Verizon, Google collaborating on Android-powered iPad competitor

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam revealed to The Wall Street Journal Tuesday that his company is working with Google to create a tablet device to compete with the iPad.



"What do we think the next big wave of opportunities are?" McAdam said during an interview with the paper. "We're working on tablets together, for example. We're looking at all the things Google has in its archives that we could put on a tablet to make it a great experience."



The chief executive declined, however, to discuss details on the hardware, such as who might manufacture it or when it would be released. Android has played a significant role in Verizon's efforts to combat the iPhone, and McAdam portrayed the collaborative tablet effort with Google in the same light as their existing handset efforts.



When Verizon and Google announced their partnership last October, they even went as far as to specifically highlight the ability of Android phones to utilize the Google Voice service -- something Apple has famously prohibited from software on its App Store.



Years ago, Verizon passed on the iPhone, and AT&T instead signed a longterm exclusive contract with Apple for the touchscreen device. The iPhone has helped AT&T to close the gap with Verizon, which is the largest wireless carrier in the U.S.



McAdam told the Journal that Verizon now must catch up with AT&T in the mobile data business, as AT&T is the exclusive carrier for Apple's iPhone, and offers the only 3G data plans in the U.S. for the iPad. He noted that Verizon's CDMA network has held it back, but revealed that the carrier will show new 4G-capable devices in early 2011, when its new high-speed network is in place. The current plan is to have the network operational in 25 to 30 cities by the end of 2010.



McAdam said he believes the new network will usher in tiered data plans for his network, noting that "the old model of one price plan per device is going to fall away." He acknowledged that users who buy devices that run on next-generation networks will likely pay more to access than customers do on current 3G networks.



For its part, AT&T has repeatedly denied that it will move towards tiered data plans for mobile customers. But AT&T Chief Executive Randall Stephenson raised eyebrows in March when he said he believes the industry will move towards "variable pricing." The exclusive carrier of the iPhone currently offers unlimited plans for Apple's handset, as well as the iPad.



"For the industry, we will progressively move towards more of what I call variable pricing," Stephenson said in March. "The heavy consumers will pay different than the lower consumers."
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 86
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam...



    Verizon Wireless CEO to clarify (Verizon's "chief" CEO is Ivan Seidenberg)



    Check out my own prediction!
  • Reply 2 of 86
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    I am at the Boylston Apple Store in Boston right now and they are out of stock of all iPads -- wifi and 3Gs.



    It's already 830 pm, and still lots of people. The competition has to really work hard and be very innovative and very imaginative to come up with something that will compare with the iPad.



    Using the iPad 3G of course, but cannot test the 3G feature.



    CGC
  • Reply 3 of 86
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam revealed to The Wall Street Journal Tuesday that his company is working with Google to create a tablet device to compete with the iPad.



    "What do we think the next big wave of opportunities are?" McAdam said during an interview with the paper. "We're working on tablets together, for example. We're looking at all the things Google has in its archives that we could put on a tablet to make it a great experience."



    Yeah, put them all in. That's the ticket.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Well this should put to rest any ideas of a Verison iPhone now, right?
  • Reply 5 of 86
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Is Apple the gold standard now? I bet Verizon regrets passing on the iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post


    Reason: Does anyone read this?



    Nope.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,922member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam revealed to The Wall Street Journal Tuesday that his company is working with Google to create a tablet device to compete with the iPad.




    I love how Apple can still completely surprise the industry in this day and [information] age. I mean, even my mother knew Apple was working on a tablet but nobody knew what it was going to be or do. They still had to wait to see the iPad to know what to make to compete with it.



    Here, they seem to be admitting that it will take two of the biggest companies in the industry working together (with Apple's blueprint to boot) to come up with something.



    I suppose this either makes people love Apple or hate Apple...
  • Reply 8 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,614member
    So long as Verizon keeps its mouth shut and stays out of the way, this could just catch on!



    </sarcasm>
  • Reply 9 of 86
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post


    Verizon Wireless CEO to clarify (Verizon's "chief" CEO is Ivan Seidenberg)



    Check out my own prediction!



    More of a confusing mish-mash of confusing mish-mash than a prediction IMO.



    Your main argument, (that the iPad is too heavy), is not supported by the very comparisons you yourself make with other current products.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,614member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    I love how Apple can still completely surprise the industry in this day and [information] age. I mean, even my mother knew Apple was working on a tablet but nobody knew what it was going to be or do. They still had to wait to see the iPad to know what to make to compete with it.



    Here, they seem to be admitting that it will take two of the biggest companies in the industry working together (with Apple's blueprint to boot) to come up with something.



    I suppose this either makes people love Apple or hate Apple...



    It's certainly a sad state of affairs that after all this time, the rest of the industry has now delegated themselves to the bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of innovation. They have to do minimal R&D work now since they essentially wait for what Apple comes out with and then get the copy machines fired-up.



