML, and according to Wikipedia the iPhone only supports it for contacts.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    moved delete
  • Reply 77 of 92
    ogmudboneogmudbone Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That type of blanket statement is meaningless.

In areas with decent AT&T 3G coverage, AT&T's network is much faster than Verizon's. The majority of the US population lives in these areas.

In the largest part of the country (geographically), you can get Verizon 3G and only EDGE from AT&T, so Verizon wins.

In very remote areas, you can get AT&T EDGE, but not Verizon at all. I believe that the number of people completely un-reachable by the network is 3 times as high for Verizon as for AT&T.

So it's impossible to say that one location is 'better' overall. It depends on what matters to you and where you are located (or where you travel).

True you should pick your network before your phone, as what is a phone if you can't connect? But there have been tons of complaints about AT&T's reliability. Over all it sees Verizon is a much more reliable service. I know when I switched from AT&T I noticed call quality was a lot better, although that could of been the handset but I moved from an iPhone so I doubt it, I also never have dropped calls on Verizon, which would happen occasionally on AT&T.

Some areas you only get one or the other, or Sprint or T-Mobile, so you have to buy from that company. But the majority of people in America can get strong signals from both Verizon and AT&T, however from personal experience AT&T's 3G service is more spotty than Verizon, Verizon's seems to also be more available in buildings, and Verizon's call quality and reliability is better.

Also if Verizon got the iPhone, they'd have one heck of a phone line up.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

too little too late - from both Apple & VZW. This is now "end of the summer, maybe" kind of situation. Android's the platform of the future

HTC DROID INCREDIBLE with GOOGLE

• Yeah, sleep well with your entire online life on file with an advertising company.

• I'm yet to see Android as "the platform of the future"...The most interesting inovations with Android have come from HTC, NOT Google....

• Google seems to have no long term vision with their releases.... How miserable were the Droid 1.0 users when 2 months after they got their phone, it was a dinosaur next to the Nexus One AND they had to wait ages to upgrade their OS? Good luck with Droid 2.0!

• Reply 79 of 92
    jim95jim95 Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

7. No hiring surge of CDMA engineers by Apple

Apple wouldn't necessarily need to hire new engineers, for all we know they may already have some on staff. Remember, when Steve Jobs first introduced the Intel Macs, he said that they'd had them running in the Apple labs for the previous 5 years. What's to say that Apple hasn't done the same with a CDMA iPhone, and that they haven't already had prototypes running in the lab for some time now, just waiting for the time to come to release them? If the rumors are true that Apple initially approached VZW about the iPhone before AT&T (which I don't think has ever been proven), it's very much possible that they've had prototypes since then.

Just a thought...
  • Reply 80 of 92
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Let's just get a quick tally:
    • Adobe: Flash has driven the companies apart

• Amazon: iPad VS Kindle

• Google: Obviously, the competing operating systems

• Verizon: Being tied to AT&T, Verizon has taken direct aim at the iPhone in their commercials (island of misfit toys, Big Red ads, countless others)

Verizon?s attack on AT&T have been BRUTAL. The accusation (whether right or wrong) is that it?s an inferior network with inferior technology. There?s a lot of brand loyalty to Verizon, I?ve really struggled to get people to switch to the iPhone because of the networks. These attacks on AT&T directly effect the image of the iPhone. Obviously Apple needs to run the numbers. Maybe it would be prohibitively expensive to maintain 2 versions of the phones. I hope they?re doing everything possible though to consider broadening their user base?All these bloggers that hate Verizon because they were rude to SJ? Get real?

I just think about war tactics. I really question whether Apple is taking on too many foes at once. Adobe, Amazon and Google are MASSIVE. For that reason, Apple needs to make sure that those on board with their vision, have the flexibility of choice with networks.