Verizon advertising partner rumored to be working on iPhone campaign

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

too little too late - from both Apple & VZW. This is now "end of the summer, maybe" kind of situation. Android's the platform of the future

HTC DROID INCREDIBLE with GOOGLE

I'm waiting on the EVO from sprint. I want that 4G so bad I can smell my nose hairs burning from the speed of it.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

LOL! Android is not the future. Google's takeover of the world is.

misguided
  • Reply 83 of 92
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good point. The success of the Droid may make Apple rethink their Verizon position. Who the hell knows!

I don't think apple considers giving away hardware a success.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That type of blanket statement is meaningless.

In areas with decent AT&T 3G coverage, AT&T's network is much faster than Verizon's. The majority of the US population lives in these areas.

In the largest part of the country (geographically), you can get Verizon 3G and only EDGE from AT&T, so Verizon wins.

In very remote areas, you can get AT&T EDGE, but not Verizon at all. I believe that the number of people completely un-reachable by the network is 3 times as high for Verizon as for AT&T.

So it's impossible to say that one location is 'better' overall. It depends on what matters to you and where you are located (or where you travel).

Why is it meaningless?

You're touting the virtues of ATT's 3g simultaneous voice and data network and conveniently fail to mention that it's fairly limited to major metro areas. Maybe you live in Philly and vacation in Hilton Head, SC. Have you tried surfing the web and making a call there on the iPhone? Don't.

If you get out much you'll run into ATT's edge network. It isn't pretty.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

Let's just get a quick tally:
    • Adobe: Flash has driven the companies apart

• Amazon: iPad VS Kindle

• Google: Obviously, the competing operating systems

• Verizon: Being tied to AT&T, Verizon has taken direct aim at the iPhone in their commercials (island of misfit toys, Big Red ads, countless others)

Verizon?s attack on AT&T have been BRUTAL. The accusation (whether right or wrong) is that it?s an inferior network with inferior technology. There?s a lot of brand loyalty to Verizon, I?ve really struggled to get people to switch to the iPhone because of the networks. These attacks on AT&T directly effect the image of the iPhone. Obviously Apple needs to run the numbers. Maybe it would be prohibitively expensive to maintain 2 versions of the phones. I hope they?re doing everything possible though to consider broadening their user base?All these bloggers that hate Verizon because they were rude to SJ? Get real?

I just think about war tactics. I really question whether Apple is taking on too many foes at once. Adobe, Amazon and Google are MASSIVE. For that reason, Apple needs to make sure that those on board with their vision, have the flexibility of choice with networks.

Adobe is NOT massive, but think that if you wish.

Google is spreading itself too think and already start to fail in new markets, i.e. The Jesus phone. They have found out that being in the hardware business isn't all that easy.

Amazon is "massive" as an online reseller, but that is about it, again it's one thing to be an eBay it's another thing to compete in a market that you aren't equipt for. The kindle was great when it was the only big game in town, especially when you can put it on the front page of your site to hawk it. Now the big boys are playing and the game has changed.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    What if it's just an anti-iPhone campaign? Just because it's an ad campaign related to the iPhone doesn't mean it's to sell iPhones. Not saying for sure. Just throwing it out there.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

I don't think apple considers giving away hardware a success.

Understood. Apple's focus on Margin as opposed to Market share is the way to go.

Just saying, irrespective of the 2 for one sales...and multiple models from multiple carriers....it's still pretty impressive they have had this kind of 'success' early on whichever way you measure it.

Especially, when you compare it to the recent attempts by Palm, Windows Mobile, Zune, or RIM for that matter.

I'm not a big fan of Google except for Search...I find their other programs a bit fractured and all over the place. Better than MS but not by much!

Best!
  • Reply 88 of 92
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Google is spreading itself too think and already start to fail in new markets, i.e. The Jesus phone. They have found out that being in the hardware business isn't all that easy.

...and I am sure they'll have learned their lessons like Apple did from their partnership with Motorola and the ROKR. How easily people forget that one. Where do you think the iPhone would have been if Apple hadn't made that mistake?

The Nexus One is a good product. It's everything else that held them back. After-market service/support, marketing, lack of subsidies, the whole direct to consumer sales model. It'll be good for them if they learn, like Apple did from the ROKR experience.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fireball1244 View Post

a VeriPhone.

/chuckles That's a good one.

Why would apple invest in Verizon when its international sales keeps growing!
  • Reply 90 of 92
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

...and I am sure they'll have learned their lessons like Apple did from their partnership with Motorola and the ROKR. How easily people forget that one. Where do you think the iPhone would have been if Apple hadn't made that mistake?

The terrible ROKR experience was Apple's fault, not Motorola's. Apple crippled the phone by only allowing 100 songs to be loaded on it. So what did Apple learn? That artificially hobbling a product does not help sales?
  • Reply 91 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

The terrible ROKR experience was Apple's fault, not Motorola's. Apple crippled the phone by only allowing 100 songs to be loaded on it. So what did Apple learn? That artificially hobbling a product does not help sales?

The 100 song limit was far from the only issue making the ROKR a less than ideal phone. The 100 song limit was an artificial limit, but at 4 minutes a song that is only 128 songs. I have to wonder if the shitty software had a very limited DB, but surely advertising 100 songs and then having it store more wouldn't have been a technical problem. Either way, the entire idea was flawed from conception.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Now that Apple have confirmed that they are bound to AT&T through 2012 this rumor is either "busted" or related to the recently disclosed information that Verizon is preparing to deploy the Google phone.

The other possibility is that Apple themselves are spreading rumors to generate "buzz".

One other thought is that 2012 is probably close to the timeframe of 4G deployment which has been the subject of some speculation about the next iPad. Some people think that 4G may actually be deployed in 2011, but that is a matter of some speculation.