    Of course, there will be those folks that will say that Apple was not the first to create a tablet. However, I think everyone can agree that Apple for the most part got it right, and on their first attempt too!
  • Reply 11 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    I love how Apple can still completely surprise the industry in this day and [information] age. I mean, even my mother knew Apple was working on a tablet but nobody knew what it was going to be or do. They still had to wait to see the iPad to know what to make to compete with it.



    Here, they seem to be admitting that it will take two of the biggest companies in the industry working together (with Apple's blueprint to boot) to come up with something.



    I suppose this either makes people love Apple or hate Apple...



    We can almost guarantee the VerOogle pad will include features everyone complained were missing in the iPad, right?



    Video conferencing, possibly camera.... what else?
  • Reply 12 of 86
    gchristegchriste Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    We can almost guarantee the VerOogle pad will include features everyone complained were missing in the iPad, right?



    Video conferencing, possibly camera.... what else?



    You mean the features that have caused it to be a sales flop?



    /sarcasm
  • Reply 13 of 86
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    ...However, I think everyone can agree that Apple for the most part got it right, and on their first attempt too!



    Unless you count the Newton as a tablet...

    (I admit it's debatable)
  • Reply 14 of 86
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,183member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    I love how Apple can still completely surprise the industry in this day and [information] age. I mean, even my mother knew Apple was working on a tablet but nobody knew what it was going to be or do. They still had to wait to see the iPad to know what to make to compete with it.



    Here, they seem to be admitting that it will take two of the biggest companies in the industry working together (with Apple's blueprint to boot) to come up with something.



    I suppose this either makes people love Apple or hate Apple...



    This post says it all.



    We will deconstruct this phenomenon for years to come....... I don't think it (iPad+iPhone+iPod) can be matched -- even by Apple -- in the future.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,183member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gchriste View Post


    You mean the features that have caused it to be a sales flop?



    /sarcasm



  • Reply 16 of 86
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    We can almost guarantee the VerOogle pad will include features everyone complained were missing in the iPad, right?



    Video conferencing, possibly camera.... what else?



    oooo dont forget the built in USB port and SD card reader.



    And im not talking about the kind you can plug into the 30 pin connector... what are we, in the ice ages?? </sc>



    /rant on



    It is actually quite a sad day because all google is going to do now is release some iPad clone that is not quite as good in any areas, BUT is a lot cheaper.



    This then results in all the google fan boys saying that the new googlepad is better thanks to it having higher market share etc etc. Lets not also mention the amount of those fanboys that will upgrade multiple times a year due to wanting the latest and greatest. (Hell at least apple give us about a 2 year upgrade cycle - ie from the 3G you could skip the 3GS and go to the 4G/HD without missing too much)



    reality is, using the iphone as an example here.

    How many models of the iphone have been released in total? 3 by my count not including memory differences.

    How many Android phones have flooded the market in the past 12 months?



    If the android product was THAT good it would not need to release 20 different iterations of the same thing. It would (to coin a phrase) "just work". 1 release a year would be all that would be needed. The issue with this is that each of these manufacturers want to one up the other and so the battle of "what you have a 3.2mp camera? well mine has a 12mp one" "what your phone has an app store? thats nothing mine can create dreams from unicorn tears"

    Its basically the old one upsmanship of the old mobile race. As soon as people stop accepting the fact that cheaper is not alway better we may actually start getting some innovation from people other than apple.



    /rant off
  • Reply 17 of 86
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    It's certainly a sad state of affairs that after all this time, the rest of the industry has now delegated themselves to the bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of innovation. They have to do minimal R&D work now since they essentially wait for what Apple comes out with and then get the copy machines fired-up.



    Of course, there will be those folks that will say that Apple was not the first to create a tablet. However, I think everyone can agree that Apple for the most part got it right, and on their first attempt too!



    Right on!
  • Reply 18 of 86
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    If they take Paul Thurrott's advice and make the overall dimensions 16:9 i'll laugh my azz off.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,364member
    Google/verizon will release a 'Free' (2yr contract) iPad 3g clone. It will be crap but sell millions!



    'Give the razor/camera away and sell the sh*t out of razor blades/film."



    It's an old tried and true business model! All Google wants is mobile market share to sell the advertising! They will give all hardware away for this reason alone!



    I remember the first 'digital' LED calculators back in the 80's selling for big bucks. the next thing you know they're hanging them on mail boxes as promotions for Real Estate agents. Or anyone remember the Casio LED 'calculator' watches...I was a navigator in the Navy in 1979 and loved that watch ($80 in 1979 dollars, now $1.99 or free).



    Tech is going this way (netbooks, laptops, cameras, etc., etc.,) ...Apple is doing an amazing job of keeping itself above the fray and letting everybody else eat their own arms and legs...think Dell, Palm, HP, Sony, Nokia, Symbian, Nintendo and on and on! All they are doing is wearing out the manufacturing machines to chase single digit (or less) profit margins!
  • Reply 20 of 86
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post


    The competition has to really work hard and be very innovative and very imaginative to come up with something that will compare with the iPad.



    Not really. Similar hardware to what is found in the iPad along with a copy of Android. It might not be innovative or imaginative but it would provide strong competitor to the iPad.
Sign In or Register to comment.